Whats your setup?

Cohiba Stevie

622 members have voted

1. 1. What type of humidor are you using?

2. 2. What type of humification are you using?

• Active (Please specify: Cigar Oasis, Hydra etc.)
    • Passive (Please specify: Heartfelt beads, HCM beads, Boveda, crystals etc.)
    • Basic (distilled water / PG solution with foam humidifier)
    • Other (Please specify with post)
  3. 3. Does your collection mainly consist of

• All singles, unboxed.
    • Mostly singles unboxed, with 1 or 2 boxes
    • Boxes only
    • Mostly boxes, with a few singles in dedicated compartment.

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok so here's the scoop, I've recently placed an order with Bob Staebell at aristocrat humidors for a small cabinet humidor, it should be ready in a few months and I am literally counting down the days.

I have decided that I don't want to use Bobs active humidification system as I have concerns that its ability to output humidity only may not be a good idea for naked singles, especially as it is quite a small cabinet.

What I have decided to do is go with a Cigar Spa from Germany, its a pricey piece of kit but its an active system that both outputs and absorbs humidity, I've contacted the manufacturer and they said it would be perfect for my size of cabinet.

Cigar Spa

So with such an ever diversifying range of both humidor and humidifier options available, I would like to gauge what seems to be the most commonly used and most efficient setup is, what I am hoping to learn is that there may be a better option for myself, but it will also prove very useful for new smokers who are planning on getting there own setup, think of it like a humidor census lol. Any pictures would also be fantastic.

So what is your setup?

Why does it work for you?

What problems do you face if any?

I thank you in advance for all input, hopefully this thread can grow in to something very useful.

Stevie

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just about full, time to decide what's next. 

Here's my Aristocrat. Two active humidifers on the bottom, three fans and temp controlled. I'd say it works great, although the humidity at to top of the unit is typically 2-3% below the bottom, whe

Think I have posted about my set-up before - here's the details : 90% of my cigars are in inside metal lockers from a German company named Zarges that are water/airtight and those metal lockers are

So what is your setup?

So what is your setup?

Main humidor is a cooler with a tupper container filled with crystal kitty litter kept in the basement

Relatively inexpensive and virtually maintenance free, maintaining a very stable climate year 'round

In the driest months of winter I might have to add a little water from time to time.

So what is your setup?

Main humidor is a cooler with a tupper container filled with crystal kitty litter kept in the basement

Relatively inexpensive and virtually maintenance free, maintaining a very stable climate year 'round

In the driest months of winter I might have to add a little water from time to time.

My setup is exactly like Colts. I have two large coolers, standing on end with shelves, in my basement. One with kitty litter and one with HF beads. Both perform to perfection, rock solid.

Same as above. Except I use a combo of Heartfelt beads and gel. I need to use the gel in the winter to help the humidors rebound faster. Just mix PG with distilled water, pour into gel tub, good to go.

I buy the gardening/landscaping moisture crystals in bulk instead of buying those pre-filled tubs. Again, just soak the crystals in PG/DW combo and you are good to go.

VERY cheap and VERY easy to maintain.

DIY Cabinet with a capacity of around 1500 (if you're not into 50+ gauge and like to do some Tetris).

Hydra LG humidifier (foam ripped out and replaced with water pearls, stopped using PG).

All cigars are boxed in either SLB or SBN.

Except for running out of space no real drawbacks although the cabinet is somewhat vulnerable to overhumidifying.

Wine fridge, the only thing I have added that I thought of myself was a box of cow brand baking soda to remove any smells from a typical fridge.

Also have 2 box humidors upstairs from before I got to the point I am at now. I tend to acquire lots of singles from trades etc.

L

Wine coolers with hf beads. 2 pounds of beads in the 32 bottle and 1 pound in the 16. 16 bottle is just for deep sleep storage.

It works because I don't have to do anything. Spray the beads every 3 months or so and forget about it. I did have to add some CPU fans for better circulation. They kick on every hour for 5 minutes.

I have a self-converted cabinet with a Hydra LG, a circulation fan, and 4 pounds of Heartfelt beads. Holds 2k cigars, mostly in boxes.

Humidity is rock-solid at 65% and my only problem is that I keep running out of space.

• Like 1

I got this humidor from my wife for Christmas. It came from a local retailer here in Florida. It is temperature controlled and has an active humidifier. There is a digital readout at the top of the unit for Humidity and temp. There are two fans at the bottom over a 2 Gallon reservoir for distilled water. I had problems with the humidity because of condensation that was building up on the back wall. I resolved illuminating the built in humidifier and using 65% Heartfelt beads instead. I filled the reservoir with the beads and also placed the beads along several of the shelves. I also added a few oust fans on the shelves. I am using more than 10 lbs of beads, but it is working like a champ. Humidity sits at 67% most of the time and I have yet to recharge the beads. It seems that the beads are absorbing the condensation. Very happy with the set up and it cost me less than half the price of the higher end temp controlled humidors. Also, I get a ton off ooohhs and aahhhs from friends and family when they see it. I also have a desk top humidor that holds a supply of every day smokes and a furniture humidor that can hold additional boxes if needed.

Let me say that while the beads were overkill, I am amazed at how fast the unit is back to perfect temperature and humidity when I close the door.

post-10028-0-51513600-1327711744.jpg

post-10028-0-90616400-1327711755.jpg

• Like 3

See the link below. 2 1/2 years later my setup still rocks. I now have 8 lbs of heartfelt beads of which 6 lbs are 65% and 2 lbs are 60%. I set it to 65 degrees and refill the beads about 5x a year and thats it. Other than a walk in humidor, if you need temp control this unit is the best bang for your buck anywhere.

