FORMULA 1 - 2012

Looking forward to the season. Hoping for a return to dominance for the prancing horse! Forza Scuderia Ferrari! On a related note, I am quite intrigued by the kink Ferrari has introduced to the nose cone for the coming season. Will work as a virtual wing creating downforce right where the front wheels are. Should work wonders in the turns however could impact ultimate speed in the straights. I am sure the aerodynamicists have it figured out, but always like to see some innovative thinking!

Enjoy the season!

In regards to the Ferrari nose cone, if it works, I am sure the other teams such as McLaren will no doubt copy!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heikki hoping for KERS boost:

Heikki-Kovalainen_2714724.jpg

Heikki Kovalainen is optimistic that Caterham will be able to challenge for midfield positions now that they have KERS on board.

Caterham, who are still waiting to score their first points in F1 following their debut in 2010, came on leaps and bounds last year and are upbeat that they can break into the top 10 this campaign.

After two productive testing days in Jerez, Kovalainen expressed high hopes ahead of the new season as he feels KERS could help them to break into the top 10.

"It will be very valuable," said the 30-year-old Finn.

"It's probably worth three or four tenths (of a second) on average per lap at every circuit, some maybe a bit more, some a bit less.

"But where it really counts is in the racing situations, at the starts, defending, overtaking. That's where it will be really crucial.

"Last year we were not in a position to fight for points. Whenever I got close to, say a Renault or Williams, I couldn't attack them into the overtaking area because I had no boost.

"It will definitely make a difference if I find myself in the same situation, fighting with the cars ahead of us. I will definitely be able to overtake.

"Whether we score points or not, I can't tell you yet. I hope it's for the points. That has to be the target.

"But the most important thing is to be battling with the other middle to back teams, if you like, in that group and not being a step behind."

The team experienced some teething problems during their first two seasons, but Kovalainen feels they are much better prepared this time around.

"Last year we were missing some suspension parts, we had some power steering issues, but now we have a complete car here," he said.

"We still need more grip and a more stable rear end, which we have been able to achieve at high speed. I'm able to attack more than in last year's car.

"It will now be interesting to see exactly where the pace of the car is and whether it is quick enough or not."

Jerez: Alonso sets the pace:

138565840_2716491.jpg

Fernando Alonso silenced growing concerns about Ferrari's F2012 by finishing the four-day Jerez with the fastest time on the final day.

Following the conclusion of Thursday's play at the Spanish circuit, Ferrari's technical director Pat Fry admitted to the world that he was "not happy" with how Ferrari's pre-season was progressing.

According to Fry, while the reliability of the new car is "good" the pace is only "okay" leaving Ferrari with a lot of work to do before the season gets underway in Australia next month.

However, Fry's concerns - at least on the surface - came to naught when Alonso broke the 1:20.000 barrier in the first hour of Friday's running.

The Spaniard went even faster, posting a 1:18.877 during the morning session before heading into the pits prior to lunch with 24 laps under his belt.

For an as yet undisclosed reason, Alonso did just 15 laps in the afternoon - several of which were for practice starts - while his rivals put in the miles. None, though, were able to get close to his P1 time.

Toro Rosso rookie Jean-Eric Vergne came the closest, finishing 0.702s off the pace. However, his time was also set during the morning session.

The fastest man in the afternoon proved to be reigning World Champion Sebastian Vettel.

The German completed just two laps in the morning as "an electrical issue" with his RB8 took several hours to resolve.

As such, he only ventured out mid-way through the afternoon but that did not stop the Red Bull racer from quickly working his way up the timesheets.

Vettel steadily improved from ninth to eighth to fifth and then third, finishing Friday's running with a 1:19.606, which was 0.729s off the pace.

Lewis Hamilton, who had a trouble-free day with almost 90 laps to his name, was fourth quickest, a further 0.034s slower than Vettel while Romain Grosjean was fifth in his Lotus E20.

