FORMULA 1 - 2012

Vettel: You haven't seen the best of me

157010034_2877146.jpg

Sebastian Vettel is confident that he can still improve his performance in Formula 1 despite already being a three-time champion.

The German became only the third driver in history to complete a title triple with Red Bull this year, emulating the feats of Juan Manuel Fangio and Michael Schumacher, but insists there is even more to come from both him and the Red Bull team.

Still only 25 years old, few would bet against Vettel adding to his tally in the years to come.

"In terms of results, the last three years and winning the constructors' championship have been perfect but I still feel that there are little bits here and there we can improve on," Vettel told AUTOSPORT.

"That's the philosophy and the spirit that we share in the whole team. You can always do better."

Vettel doesn't seem particularly interested in comparing his feat to those of other drivers, either. After all, there are still more titles to be won.

"At the moment, I don't really reflect too much on what has happened over the last three years," he said.

"I am extremely happy and extremely proud of what we have achieved.

"If you put it into perspective, it sounds even crazier when you look at the people who have achieved the same or similar in the past.

"It's better not to put it into perspective and to carry on focusing on what we do.

"We are having fun, we are very passionate and that makes the difference.

"We did it our way and that's what made the year very special."

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferrari president: Massa's our man

Felipe-Massa_2851102.jpg

Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo is convinced they made the right choice in handing Felipe Massa a fresh contract for 2013.

Key for Massa in keeping his job was the second half of the season, when he showed dramatic improvement after what was an admittedly poor start to the 2012 campaign.

While some believed Ferrari should have looked to a younger driver, the Ferrari president has no doubt over the decision to stick with Massa.

"The Brazilian improved a great deal in the second half: in fact in the first part, it seemed he'd gone on a round the world holiday!" said Di Montezemolo during his annual Christmas lunch with media at Maranello this week.

"Joking apart, I think the decision to reconfirm his position was the right one. If we had changed, then one would need to take on someone who would make a difference and I can't say I noticed many drivers around who would be quicker than Felipe.

"Also, we did not want to change the balance and the good atmosphere within the team. Domenicali and I told ourselves it was best to wait and I think that the facts proved us right.

"Towards the end, when Felipe was even faster than Fernando a couple of times, the points he scored played a vital part in securing our place in the constructors' championship."

Reflecting on the year that was, Di Montezemolo admitted to disappointment at missing out on the championship by such a narrow margin, but also felt the team had done a great job.

"You can see the glass as half full or half empty, but clearly there is great regret," he added.

"Because the outcome went down to the wire, because after that first lap in Brazil, maybe things could have turned out differently, because Fernando went on holiday at the start of the summer break with a 40 point lead over his closest challenger and because, when it came to collisions, we were forced to retire, while others kept going as if nothing had happened.

"However, the biggest regret is that we did not have a car that was quick enough to win the world championship.

"On the glass half full side, we had amazing reliability which allowed us to come second in the constructors' championship despite the fact McLaren was quicker than us and despite the fact that, in the first half of the season we pretty much only had Alonso's points to count on.

"There were those great starts and pit stops and the fact Fernando had an extraordinary season, the best since he has been in Formula 1.

"Next year, let's hope we can say it was our best season, given that we want to give him and Felipe a car that's competitive right from the start."

Di Montezemolo: Time to end "one-man show"

88657793_2877087.jpg

Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo says Formula 1 needs a "more modern view" and hinted that the Bernie Ecclestone era may be close to coming to an end.

The Italian is of the opinion that the sport needs a change in direction - one that would no longer involve Ecclestone, it seems.

"We are very close to opening a new page in the future of F1, acknowledging the good work that Bernie has done but moving on," Di Montezemolo said.

"I always say to Bernie the one-man show in life is finished."

Di Montezemolo made the remarks at Ferrari's traditional pre-Christmas media lunch at the team's base in Maranello.

While there few surprises amongst the issues he chose to highlight, like his ongoing distaste for the four-year-old ban on in-season testing and the overwhelming importance of aerodynamics in F1, he did appear to go further than ever regarding his feelings about how the sport is currently run.

"We are slowly approaching the end of a period characterised by the style of one man who has done significant things," said Di Montezemolo, 65.

"It's a bit of a similar case to what will happen to me: within the decade I will face this question, but when I am 75 not 82."

In a talkative mood, Di Montezemolo even brought up Ecclestone's problems in Germany, where the state prosecutor is considering charging him following the conviction of a banker for accepting a bribe from the F1 boss during the sale of the sport.

"First of all, I hope for Bernie and F1 that nothing will happen," Di Montezemolo said. "If Bernie is accused under process I think he will be the first to step back in the interests of Formula 1. This could be bad for F1."

