Charcoal or Gas

fishinguitarman

Gas or Charcoal?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^

charcoal all the time gives me time to smoke a Churchill slow indirect gives you an hour or two

Not charcoal, just chunks of hard wood, usually pecan, post oak or mesquite. Directly on the red hot glowing part. Ash doesn't stick because the temp is so hot. 4-5 minutes a side depending on thickne

Tough call. I love to grill. And it's never a clear cut choice. They both serve a purpose in the grilling world. Sometimes the wood or charcoal will overpower the meat, fish or whatever it is you're cooking. Tougher to control temp with coals too. But, I do love the flavor when used appropriately. I mainly use gas since its cleaner, easier to control the temp, and can always add those chips to enhance flavors. Would love to hear thoughts from brazoseagle, the FOH king of the grill! Lol

Gas (infrared) ALWAYS for high quality steaks.

Natural Wood chunks (not cheap briquettes) for pretty much everything else on the grill.

Mesquite and Pecan with charcoal for long grill times or roasting.

I could explain why gas is best for steaks, but it would take forever, so just trust me or read my topic for Dry Age Cheating Steaks.

Tough call. I love to grill. And it's never a clear cut choice. They both serve a purpose in the grilling world. Sometimes the wood or charcoal will overpower the meat, fish or whatever it is you're cooking. Tougher to control temp with coals too. But, I do love the flavor when used appropriately. I mainly use gas since its cleaner, easier to control the temp, and can always add those chips to enhance flavors. Would love to hear thoughts from brazoseagle, the FOH king of the grill! Lol

You are too Kind!!! But the truth you do speak!

I gave my 2 cents, and guided people to the Dry Age Cheat Thread for a detailed explaination.

I've been experimenting lately with "flavored" or "Seasond" Steam at the same time as cooking over fire....I will let you know after I figure out just exactly what I'm doing with it.

Charcoal under normal grilling circumstances, but gas if I'm pressed for time.

First off, you have too much " GAS" as it is anyway, and trust me, nobody want's to cook with your gas!

High quality charcoal is king. I find extruded coconut charcoal with wood chunks in my kamado for low and slow, as well as for high temp pizzas, etc. Prefer it for steaks too, evenly burned down. Takes a bit more doing than gas for even, precise temp control but well worth it IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...