Kamui Kobayashi brought his car home in sixth place, just under a second behind Alonso's P1 time. However, his day was not without problems as the Sauber driver was responsible for one of four red flags when his C31 came to a halt due to a hydraulic problem.

A solid day for Force India's Nico Hulkenberg, who lost valuable track-time on Thursday after Jules Bianchi crashed his car, finished with the German eighth quickest with 90 laps.

Meanwhile, Bruno Senna, who was the busiest driver on the final day, put in some consistent runs as he covered a marathon 125 laps. The Williams's racer, though, brought out the red flags on two occasions.

The first was in the morning when, after 97 laps, he stopped out on track while the second, late in the afternoon, came at Turn Two. The day's first red flag stoppage was in order to allow a marshal to clear a piece of debris off the track.

Jarno Trulli completed the timesheets for Caterham with 117 laps and 3.321s off the pace.

McLaren and Ferrari exhausts given all clear:

ferrari-exhaust-f2012.jpg

The FIA's technical delegate Charlie Whiting has given McLaren and Ferrari's exhausts the all clear, after some teams raised concerns that they pushed the regulations a little too far.

With the ban on blown-diffusers coming into effect for 2012, the new cars must have exhausts which exit at the top of the chassis. In an attempt to gain the lost downforce from the blown-diffuser, McLaren and Ferrari in particular, have fitted aggressive systems to their cars which clearly show the exhausts exiting downwards, rather than up as is the case with most, allowing them to blow specific areas of the car.

Whiting, who advises teams on the legality of their designs, flew out to Jerez on Thursday to inspect the cars, but ultimately found them to abide by the regulations, according to SkySports Ted Kravitz.

"I understand from sources in the pitlane that FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting has told the teams that he considers Ferrari and McLaren exhaust designs as legal.

"Even though the way those two teams have packaged their exhaust outlets, with channels leading exhaust gases out to specific areas of the car and therefore appearing to have a beneficial aero effect, which is against new exhaust regulations, it seems Whiting believes that they comply sufficiently with both the letter and the intention of the law."

Other teams will now likely follow suit and package their exhausts differently in order to gain a performance advantage, with the final test in Barcelona the most likely location for their debuts.

Mercedes tests front-wing F-duct in Jerez:

Source: TheF1 Times

mercedes-fduct-01-2012-1.jpg

It's believed Mercedes tested a component planned for their 2012 car in Jerez on Thursday, which helped propel Nico Rosberg to the top of the times.

Rumours circulated last year that Mercedes had developed a front-wing F-duct which allows air to enter the front-nose, before being channelled down the wing struts and out under the floor.

Mercedes tested the new component in Jerez in the afternoon, identified by the open nose (see photo below), compared to that of the closed nose in the morning, allowing the outfit to make a direct comparison.

Martin Whitmarsh first speculated that a passive F-duct could provide as much as 5-7kph extra straight-line speed, as well as creating further downforce.

Whilst the original F-duct was banned at the end of 2010, the regulations only govern the rear-wing, leaving teams to experiment with the front-wing - which isn't quite as advantegeous.

Perez: A positive start:

Sergio-Perez_2716013.jpg

Sergio Perez was happy with his first two days behind the wheel of the new C31, confident Sauber are heading in the right direction.

The Mexican driver, who is entering his second season in F1, completed his two days of testing at Jerez on Thursday where he was P6 on the timesheets.

Perez's 1:19.770 put him 2.157s behind pace-setter Nico Rosberg but only 1.351s adrift of Romain Grosjean, who was fastest of those in the new cars.

But while his pace was encouraging, Perez only managed 48 laps due to an oil transmission issue.

"So far it has been a positive two days," he told Autosport.

"Of course we had problems and we could not manage to complete our programme, but still I am quite happy with how it went.

"I think we are going in the right direction to keep improving."

And as for the debate over whether times set during testing actually mean anything in the bigger picture, Perez said: "Here in Jerez when you miss the window and you don't try the three compounds at the same time then it is difficult.

