10,000 Islands Flroida the hunt for Gag Groupers

Miami101

It was time again to head toward 10,000 Islands. Last year I went after the Gag, and Black Groupers that come in land this time of year. Also my friends and his father who I have fished with in the past and have a long history with this part of Florida invited me to come out. Both Jim/Jade Engskow fish this area, and also take great photos.

I was happy for the invite also photos I had lost my camera before this trip.

Cigars: Monte 2, JL 1

The Ten Thousand Islands are a chain of islands and mangrove islets off the coast of southwest Florida, between Cape Romano (at the southern end of Marco Island) and the mouth of Lost man’s River. Some of the islands are high spots on a drowned shoreline. Others were produced by mangroves growing on oyster bars.[1] Despite the name, the number of islets in the chain only number in the hundreds.

I found this photo online, but the funny thing is it is the area I was fishing:

07_10_10000_Islands_Marco.jpg

Here are a few photos taken by Jim Engskow:

DSC_3276b.jpg

DSC_3258b.jpg

DSC_3253b.jpg

DSC_3263b.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Miami. You really suck. Everytime i think i have the saltwater out of my system i see your posts and i immediately go into withdrawls, yet again. Your posts are the main reason i keep checking back here. Thank you for providing a fix. I appreciate your trips and the time you take to post photos and report.

I fished 2 winters in Florida. One winter up in Port Charlotte and another winter out of Goodland. I can see where i caught my very first snook in this top photo... At the very tail end of the forked key, between Gullivan and Turtle Keys. I think it may be called Grassy Point. Of course i can see where i caught a couple of other fish here as well.:daydream: That photo encompasses maybe 90% of my Florida fishing. Man i miss Goodland in the winters. Had a fishing boat for the back country and hit it pretty hard. I will try posting some shots for you soon.

Thank you and please keep posting your fishing trips. I know i am not the only one who quite enjoys them!