The Ferrari president also wasn't happy with Ecclestone getting involved in the controversy about whether world champion Sebastian Vettel had made an illegal overtaking move in the title-deciding Brazilian Grand Prix.

Ferrari questioned the move, but the FIA confirmed the world champion had done nothing wrong - a view Ecclestone clearly shared, calling Ferrari's actions "a joke".

Di Montezemolo said: "Every so often, Bernie likes to play the boss and gets involved in matters that don't concern him - godfathers no longer exist, at least not in Formula 1.

"Interpretation of flags, be they yellow or blue, is nothing to do with him and he used expressions that I do not accept.

"Our behaviour in this instance was not only transparent, but perfect, and maybe he would do better to think about attracting bigger crowds and more youngsters, and to discuss more with the television stations and the media."

Other issues Di Montozemolo raised were his dislike for new races to be held at circuits he felt were in the middle of nowhere and had no atmosphere, his dismay at the lack of engine manufacturers, concern over F1's ageing audience and the lack of opportunity to develop technology relevant for road cars.

"If I could have tomorrow, Porsche engines, Honda, Audi that would be good. But if you cannot develop your engines it is not possible. It is one of the main problems that we face," he said.

"We have 100 people working only in the wind tunnel. Why? It is a joke. We don't do any mechanical research. We don't test any more.

"We are not in a position to give young drivers opportunity in a competitive way. We are not in a position to organise events for sponsors.

"Yes I'm in favour of reducing costs but I'm not in favour of not testing at Mugello (Ferrari's test track), or for somebody else not to test at Silverstone just because some teams cannot afford it."

On testing, he added: "It's getting close to ridiculous. The FIA is not opposed to it, we are not, and so what is the reason for it?

"There are teams who have put a lot of funding into simulators as have we, while at the same time we have invested heavily at Mugello, which is now one of the nicest circuits in the world."

Ferrari to split focus in 2013

Stefano-Domenicali-2012_2801464.jpg

With regulation chances looming in 2014, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has revealed the team are splitting their development focus.

Sweeping aerodynamic changes earmarked for the 2014 season have been scrapped, but teams will still have to contend with new engine regulations.

In an attempt to be well prepared when the changes come into play, Domenicali explains that the Italian outfit have two separate development teams at work.

"We have decided, particularly in light of the unusual demands we will face in 2013, when we will have a completely new project to work on for the future, to have two coordinators: Simone Resta, an engineer who has developed his career in Maranello and is very effective, will work on the 2013 car and Fabio Montecchi, will deal with the one for the following year.

Nikolas Tombazis continues as chief designer," Domenicali told Ferrari's official website.

"We must also apply in other areas what we have done at the track, for example in production: as was confirmed by some new arrivals from outside the company, in our "time to market," by which is meant the time from conception to producing the parts and in our long term research. "

Ferrari have at times appeared one step behind their rivals in terms of development and Domenicali says they need to think outside the box to ensure this doesn't happen next season.

"We are well aware that we must start off with a more competitive car, as our President has demanded," he explained.

"Clearly we have only been concentrating all our efforts on the new one from a few weeks before the final race, given we pushed right to the end on this year's. The 2013 car will be launched at the very end of January or the early days of February: as usual, the first one will be just a launch version, while the complete one will be seen in the final days of testing or in Australia, so as to make the most of all the time available."

Scheckter shuns Alonso for Vettel and Hamilton

alonso-hamilton-0876543.jpg

Jody Scheckter rates Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton as the two best drivers in Formula 1, shunning Fernando Alonso with whom he says he has lost respect for.

Speaking to MotorSport magazine, the 1979 world champion was asked to name which driver he rated most.

"I always put Vettel and Lewis together as the top two," he said. "I probably have to put Alonso into that but I would probably pick those two drivers, yeah," he added.

When pushed on why Alonso failed to make his top two, he explained how the Spaniard's debut and only season with McLaren had resulted in him losing all respect for the two-time champion.

"I think what he did when he was at McLaren has just put me off him for life, I suppose," explained Scheckter, though he couldn't deny Alonso's talent. "I think he drove well this year, there’s no question about that, he’s doing a good job on that, but when somebody does something like that you lose respect for them."

On the other hand, Alonso's then team-mate Hamilton has impressed the 62-year-old hugely since his debut season in 2007.

"When he came his first year and a half, two years, it was brilliant," he said. "I mean no one comes in and has that sort of performance with so little things going wrong. It was incredible.

"Last year he was not even making mistakes by being over-aggressive. He was just making mistakes that were completely stupid.

"I rate him as the best driver in heavy traffic. I used to rate Jenson [button] as one of the worst but he’s become quite good in traffic now. But Lewis has been for me in the first years fantastic.