"If you try one in the morning and one in the afternoon then it can be completely different - and it changes with the temperature big time."

HRT forced to delay debut:

HRT_2716219.jpg

HRT's 2012 car will only make its debut at the third and final pre-season test as the car has failed two of its mandatory FIA crash tests.

HRT was one of two outfits scheduled to use their new car for the first time at the second test, which takes place at Barcelona later this month.

The team, though, has been forced to push back the launch after the car failed to pass all its FIA crash tests.

According to the team's Twitter page, the new car passed 14 tests but failed two by a "minor margin."

The team added that their 2012 car "should" be in action at the second Barcelona test, which kicks off on March 1st.

The first two tests, though, are not a complete waste for HRT as they have been in action at Jerez using a modified F111 fitted with the latest Pirelli compounds.

Hulkenberg: Still a massive amount to learn:

Nico-Hulkenberg_2716496.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg was relieved to get some laps in the new VJM05 under his belt on Friday but admits there is still a lot to be done in the final two tests.

Hulkenberg was scheduled to get behind the wheel of Force India's new car at Jerez on Thursday afternoon. However, plans were changed after test driver Jules Bianchi crashed earlier in the day.

And without the necessary parts to fix the car, Hulkenberg was forced to wait until Friday morning to have his first taste of the team's 2012 challenger.

On track first thing in the morning, the German completed 90 laps with a best time of 1:19.977, which was just over a second behind the day's P1 time.

"A busy first day in the car and good to get so many laps under my belt," said Hulkenberg.

"It was my first time in the new car so I concentrated on getting comfortable and up to speed. The long runs were useful for that and it also allowed me to start understanding the new tyres.

"There is still a massive amount to learn and lots of data to look at, but it feels like we have a good baseline to develop from and I'm pleased with how the day went."

Technical director Andrew Green was happy with the German's workload on Friday and declared the entire four-day test a "positive" one despite Thursday's lost track-time.

"Overall I think we can come away from Jerez feeling positive. The car has run reliably, the initial feedback from the drivers is encouraging and we've learned a lot about the set-up directions we want to explore over the coming weeks," said Green.

"I also want to highlight the tremendous effort from the team at the track this week, backed up by the staff at Silverstone, which helped ensure we got the most from our first test with the new car."

Fernandes: Exceeded my expectations:

Caterham-3_2715212.jpg

Tony Fernandes believes his team can achieve their first point this season - and it will be on merit, not another's misfortune.

Caterham have had a solid start to pre-season testing in their new CT01, which covered more than four race distances over the four days at Jerez.

In fact, the only real issue that has cost the team was a damaged starter shaft which resulted in an early shower on Day One.

"(The number of laps completed) is something we never came close to last season," Fernandes told PA Sport.

"For that reason we really have arrived as a Formula One team, and to accomplish it in two years is something I'm extremely proud of.

"The start we have made in testing has already far exceeded my expectations."

The Malaysian businessman added that he's confident that this season - his team's third in F1 - will yield their first World Championship point.

"For me, if we'd scored a point last year then it would have been a lucky one based on other people's misfortunes," he said.

"This year, and I know it's only the first test, but we can really go into a race and think, yeah, we have a chance.

"That's based on what we have seen so far because there are still another two tests to go. But you would tend to think a team like ourselves, from where we are coming from, has a chance to improve further than established teams.

"We've CFD (computational fluid dynamics) up and running, we're ramping up for a 24-7 wind tunnel, and so there is every chance."

But, having said that, he concedes that lap times set during testing often do not count for very much later in the game.

"The first test I went to Sauber looked so damn fast, and then they ended up somewhere where we were. So it's very hard to tell what people are doing, with tyres, fuel and everything else.

"You would think we should again be ahead of the other new teams (Marussia and HRT), and at the moment we seem to be giving one or two of the established teams something to think about."

