ploom or mould

Plume doesn't occur on the foot of cigars

If you have mold on just the wrapper there is a chance you can save the cigar(s) through various methods, but if you have mold at the foot of the cigar you can't be sure how far into the cigar the mold has developed without taking them apart. I wouldn't risk smoking them if I found mold on the foot, even after using one of the many mold abatement methods.

-Karl

scary when the pic loaded, mould.

I saw a whole walk in humidor with fuzzy mould on almost all cigars, even my wife said look at all that mould lets get out of here. Need to say i don't shop there now.

thanks for the quick response guys they are vintage so these things happen. I did take one apart and inspect it seems to only be on the foot no further inside so ill just cut the some of the foot off before smoking.

cheers!

Yep retailers and vedors alike... the dishonest ones will try to sell you anything. I recently went a very large walk in humidor in my area and there was mold on nearly a third of the boxes... a lot of mold. The lady at the counter used the same "oh it's plume, some people like it that way...."

It's not always as easy as plume or mold with cigars that have travelled from one country to another. If you are at a B&M then you can bet it is one or the other and it's down to conditions. But when receiving cigars (Especially oily ones) from a country which has a different climate to yours can cause efflorescence which you can just brush off. Think of a lovely oily stick leaving somewhere with massive humidity and Summer heat, jumping into a plane which goes up in high altitude then arrives in a place in Winter with hardly any humidity then goes into a sweltering post office for a few days next to a radiator etc..

I can't tell from the pics as they are not close up enough but I'd take El Prez's word.

Efflorescence from my experience is stringy, almost like candy floss/cotton candy and can pretty much appear anywhere on the cigar and has no effect on the actual cigar.

This is definitely mold...as mentioned, plume does not form on the foot of a cigar. Also once mold touches the foot of a cigar, I wouldn't be smoking it. On the wrapper you can wipe it off in most cases, but the foot...no way.

There is a chance that it formed on the way here since customs took over a month to process the order (at a busy time of year and the longest I have ever had to wait) i could tell by tracking the order to find out where it was. If that's the case the conditions must of been pretty extreme.

It's not always as easy as plume or mold with cigars that have travelled from one country to another. If you are at a B&M then you can bet it is one or the other and it's down to conditions. But when receiving cigars (Especially oily ones) from a country which has a different climate to yours can cause efflorescence which you can just brush off. Think of a lovely oily stick leaving somewhere with massive humidity and Summer heat, jumping into a plane which goes up in high altitude then arrives in a place in Winter with hardly any humidity then goes into a sweltering post office for a few days next to a radiator etc..

I can't tell from the pics as they are not close up enough but I'd take El Prez's word.

Efflorescence from my experience is stringy, almost like candy floss/cotton candy and can pretty much appear anywhere on the cigar and has no effect on the actual cigar.

It is mold as others have said and for what its worth some of the best cigars Ive tried had a bit on thats easily wiped off. I wouldnt worry too much about it... as long as its not the green variety that smears instead of wiping off easily.