"He did some manoeuvres in traffic that were just… and got away with it most of the time except for last year. I'm definitely a fan of his."

Ecclestone christmas card has Hamilton and Lauda in Mercedes cash heist

ecclestone-christmas-card-640x400.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone has this week delighted his Christmas card recipients with his latest humorous handiwork.

Every year, the Formula One chief executive commissions an original cartoon for his annual card, depicting a contemporary F1 issue with a mischievous tilt.

For the 2012 holiday season, the 82-year-old’s card shows Lewis Hamilton abandoning his broken-down McLaren and leaping into a Mercedes saloon.

The silver road car is being driven by the red-capped Niki Lauda, and in the passenger seat is a big golden bag of cash for Briton Hamilton.

They are bound for Stuttgart, which according to the roadside sign, is “Not far”.

Thailand has grand prix plans for 2015

107674138-340x230.jpg

Thailand expects to host a floodlit Formula One Grand Prix in Bangkok in 2015, after plans were pushed back a year, the governor of the national sports authority said on Friday.

“An F1 race is likely to take place here in early 2015 instead of in 2014 [as] in our initial plan,” Kanokphand Chulakasem told the Bangkok Post newspaper.

The 2014 season is due to see two new races, at Sochi in Russia and at a New Jersey street circuit, on a calendar which already has a record 20 rounds, but Thailand would be a novelty for the year after.

Bangkok’s Rajamangala stadium recently hosted the annual Race of Champions event with Red Bull’s triple world champion Sebastian Vettel teaming up with Michael Schumacher to win the team title for Germany.

The paper’s website quoted Red Bull’s Michael de Santiesteban, representative of the energy drink’s Thai co-owner Chalerm Yoovidhya, as saying that talks with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone were going well.

“It is likely to be held in Bangkok. With Thailand on the calendar, a current race is likely to be removed,” he said.

Chulakasem met Ecclestone at this year’s Singapore Grand Prix in September and said then that there was an agreement in principle for a race in 2014.

Tourism and sports minister Chumpol Silpa-archa said at the same time that the government would bear 60 percent of the total cost and the rest would come from private companies.

Red Bull’s British-based Formula One team has won both championships for the past three years and are expected to back the Thai race.

Southeast Asia already has two races, in Malaysia and the night-time Singapore Grand Prix.

Hulkenberg: I’m at Sauber to collect as many points as possible

d12usa642.jpg

Sauber’s inexperienced driver lineup will not hold the Swiss team back in 2013, Nico Hulkenberg insists.

d12ger2428-340x230.jpg

25-year-old Hulkenberg, who is moving from Force India after returning to F1 this year, will be joined at the Hinwil based team by Mexican rookie Esteban Gutierrez.

Compared to Sauber’s 2012 lineup, Hulkenberg and 21-year-old Gutierrez have 60 grands prix less experience than departing drivers Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez.

“No – I am bringing my bag of experience,” said German Hulkenberg, who sat out the 2011 season after debuting for Williams the previous year.

“Sure, it’s a new car for me, but every other team will have a new car as well that you have to get used to.

“So I don’t think it’s going to be a severe handicap,” he told Blick newspaper on a visit to Sauber’s Swiss headquarters.

However, with only two seasons under his belt, Hulkenberg finds himself the de-facto ‘team leader’ at Sauber for 2013. He doesn’t really agree.

d12mal1828-001-340x230.jpg

“I don’t see the difference. It is a fact I have more experience [than Esteban Gutierrez] on paper, but I don’t see myself in a different role than at Force India.

“At the end of the day I’m here to collect as many points as possible. Whether you are team leader or not doesn’t make much difference.”

Hulkenberg said he doesn’t know who is going to replace him at Force India, amid reports that Adrian Sutil and Jules Bianchi are the hot favourites.

“I have no idea, really,” said the German. ”I thought it was Sutil, but now the wait is taking so long, maybe logic suggests otherwise. But I have heard nothing. My concentration is [at Sauber] now.”

Amid perceptions that he is making a ‘sideways step’ in the midfield, he defends his decision to swap Force India for Sauber.

“Yes, there were some races where Sauber fared poorly,” said Hulkenberg, “but they proved this year that they have a fast car. Often I was overtaken by a Sauber this year and I saw for two or three corners how good the car is before it was gone. Naturally I sometimes wished that I was sitting in it.”

It has been rumoured that Hulkenberg is being groomed by Ferrari-powered Sauber for a switch to the Maranello based team in 2014. Asked how long he will be a Sauber driver, Hulkenberg laughed: “I don’t know yet. We will see next year. [sauber] basically does the contracts for one year only.”