Kovalainen warns Caterham about his future:

heikki+kovalainen.jpg

Heikki Kovalainen has made it clear that Caterham must produce a midfield car for the new season if he is to remain with the team after 2012.

The former McLaren race winner believes he is a better driver than he was when he joined the sport with Renault in 2007 and has warned Caterham, that his services may be required elsewhere if the CT01 isn't up to scratch.

"I've got enough experience and knowledge to appreciate what you need to have to be a success in F1," he told Autosport.

"I don't have a long-term contract [at Caterham]. I've kept my options open because we need to see how the season develops, and what happens.

"I am at a much higher level than I was in my first few seasons, and I want to be back in a front-running car competing at the front, and for points," he added.

"Like I say, I want to progress with Caterham. I've been here since the beginning and it's been great. Tony [Fernandes] has become a good friend too – but he will continue to be a friend even if I am no longer here."

Pirelli: 'New tyres performed as expected':

pirelli-tyre-smoke-lock-mclaren-button-mp427.jpg

Pirelli has hailed the first pre-season test using its new 2012 tyres a success after meeting all the targets it set itself.

Pirelli confirmed earlier this year that they were aiming to reduce the amount of marbles produced on longer runs, as well as closing the performance gap between different compounds.

Paul Hembery, the companies motorsport director, believes the new rubber has done exactly that.

"The tyres performed exactly in line with our expectations here in Jerez, and we've had a very positive reaction from the drivers and teams so far, who have reported more grip at the rear, fewer marbles and a reduced lap time difference between the compounds as well as faster overall performance – which is precisely what we wanted," confirmed Hembery.

The data confirmed a smaller performance gap between the medium and hard compound, down from about a second in 2011, to between 0.4-0.5 seconds, whilst producing increased grip - which Pirelli expect will add a new dimension to race strategies.

However, given the temperatures and the fact drivers aren't giving it their all, Pirelli aren't getting complacent with the positive results.

"We're happy with the level of degradation and we had no issues, as was the case for all of last year," he added. "But as the temperatures in Jerez were very low and the teams have also concentrated on other areas than tyres, it's too early to draw any detailed conclusions.

"We'll see more tyre development work at the next test in Barcelona, as together with the teams, we fully understand the implications of the latest rules. However, with all three of our available slick tyres having set a fastest time, it's a clear sign that we are on course to meet our objectives."

I expect to see Mercedes finally on the podium this season as well as on the top step a FEW times. We will all see a better picture at the next set of tests and I pray that Mercedes can finally get it right.

You and I both Mike!:thumbsup:

It's so frustrating to know the potential is there. Hopefully the car is a great deal better in 2012 and the likes of Schumi and Nico are up on the podium.

I'd love to see Schumacher back on a podium to add to his records, he displayed the skills of old many times last season, Canada was a great example coming P4, Monacco was another where he showed some of the youngsters (Hamilton) how to overtake on the Fairmont Hairpin leading up to the swimming pool. Classic racecraft.

Enjoy the season, thanks for posting.

Webber not bothered with rumours:

Mark-Webber_2715075.jpg

Mark Webber is refusing to let rumours of others replacing him at Red Bull put a damper on his start to the new season.

At 35 years of age and having fallen well behind team-mate Sebastian Vettel last season, questions are being asked about Webber's F1 career and whether it will continue beyond this year's Championship.

And although he has never publicly put down a timeframe for when he will retire, Australia's The Sunday Age is reporting that Webber is 'not contemplating retirement' at the end of this season.

However, that decision may be out of his hands after Red Bull's junior team Toro Rosso signed youngsters Jean-Eric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo.

The duo have both been tipped within the Red Bull camp to possible replacements for Webber when the time comes.

The Aussie, though, is not letting the various rumours get to him.

"Not at all, you know, I've been through enough on and off the track to know that nothing is forever," he told the newspaper.

"(According to the media) I was supposed to be replaced by Kimi (Raikkonen) four years ago."

As for whether Ricciardo's signing, meaning there are two Australians on this year's grid, will pave the way for others, Webber reckons it will create more interest in the sport but that doesn't mean doors will easily open.

"I think what could and will happen is that when you have Australians winning and if Daniel goes on to have a good career, which I have no doubt that he will, it stimulates more people to have a crack at it but it won't be made any easier in many ways. I still think you'll have to be trying very hard."

Kobayashi: Good start for Sauber:

dcd1210fe31_2716355.jpg

Kamui Kobayashi says Sauber are heading in the "right direction" after a productive opening test at Jerez.

The Japanese driver spent two days in his new C31 at the Spanish track, completing 106 laps on Tuesday and an additional 76 on Friday.

His running on the final day, though, was hampered by a hydraulic leak in the afternoon, which kept him out of the action for more than hour.

But despite that issue, Kobayashi believes it was a solid start to Sauber's 2012 pre-season programme.

"If I look at the whole picture I am happy with the first test," said the Japanese driver. "For sure we have found the right direction to go in.

"The car didn't surprise us with any big issues, which allowed us to work on improvements straight away."

He added: "We lost track time due to small problems and I want to thank the mechanics for all their work. They did a great job to get me out on track again.

"In the end I did 76 laps which isn't too bad. We have some ideas of what our next steps will be and I'm very much looking forward to the Barcelona tests."

Hi Mate, long time no talk. Good to see you back into the F1 thread. Been missing from the forum myself a lot over the past year, looking forward to getting back into it. Will keep checking in on the thread, hope all's well at your end. :peace:

Howdy Brendan!

Great to hear from you too mate, be sure to keep in touch and hopefully catch up someday.peace.gifbuddies.gif

Sauber: No revolutionary inventions:

Kamui-Kobayashi_2717701.jpg

Peter Sauber says it "doesn't look" as if any of the teams have found that "revolutionary invention" that puts their car in front of the chasing pack.

In recent years, the F1 teams have found innovations that have given them the edge over their rivals, starting with Brawn GP's title-winning double diffuser.

The following season it was the F-duct while last year Red Bull Racing put their blown diffuser exhaust to great use as they stormed to the Championship double.

As the double-decker diffuser and F-ducts were banned, so too has the blown diffuser exhaust as the FIA look to close all loopholes.

F1 technical departments, though, have some of the brightest minds in motorsport, although this season Sauber reckons they have failed to find that innovation.

"The big question is of course whether anyone, after the banning of the adventurous engine control (off-throttle-blowing), had found another revolutionary invention similiar to the blown diffuser," the team boss told Swiss newspaper Blick.

"So far it doesn't look like it.

"At the rear of the individual cars there are different solutions for the guiding of the exhaust gases but this is nothing unexpected."

Sauber also ruled out the suggestion that times set during last week's four-day test at Jerez are an indication of what is to come this season, saying everyone will have to wait until the very last day of running at the final test in Barcelona to get even a glimpse of the pecking order.

"Of course it is clear that our opponents do not stand on the spot. All will work until the very first race at full speed.

"Therefore the lap times are nothing more than a snapshot. We also do not know what fuel loads our rivals are using.

"Any attempt to create a ranked list based on Jerez is for me no more and no less than reading tea leaves.

"Only at the last test, when the teams try the updates for Melbourne, will the fog of uncertainty clear."

It will be interesting to see if Red Bull dominate again or whether someone else has produced "a bomb of a car" like Brawn did a few years back. I'd personally like to see McLaren do well being a Brit and being fairly local to their Woking based HQ. Can't wait for the season to start and I have a feeling it won't be Seb this year.

It will be interesting to see if Red Bull dominate again or whether someone else has produced "a bomb of a car" like Brawn did a few years back. I'd personally like to see McLaren do well being a Brit and being fairly local to their Woking based HQ. Can't wait for the season to start and I have a feeling it won't be Seb this year.

Hi Graham.

