Whats your setup?

Cohiba Stevie

622 members have voted

1. 1. What type of humidor are you using?

2. 2. What type of humification are you using?

• Active (Please specify: Cigar Oasis, Hydra etc.)
    • Passive (Please specify: Heartfelt beads, HCM beads, Boveda, crystals etc.)
    • Basic (distilled water / PG solution with foam humidifier)
    • Other (Please specify with post)
  3. 3. Does your collection mainly consist of

• All singles, unboxed.
    • Mostly singles unboxed, with 1 or 2 boxes
    • Boxes only
    • Mostly boxes, with a few singles in dedicated compartment.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just about full, time to decide what's next. 

Here's my Aristocrat. Two active humidifers on the bottom, three fans and temp controlled. I'd say it works great, although the humidity at to top of the unit is typically 2-3% below the bottom, whe

Think I have posted about my set-up before - here's the details : 90% of my cigars are in inside metal lockers from a German company named Zarges that are water/airtight and those metal lockers are

Think I have posted about my set-up before -

here's the details :

90% of my cigars are in inside metal lockers from a German company named Zarges that are water/airtight and those metal lockers are in the cellar.

http://www.zarges.com/en/

The cellar has a very constant year-round temperature - never below 14-15 C or above 17 C.

The boxes are wrapped in plastic or zip-lock bags.

I do not use any humidification at all. The natural humidity inside the box is maintained. Should humidity be required ( rarely ) I put a moist sponge inside for while.

Average humidity inside the lockers is ca. 65% and temp is 17 C.

Been storing like this for years now. Never had any issues. I Like the KISS - Keep It Simple - principle.

I have a large humidor in my office where i place singles and boxes for the next few weeks/months and there I usually place a small humidifying device, nothing else.

Nino

I just want 5 unsupervised minutes in that cellar ;):innocent:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some great setups there people. Nino all I can say is WOW! You have some great cigars there and the kiss method is all you could ask for.

Sharks

• 1 month later...

This was a very interesting post and really enjoyed reading on the topic. It is nice to jaw drop and stare at the awesome setups that many of yo have. My setup is currently a 100, 150, 50 size desktop humidor. I am currently in the process of finishing my end table humidor and after reading this article I think I will add some beads to balance out the humidity since I currently have the hydra sm and don't want it to over humidify.

CK

• Like 1

I've been using the same "sophisticated" setup for the last 12 years. I refuse to spend any money until I purchase a temp controlled unit. I might have to break down and convert a 100-bottle wine fridge one of these days.

230e66f7.jpg0645783f.jpgea664a71.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally have enough stock to post pic of my wine fridge.

I'm using 4lb of heartfelt 65% beads and a hydra that has had foam replaced with beads.

Only been in this great hobby for 1 1/2 years so it takes time to build stock, think I'm getting there slowly.

Cheers

Allan

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w481/Croz1971/62219008.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Think I have posted about my set-up before -

here's the details :

90% of my cigars are in inside metal lockers from a German company named Zarges that are water/airtight and those metal lockers are in the cellar.

http://www.zarges.com/en/

The cellar has a very constant year-round temperature - never below 14-15 C or above 17 C.

The boxes are wrapped in plastic or zip-lock bags.

I do not use any humidification at all. The natural humidity inside the box is maintained. Should humidity be required ( rarely ) I put a moist sponge inside for while.

Average humidity inside the lockers is ca. 65% and temp is 17 C.

Been storing like this for years now. Never had any issues. I Like the KISS - Keep It Simple - principle.

I have a large humidor in my office where i place singles and boxes for the next few weeks/months and there I usually place a small humidifying device, nothing else.

Nino

Your method sounds great. I wonder why more don't store cigars this way. I am thinking of moving some of my stock to this sort storage method in my basement. I assume the ambient humidity is not important as these containers are airtight.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a 100qt igloo cooler which is fantastic. Lined it with spanish cedar. Got a pound of heartfelt 65% beads in there. I decided to buy a Hydra XL and place it in the cooler which was a BIG mistake. Humidity rose above 75%. Beads by themself are amazing.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been using an Aristocrat M for many years and a gorgeous Siglo desk top won in a raffle from FOH quite a few years back. Mine is in the basement. Aristo is set at 63/65rh. I have to use the active humidification in the winter months . Sometimes in the summer I need Damp Rid to drop the humidity .

IMG_4152_zps308d3ae4.jpg

IMG_4150_zps15632a60.jpg

WOW WOW WOW, Some of you guys are off the planet. Fantastic collections of cigars.

I have a tupperdor with 2 boxes in and a small desktop with a few singles in.

Roll on when i have stock to your levels.

I'd better start saving a bit more!!

eny5ynub.jpg

I relined this with Spanish cedar veneer, new shelves, wired in the fans , timer and light. Very pleased with it

And my 7 drawer

jy6u4ume.jpg

I also have a hospital tupperdor trying to resurrect some boxes I bought with the large humi

On the lookout for a larger cabinet to convert

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a 72 bottle wine cooler with 3 pounds of 70% beads and 2 PC fans at the bottom to circulate the air.

I've found that 3 pounds worth of beads isn't enough (best RH I can manage is 62%) so I've got another 2 pounds on the way

Hopefully that sorts it out

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd share my humi setup, that after years of using different storage ideas, finally settled into near perfection for me.

When I started 'collecting' (i.e. - having too many cigars to fit into my desktop box) initally a large cooler was used to hold my boxes, stored in the cool, humid basement. This worked fine but was ugly, and getting to boxes from the top down was a pain. I then started using a small refrigerator, a larger 'dorm room' size, with just beads in it, and this worked great for many years. But having a mini fridge in my office was just not part of good decor to the misses, so I searched for something nice to look at.

I found it and more in an antique, copper sterilizing cabinet from a university that was modernizing their lab building. It not only looks awesome but works perfectly, holding just enough boxes to not let me think am taking this cigar collecting thing into the 'cat lady' phase.

The humidor weighs about 150 pounds with all the metal structure being copper and a ceramic insulation inside, hidden behind an interior of copper sheet walls. On the top are 3 vents that go into the humi chamber and let me control the humidity should excess show up from the small container of beads I use for moisture.

Screened copper shelves keep a good flow inside and take up only 5mm of vertical space. It is deep enough to store 2 boxes deep and can hold 24 SLB's.

It has been in use now for a year and I love it, I am inside enough (almost daily) to see on the battery powered gauge how the temp and humidity is doing and maintenance has been almost nil except for adding a little water every 2 weeks.

Thought I'd share, I'm rather proud of how well it looks and works.

post-4863-0-95697200-1354722801_thumb.jp

post-4863-0-24446500-1354722810_thumb.jp

post-4863-0-23427900-1354722828_thumb.jp

post-4863-0-05273900-1354722836_thumb.jp

post-4863-0-99216000-1354722845_thumb.jp

• Like 3