ploom or mould

If you hold a magnifying glass to the affected area, most times you'll be able to see steams and spores. I've also noticed how its more likely to grow on the head of most cigars and think its contributed by the fact that the rollers handle that area the most; in particular topedos. I do recall reading something by Habanos that white powdery mould is a "good sign that the tobacco is live and fresh, and should simply be wiped off before smoking".

Above all its mould because I do not believe in plume :lookaround:

It's definitely mold. I also had a recent experience with a vendor whose "customer service" staff insisted that the cigars only had bloom or plume on them. They even quoted from a book that mold was always green... nonsense.

Here's the thread FYI

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107236&st=0&p=247257&hl=culebras&fromsearch=1entry247257

The problem is that some vendors don't inspect cigars before shipping. If they did they could catch this kind of thing.

They say that they inspect the cigars before shipping, only to checked the wrappers and not the feet. after showing them the pictures they agree it's mould! all sorted!

It's definitely mold. I also had a recent experience with a vendor whose "customer service" staff insisted that the cigars only had bloom or plume on them. They even quoted from a book that mold was always green... nonsense.

Here's the thread FYI

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107236&st=0&p=247257&hl=culebras&fromsearch=1entry247257

The problem is that some vendors don't inspect cigars before shipping. If they did they could catch this kind of thing.

They say that they inspect the cigars before shipping, only to checked the wrappers and not the feet. after showing them the pictures they agree it's mould! all sorted!

Seems like you got the right result in the end. Always useful to see these examples, hope it's not something I have to come across too often.

Its a first for me. the vendor was apologetic, it's good to see!

Seems like you got the right result in the end. Always useful to see these examples, hope it's not something I have to come across too often.

Good advice here on sending them back. Many vendors will say they check them, usually means they just open the box. But mold like that can happen in a short period if in transit moving from cold to very warm climate. Although it would most likely end up on the surface of the wrapper... easy enough to brush off in my experience. When the mold gets in the foot of the cigar, it's done for. You just don't know how deep the mold spores is into the cigar. Trust me, I've been there done that lol I got this surprise opening a box of ERDM CS.

post-6952-0-76219100-1327352527.jpeg

post-6952-0-72530200-1327352547.jpeg

post-6952-0-39302100-1327352562.jpeg

sad to see it happened to you too. did you unravel a stick and see how far in it spread or just binned them?

Good advice here on sending them back. Many vendors will say they check them, usually means they just open the box. But mold like that can happen in a short period if in transit moving from cold to very warm climate. Although it would most likely end up on the surface of the wrapper... easy enough to brush off in my experience. When the mold gets in the foot of the cigar, it's done for. You just don't know how deep the mold spores is into the cigar. Trust me, I've been there done that lol I got this surprise opening a box of ERDM CS.

post-6952-0-76219100-1327352527.jpeg

post-6952-0-72530200-1327352547.jpeg

post-6952-0-39302100-1327352562.jpeg

sad to see it happened to you too. did you unravel a stick and see how far in it spread or just binned them?

KRS, I didn't open them up to see what it looked like inside. I sent those pictures to the vendor and his instructions were to send them back in whole for a refund / replacement. Individual mold spores are smaller than a grain of pollen, so it would not be an easy to see. Just the thought of them "inside" the cigar prompted the immediate return. I have found mold on the wrappers of cigars which I can brush off and follow up with a vacuum of the area and feel pretty confident I'm not going to die lol.

Although it is rare, it happens and I'm sure we're not the only ones to receive moldy cigars. It's a good experience because now you know what to look for and how to handle it should it happen again... and sure hope it doesn't. Or help someone else who doesn't know what to do :peace::cigar:

I'm glad I didn't have to send them back, the picture was enough to convince them. but its good to see you got your refund as well. they need to do a thorough search and not just checking the wrapper, that's the while point of opening the box before shipping.

KRS, I didn't open them up to see what it looked like inside. I sent those pictures to the vendor and his instructions were to send them back in whole for a refund / replacement. Individual mold spores are smaller than a grain of pollen, so it would not be an easy to see. Just the thought of them "inside" the cigar prompted the immediate return. I have found mold on the wrappers of cigars which I can brush off and follow up with a vacuum of the area and feel pretty confident I'm not going to die lol.

Although it is rare, it happens and I'm sure we're not the only ones to receive moldy cigars. It's a good experience because now you know what to look for and how to handle it should it happen again... and sure hope it doesn't. Or help someone else who doesn't know what to do :peace::cigar: