Behike storing

Hi all,

My first box of Behikes, from the FOH Christmas behike sale, is on its way.

I am wondering what is the best way to age/store them - put their nice box inside the humidor? or take them out of their box and store them in the humidor?

cheers,

Amos

Amos,

I have a box of BHK 52. The box is so gorgeous, I couldn't bear taking them out. I store the cigars in the box. So far, no problems for me. I can't say for sure if it's right or wrong. Normally I wouldn't hesitate since cigar boxes usually allow air in and out. The Behike boxes are sealed much better than most though. I think I saw somewhere that they use magnets to seal the box closed.

I don't have a lot of storage space so I had to remove them from the box. However, if I had more room I think keeping them in the lacquored display box wouldn't cause any issues. Great looking display box and even better cigars, enjoy!

Since the subject has come up, what about the wax paper, ribbons, plastic over individual cigars and other accessories that are found in many cigar boxes. Is it a problem to leave everything intact? Any opinions?

:yes: I've still got on hand two Behike 56's from previous sampler special orders courtesy of the Czar as of last year. They're big, they're hefty - they'll wait for a special "special" occasion before I light one up. And they're resting just fine in my Daniel Marshall Humidor along with the Tampa and Czar customs from that period too.

Since the subject has come up, what about the wax paper, ribbons, plastic over individual cigars and other accessories that are found in many cigar boxes. Is it a problem to leave everything intact? Any opinions?

I really don't think it's a problem. Think about the warehouses where these are stored until you buy them ... everything intact.

That said, I personally try to keep the amount of cardboard in my bins to a minimum, because they retain a bit of moisture and can start giving off an odor if things go wrong. Other than cardboard, though, I leave everything in it's original box, even dress boxes (though I've considered swapping my dress boxes for empty cedar boxes). I do KEEP my outer boxes though, when they are cool looking. I plan to have a man cave at some point and figure they would make nice displays.

My question is whether these boxes are humidor-quality. They looked pretty darn nice on the unboxing videos I saw, and I thought I saw a magnetic lock. If it seals well enough, it might work as a travel humidor.

I really don't think it's a problem. Think about the warehouses where these are stored until you buy them ... everything intact.

That said, I personally try to keep the amount of cardboard in my bins to a minimum, because they retain a bit of moisture and can start giving off an odor if things go wrong. Other than cardboard, though, I leave everything in it's original box, even dress boxes (though I've considered swapping my dress boxes for empty cedar boxes). I do KEEP my outer boxes though, when they are cool looking. I plan to have a man cave at some point and figure they would make nice displays.

My question is whether these boxes are humidor-quality. They looked pretty darn nice on the unboxing videos I saw, and I thought I saw a magnetic lock. If it seals well enough, it might work as a travel humidor.

I just checked and they indeed have magnets in the lid. I never knew...

thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

i made up my mind - it is going to be in their original box, without the cardboard and all other supplements.

i am going to use the amazing box as a travel humidor later on.

now all i need is to get these bad boys...

cheers

I believe it really depends on the boxing date of the Behike box if you should store it in its original container or not.

At least I have a box of Behike 56 from Mar 2010 where I had to take out the cigars because of the varnish smell. I have another box of the 52s from about half a year later and there is no varnish smell what so ever. Maybe I was just unlucky with my first box, maybe the Cubans used a diffrent varnish in the first batches. And if you have a box that does not smell of varnish there should be no problem at all.

BTW - I have the same 'smelly' issues with the San Cristobal series made for La Casa del Habano and the Upmann travel humidor (with the six Robustos). Very intensive varnish smell. Do not like this and 'out-placed' the cigars.

^ Very good point. I always check any varnished/painted box before putting it in my humidor bins, to make sure there is no odor. I find there often is lately, and in those cases I put the cigars in the bin and leave the boxes out to dry for a few weeks. They typically dry out just fine with no more lacquer odor (or whatever that is).