Reading up thus far on all the teams and car developments, it seems with the changes in regulations, teams are very limited to what they can do with the cars to achieve more downforce to the rear.

Mercedes are very "secret squirrel" with their 2012 car and many are speculating a fancy front wing (I hope they do well in 2012!). If one or two teams get an edge above the rest which work out for them, no doubt they can bring it to RBR and challenge for the title.

Will be an interesting season and I hope McLaren also do well as I have a soft spot for them going back to the Mika Hakinnen and DC days.:thumbsup:

'Ferrari are only 20 percent ready':

Fernando-Alonso_2717799.jpg

Fernando Alonso reckons Ferrari still have a lot of work to do before Melbourne, saying they are only "20 percent" there with their new F2012.

Ferrari's first pre-season test got off to a subdued start with the Italian stable failing to match the lap times set by Red Bull, McLaren and even Lotus.

That changed on the final day when Alonso clocked a 1:18.877 to finish Friday's running at the very top of the timesheets and second overall, his time only slower than Romain Grosjean's from Day three.

"It is still early and there is much work still to do to understand the many changes to the car compared to last season," he told Spanish daily AS.

"We are maybe at 20 percent of what we need to know but in the next test we will try to achieve the rest."

The one aspect, though, where Alonso is confident Ferrari have improved and have a great understand is with regard to the Pirelli tyres.

Last season the Italian stable struggled in qualifying as they were not able to get heat into the rubber, especially with the harder compounds.

This year Alonso believes Ferrari, who hired Bridgestone's former F1 chief Hirohide Hamashim early in January, are on the right road to resolving that issue.

"I think we've managed to make better use of the tyres right from the first lap, which we could not do a year ago," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"What definitely needs improving is the aerodynamics and the reliability.

"To do only 40 laps in eight hours is a bit little, in Barcelona we must succeed in covering at least a hundred a day."

As for predictions for the upcoming season, the Spaniard said: "Where will I be in Melbourne? No idea but then I really do not know where I am here (Jerez), what position we are in."

'Renault power needs less gas':

d11ger1293_2717884.jpg

Renault may not have the most powerful engine on the grid but, according to their F1 director, the company supplies teams with the most fuel efficient. Having sold the final batch of shares in their F1 team to Genii Capital, Renault's role in Formula One is now solely as an engine supplier.

In that role the French company has excelled in recent seasons, winning back-to-back Championship doubles with Red Bull Racing in 2010 and 2011.

And, according to Jean François Caubet, Renault's F1 director, part of the secret to that success in their engine's fuel efficiency.

"The Mercedes engine is about 15hp more power than ours, so too does Ferrari offer more power," he told AS.

"But, as far as drivability and fuel economy go the Renault engine is out in front as we need less gas."

In fact, so much so that Caubet estimates that Red Bull Racing, the defending Champs, "can start races with 15 or 18 litres less fuel in the tank than their competition - and that makes the difference."

Mateschitz: Webber will have equal status:

Mark-Webber_2708860.jpg

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz insists Mark Webber will be given equal opportunity to Sebastian Vettel to win this year's World title.

Webber led Red Bull's charge in 2010 before losing out to Vettel at the final hurdle. It was to be the first of the German's Drivers' crowns as he stormed to victory last season becoming the sport's youngest back-to-back World Champ.

In sharp contrast, Webber's challenge went off the boil with the Aussie winning just one grand prix the entire season on his way to a distant third place in the Drivers' Championship.

But just because Vettel has emerged as Red Bull's top dog, that doesn't mean Webber will be taking the role of number two this season.

"Absolutely," Mateschitz told the Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper when asked if Webber would receive 'equivalent' treatment.

"Both will get the same material. The only change is that Mark has a new chief mechanic."

Asked about his goals for his two F1 teams for this season, Mateschitz said: "We really have no other choice than to defend both World Champion titles with Red Bull Racing.

"Toro Rosso will be looking to improve, the team should be in the midfield, fighting Force India, Sauber and Lotus F1 for fifth place."