Review: Ramon Allones Extra 2011 RE

While in Mexico this past December, I brought along a dozen plus cigars. I decided to review two in a different way. I would smoke and illustrate what I was seeing and tasting. The result is a mixed media review using drawing pencils, water colour paint and the original bands

I hope you enjoy it.

rolleyes.gif Please note. Title says RE, should be LE. Can't change it. post-6763-0-81945200-1329606551.jpg

Thanks for the feedback folks. Don't get too focused on the 82 score. Dozens of other people here swear by them. I was just expecting more. I have a few more singles. Hopefully I'll see what the other are getting. :)

Loved the two reviews you did, point for point pretty much exactly my experience too, even after approaching with not big expectations. I have two more RAE sitting that I'll try in a few months time but I'm not overly bothered. the 1966 I had may have just been a bad stick but at that price there is no excuse for having a bad stick :(

Hope to see more reviews in this style!

I had one last evening. It was a very good smoke in terms of flavor, strength snd evolution but had repeated burn issues requiring touch ups. I'm not in the habit of scoring my smokes but my forthcoming review will reveal it was very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree with your review. I immediately received the chocolate bouquet opening the box, but was less than impressed with the flavors I received. Was harsh, obviously young. Hoping, like the rest of us with poor experiences, that these will age magnificently. I'm putting them to bed for a year.

I had my second RAE yesterday. It was a far better experience the second time around. About four months have passed since I lit up the one that is in this review.

Highlights:

Excellent development over every third. This example had far more character.

Sweet and savoury notes trading off each other with every few puffs. A few bitter notes here and there but not unpleasant.

Caramel notes, cedar, nougat, honey, toasty tobacco, and a very refreshing sourdough hit to open up the first third.

One of two things have happened.

Either the first one I had was a dud. Or this cigar improved over time. I'm now thinking that I should be smoking at least two cigars from any new box I pick up to assess the quality and readiness of the contents within.

And for the record. I score this second RAE a 92.