Montreal Winterherf Liquor Registry.

Attention all Montreal Herfers.

The Saturday before dinner we are going to have a meet and greet at the hotel. Simon(Strada) has reserved a conference room for us. BYOB to share with the gang.

Post what you plan on bringing to share in this thread.

I'll go first. Thanks to Art for the suggestion for the thread. :ok:

Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old Scotch Whiskey (Single Malt of course).

Exellent idea boys.

Put me down for a bottle of gentleman jack

Funny, I just bought a bottle of this to try out last week. Very nice and smooth on ice and pairs up well with a cigar!

A question. It looks like we might end up with a hell of a lot of booze. Would everyone rather pitch in to buy a few things locally and take it from there? Otherwise we're going to get hammered beyond belief. I sampled 15 Different Scotches last May. It's not an experience I want to repeat. :pooped::no:

hmmm that could be a good idea Frank, everyone throws in 20$-30$ or so...we are 22 atm so thats what 440$-600$...we could go to the saq signature and buy 5 nice bottles of scotch? is that what your thinking?

hmmm that could be a good idea Frank, everyone throws in 20$-30$ or so...we are 22 atm so thats what 440$-600$...we could go to the saq signature and buy 5 nice bottles of scotch? is that what your thinking?

Exactly! A few bottles of Scotch. Or mix it up a little. Some Scotch a Cognac and maybe some Pinnacle Iced Cider?

I like this new idea as well. From the contributions we could get a serious bottle that most of us would not get to try under normal circumstances.

Exactly. Here is SAQ's Single Malt list. Check it out List some suggestions.

Riaz, how many are expected for the meet and greet?

I really like the idea of pooling our money to buy premium bottles. 20$ per person is fine with me, should give us some nice bottles ! buddies.gifparty.gifparty.gifbuddies.gif

Will there be anything to eat with the drinks, just so we're not drunk right off the bat...

Riaz, if nothing is available in the budget, I can bring a few bags of pretzels and what not, some peanuts. And bowls... Others can bring what they like. Or we could just say 25$/person and go buy an assortiment of munchies along with the booze (MMMmmmm booze drool.gifAaaarrrrghhhhh...)

I like this idea a lot. I took the day off from work to set things up at the hotel and the SAQ signature near the hotel has the best selection of single malts and cocgnacs in Montreal.

If you guys settle on a list I will pick up the bottles and set them up for the Meet & Greet

I like this idea a lot. I took the day off from work to set things up at the hotel and the SAQ signature near the hotel has the best selection of single malts and cocgnacs in Montreal.

If you guys settle on a list I will pick up the bottles and set them up for the Meet & Greet

Thanks Simon!!

So, here's some logistics.

Riaz estimates about 22 will attend the "meet & greet" at the hotel. If we budgeted for $20 - $25 per person that gives us a budget of $440 and $550 to work with. Riaz has snacks covered. (good work baccala!) :ok:

If we aim for a price point of $100+ we can get five great bottles to sample. Every 750ml bottle is good for 25, 1 ounce pours.

Now all we need are some suggestions. Also, do we want it to be all Scotch or mix it up a bit? Cognac? Rum, etc.

Is it ok to change my mind? :rolleyes: I'm still up for getting one really good bottle if that's what the group prefers, but I've thought of another idea that might be a little more exciting and appeal to more people.

We could have one person select three good single malts (I think we'll have the budget for this) and have the group do a blind tasting. Nothing formal or structured, just be sure to sample each one at your own pace and vote for your preference out of the three. We'll crown a winner and reveal what everyone thought was the best of the night :spotlight: and if there's anything left over in the bottles, we can raffle-off the remains from the batch of participants. Also, any monies we collect above the bottles' cost can be donated to the Nicaragua Fund.

I already bought that magnum bottle of Anchor Steam Xmas beer - I am bringing it no matter what (there is no WAY in hell I can drink 1.5l of beer by myself). Regarding buying locally, Canada has insane liquor prices - we get the stuff for half the price in US so I am not really in favor of that idea... I will, however, follow the majority and 20 dollars isn't going to break me ;)

I like Frank's idea, but I like Conor's revision of it. I'd say go for 3 different bottles, shoot for a $400-$450 total price, and go from there.

And yes, the Cigarrignac is coming. As is Claus' beer. But, I'm also planning on bringing the HC Barrel Proof rum, or if we can get something like that within the three bottles, as I'm a rum and cognac guy for sure, but just not a scotch/whiskey guy at all.