Charcoal or Gas

fishinguitarman

Gas or Charcoal?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interested to read the views of all you grill-miesters.

I've just switched from using lumpwood charcoal in a simple kettle barbeque (for many years) to a good quality gas barbeque.

I prefer the gas by a long chalk. I agree that done well, good charcoal contributes to the flavour but it's a fine line between flavour and adding something from the Carbon food group to your diet.

Although I miss the charcoal flavour, overall my food is much better on gas. And now samonella free!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^

charcoal all the time gives me time to smoke a Churchill slow indirect gives you an hour or two

Not charcoal, just chunks of hard wood, usually pecan, post oak or mesquite. Directly on the red hot glowing part. Ash doesn't stick because the temp is so hot. 4-5 minutes a side depending on thickne

Haven't had an outdoor gas grill for 15+ years now. Was a Weber man but now it's BGE all the way.

Get that sucker over 1000 degrees and you don't get much smoke.....

Haven't had an outdoor gas grill for 15+ years now. Was a Weber man but now it's BGE all the way.

Get that sucker over 1000 degrees and you don't get much smoke.....

Which is great for getting a good sear on steaks!

• 3 weeks later...

Prefer charcoal do to its diversity. Can smoke, indirect, direct ect. Yeah I know you can do the same with gas but its not the same.

I have three bbq's. A Louisiana Grill wood pellet smoker that I can hold steady from 150 for a hot smoke to 600 for grilling. I also have a Napoleon Mirage 605 Charcoal grill and a Broil King Gas one. I use the Gas only when time is limited and in bad weather, If I had to pick only one I would go with the wood pellet bbq with the charcoal one coming in a close second.

Well here we go. Wired has come out with the following article:

"Grilling Over Charcoal Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Gas"

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/charcoal-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-gas/

To crux of their argument: "Translation: Cooking over charcoal makes your food taste like bacon. Let me repeat that: blah blah charcoal blah blah BACON." Hmm... really hard to refute that one, eh? smile.png

But Wired does give equal time to the other propane-centric argument, too:

"Grilling Over Gas Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Charcoal"

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

The primary argument they make in favor of gas is that it takes longer to cook with charcoal. Hmm... not that I disagree with that, but that's not the same thing as proving gas is better. I would call that a swing and a miss.

So, there you have it - irrefutable and absolute proof that charcoal is superior to gas. End of story. And boom goes the dynamite. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

I think the bacon thing was supposed to be facetious, much like the entirety of both articles from the same source. It's like the ol' Remington 870 vs. Mossberg 500 debate. Totally subjective and there will never be a clear winner. Because of the subjectivity. And bacon.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Well here we go. Wired has come out with the following article:

"Grilling Over Charcoal Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Gas"

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/charcoal-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-gas/

To crux of their argument: "Translation: Cooking over charcoal makes your food taste like bacon. Let me repeat that: blah blah charcoal blah blah BACON." Hmm... really hard to refute that one, eh? smile.png

But Wired does give equal time to the other propane-centric argument, too:

"Grilling Over Gas Is Objectively, Scientifically Better Than Grilling Over Charcoal"

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

The primary argument they make in favor of gas is that it takes longer to cook with charcoal. Hmm... not that I disagree with that, but that's not the same thing as proving gas is better. I would call that a swing and a miss.

So, there you have it - irrefutable and absolute proof that charcoal is superior to gas. End of story. And boom goes the dynamite. smile.png

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Always trust Wired when it comes to barbecue - quite the authority on singed meats

Always trust Wired when it comes to barbecue - quite the authority on singed meats

:D:lol:

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had the opportunity to use an infared gas grill (for a good sear ive always liked mesquite as it burns very hot) but in my many years of both professional and back yard grillin the only benefit of using gas over hard wood charcoal is it's more convenient.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Elektrobot

I have a charcoal Webber that has a propane lighting system to get the coals and wood burning. It just uses a small camping size propane canister, and just takes a few minutes to get things fired up.

I use a mix of lump charcoal and chunks of wood. Apple wood is my favorite right now.

It also has a cutout in the grill rack that will accept a cast iron wok and griddle plate.

I love it

I used to use a charcoal chimney and kindling to light my coal, but that took a long time and caused a lot of smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used gas in the past, but switched to charcoal decades ago and haven't looked back. I'm certain that the improvements in gas grills over the years has improved the consistency of the grills, but "if it ain't broke, why fix it".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to only charcoal: mesquite, or oak lump, almost never coal based briquets. But once when the power went out I did "grille" chocolate chip cookies on the BBQ using a diffuser and carefully managed briquets. It actually wasn't that hard (it's just another heat source after all) and the cookies turned out great and the friends still talk about it like it was magic! spotlight.gif

Anyway, after the charcoal grille rusted through I went with an infrared gas unit in the backyard for convenience (I now have kids to manage!) and it's been great, but the Thanksgiving turkey is not the same as when it was carefully grilled over mesquite. And I do miss the life-threatening step of lifting the burning hot bird and grille while restoking the mesquite underneath! lookaround.gif

• 1 month later...

Honestly, use both and all times of year. I've been out smoking meat in the middle of a snowstorm.

To those that say "if you use gas you might as stay in the kitchen", that's not completely true...but I do hear you. After you've cooked with a grill for quite some time it really does become "seasoned". You get flavors from previous grills, lol....and that's a good thing. Sure, I add woodchips (after they've been soaking overnight and nice and soggy)...sometimes apple, pecan, cherry. This is stuff you just cant do in a kitchen broiler. So done right, an outside gas grill really can give you a nice flavorful experience and a good cooking time that is far superior to indoor broiling.

But, if I have all the time in the world......give me my cigar, my belgian ale, and my smoker all day long. I'll always use that over gas, given the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Man this is a tough one for me. If i have the time I always prefer charcoal but I gotta say its tough to decide on "short" notice to grill up a bunch of food with charcoal versus gas. That being said my charcoal smoker is amazing with some applewood for summer bbq