Montecristo "D" EL 2005

Lotusguy

Paired with Diet Pepsi

Smoking time: ~1.5 (was taking my time)

Pre-light inspection: Very dark, oily wrapper (looks just like those awesome wrappers on PSP boxes) Fantastic construction with hardly any visible veins, lumps, and no spots whatsoever

Slightly firm draw, barnyard aroma at cold

Opens peppery and leathery. Much more earthy than what is typical for a Montecristo. Reminds me of the last Monte GE that I had. Pepper dissipates after half an inch.

1st Third: At first, heavy dark/bitter chocolate taste like very high-cocoa content premium chocolate (not the sweet Hershey’s crap) mixed with leather. If I didn’t know better, I’d think I am smoking a Partagas P2. Unfortunately, Partagas P2 are far from my favorite smokes :( . As the third progresses, some of the Montecristo creaminess creeps in. No noticeable “twang”. Flavor stays on the tongue for an unusually long time after every puff. The retrohale is all cocoa. Leather gets pushed into the background (thank god). Draw stays firm but not overly so. Perfect burn line.

2nd Third: Smoother and creamier but still not like a typical (good) Monte 3,4 or 2. Still very heavy on the cocoa and dark chocolate. Less heavy on the leather. Not much change otherwise… almost forgot to update this while I am smoking away and reading FOH. Burn needs a touchup roughly at midpoint. At about the same time, some honey sweetness starts to show up which makes the cigar very enjoyable. Finally some real evolution! The honey sticks around – YES! Who put that PLPC into this cigar? ;) I didn’t take notes when I smoked my last Monte GE but as I think about it more, this stick does taste pretty similar (minus the less-than-favorite ring gauge of the GE). That’s not a bad thing.

Last Third: Cocoa, Chocolate, and honey. Leather comes back towards the end but doesn’t get harsh. No further touchups required. Ash doesn’t hold super-long but it’s a bit windy.

Verdict: Very enjoyable but not so super-special that I have to go out of my way to track down another box. This cigar has a lot of legs left so I am looking forward to revisit this box in another year or so. 91 Points.

post-7384-0-06670700-1328309901.jpg

post-7384-0-52407600-1328309912.jpg