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98634&st=0&p=131051&hl=my%20new%20setup&fromsearch=1entry131051

3 50 ct desktop humi's with 65 beads

1 large cooler with 65 beads, 2 lbs.

2 wine fridges, 65 beads, 2 lbs + per fridge

1 aristocrat with active set n forget

FOH online humi

I give up on the wine cooler temp control. Struggled with keeping the humi at 65 when the chiller is active.

The cooler is the most economical and just simple. The aristocrat is my favorite...just beautiful.

FOH online locker - priceless.

1 - 25 count humidor w/65rh Boveda Packs1 - 50 count humidor w/65rh Boveda Packs

1 - 150 count humidor w/65rh Boveda Packs

1 - 200 count humidor w/65rh Boveda Packs

1 - 50 quart cooler w/65rh Beads

1 - 150 quart cooler w/65rh Beads

1 - Online Humidor @ Czar's

I coolidor holding about 8 boxes and humipacks.

1 50 count humidor holding NC's

1 Acrylic jar holding about 20 NC's

1 Acrylic jar holding 23 HU Mag 50's.

A 12 bottle wine fridge with 5 Tupperware containers, each locally humidified.

A large footlocker style humidor with about 7 boxes and two large trays of singles.

What's my setup? Oh dear gawd....

1 x desktop humidor, 150 stick, filled half-way with NC's (mostly Padron Serie 1926 and 1964, some various singles from gifts). Digital hygrometer (one of those cigar-shaped/-sized ones), and humidified with a rectangular 250-size Madelaine crystal humidifier. In the following picture, on the small table to the right of the photo:

post-6965-0-35177400-1327964526.jpg

1 x medium cabinet humidor. Custom made, about 5 or 6 cubic feet of space inside or so. Estimated to hold about 25-30 boxes, and about 150-200 singles sticks in the upper tray. Has calibratable rectangular Xikar hygrometers in the upper drawer, and also one mid-way on the shelf in the main area. Active humidification with a Cigar Oasis XL Plus, set to 65.5% (gets filled once every two months or so in the winter, and then only once or twice during the spring/summer/fall; unit now placed on very bottom level. Also, passive humidification and balancing out with two 8oz(1/2lb) mesh bags of 65% RH Beads; one in the upper drawer, one on the middle shelf. (Stock has changed a TON since these photos were taken):

post-6965-0-11034000-1327964878.jpg

post-6965-0-54269100-1327964913.jpg

post-6965-0-58148500-1327964999.jpg

post-6965-0-74893100-1327965039.jpg

2 x "cooler-dors". Both in large white Coleman Xtreme Marine 100-quart coolers. Each holds approx. 20-25 boxes. Each one with a calibratable rectangular Xikar hygrometer. Passive humidification and balancing out with three 8oz(1/2lb) mesh bags of 65% RH Beads (double the amount needed for that space). Also, each cooler-dor has an Oust fan running in them, for air movement and balancing. And, just recently ordered some 31"x13"x5/8" finished spanish-cedar to put on the inside bottom of each coolerdor, to help with non-contact of boxes to "cold" surface (these coolerdors are in my basement crawlspace yearround, and they stay at 59 F to 64 F throughout the year). One coolerdor with "long term aging" boxes of general stuff that I already have a box on the go in my cabinet, and then the other coolerdor with "special RE/LE stuff" in. Need to get a third cooler soon. :rolleyes:

Lastly, online locker with Czar's with some group buy stuff with a few guys here. I think we've got about a dozen nice boxes of stuff tucked away.

Wife hasn't yet noticed the 2nd cooler, nor does she know about the online locker stuff.... :lookaround:

Jesus canuck! And i thought i will be happy with my small cabinet! Lol looks like the cabinet you built is holding up beautifully, i remember you posting pics when you finished it and it is indeed impressive.

It looks like my best bet will be a hybrid of passive and active like your setup. Im worried about the space though...

Nice job mate

Can i ask how your aristocrat holds up in the colder months mbrody?

Stevie, the aristocrat holds up fine in my basement during the winter months. I just need to check the humidifier each month to make sure it still has water. The ambient air is drier, so it drinks a little more. Probably top it off every other month. I keep it around 63-64%.

Here's my Aristocrat. Two active humidifers on the bottom, three fans and temp controlled. I'd say it works great, although the humidity at to top of the unit is typically 2-3% below the bottom, where the active humidifers are located. I don't think this is a problem with the system as much as it is the fact that the thing is packed full of boxes (and it's actually quite a bit fuller now than in the pic below) and the streams of humid air have a difficult time making it up to the top shelf.

Also, while the internal fans are virtually silent, the humidifers are not and they run quite often. So much so that I wish there was a quieter option. If I were to do this over, in addition to making the unit 2x the size, I would probably ask Bob to find a quieter option for the humidifers even if that option took up more space.

That is one handsome looking humidor. Very nice! :ok:

• Like 2

-Dedicated, hand built "walk-in" humidor in corner of basement, approx 100ft^3.

-MANY pounds of kitty litter and a few lbs. of Heatfelt beads, with a cigar oasis XL II on order for humidification

-Almost all boxes, building a "cubby hole" system to house singles.