La Gloria Cubana Gloriosos UK RE 2009

Lotusguy

Box code: TEB NOV 08

Smoke time: 1:15

Paired with coffee

Medium colorado wrapper with a few veins and bumps - I've definitely seen prettier wrappers on REs.

Fantastic special embossed LGC band - those UK REs really stand out from the rest (see also the PL Regalias De Londres)!

Slightly grassy at cold

Wonderful draw (I used a punch, as I usually do with such a larger RG stick)

1st third: Opens with grassy notes and a noticeable "twang". Light sourness on the retrohale. Fruity and on the light side of medium body. It reminds me of the last MdO #1 that I had but doesn't need to be smoked so slowly and carefully since it is a much thicker cigar.It is also less floral. I find myself burning this one pretty fast since it is so tasty. Very straight burn so far, despite a bit of wind. Milk coffee notes. Cigar becomes creamier as I force myself to slow down. Strength picks up a little bit towards the end of the first third. Ash holds until past the first third.

2nd third: A little bit of honey sweetness creeps into the milk coffee. Like most LGCs, this just hits the sweet spot of my cigar taste. I guess I simply do enjoy lighter-bodied cigars. I didn't take notes last time I had one of the LGC Inmensas but I do remember being just as pleased as with this stick. Very glad that Habanos managed to hit the LGC profile in such a thick ring gauge. My last MdO #2 tasted very similar as well, but it had 6+ years on it. Come to think of it, this stick is from November 08 so it's not exactly ROTT either. Twang remains. Very easy to retrohale since there is no spice and no harshness at all. Straight burn, no touch-ups required. Ash falls again after the third is done.

3rd third: A little wood comes in and stays but nowhere near to the level like many HDM cigars show. A bit darker roast coffee but the sweetness remains. Very steady flavors and burn. Mouth coating finish that lingers for a long time after each puff. I was reading other reviews of this cigar on the web and was surprised to see that others noticed spiciness and/or black pepper. That was completely missing from this stick and is not something I normally associate with LGC. Never left the medium body range. Another review also noted a 2+ hours smoke time - I barely made it last more than 1:15 which is fast for me but the cigar never got harsh or bitter. I just couldn't help myself :) Don't try that with the MdO series or it will overheat and taste nasty!

Final remarks: I almost have to deduct one point for the 50 ring gauge which simply makes a stick unwieldy in my opinion but otherwise it was a fantastic cigar with the full-on LGC profile, wonderful construction (despite the somewhat veiny wrapper) and an outstanding taste. It didn't have a lot of evolution, but that's not a requirement if you happen to enjoy the steady profile that the cigar offers. LGC remains one of my favorite Marcas. I need to see if I can pick up some of the new Belux RE and the Swiss RE as well as a box of MdO #4 then my collection is complete.

Final score: 95 - loved it! However, you can pick up regular production LGCs for much less dough and they don't taste that different so I likely won't be picking up another box.

post-7384-0-88715200-1329704629.jpg

post-7384-0-12281400-1329704643.jpg

post-7384-0-94808800-1329704656.jpg

Excellent review, Claus! I also have a box with the same code coming from the same locale! :lookaround: Can't wait!

I absolutely love the LGC lineup as well, fits in so nicely with my lighter-profile tastes of Cohiba and Trinidad (to be the yin for yang trifecta to go opposite of my love for dark and brooding RA, Montecristo, and Partagas favourites!)

Glad to hear this fits the bill nicely. For the pricepoint, I don't think they're that bad of a pricing - yes, compared to the MdO series, they're a bit more, but if the performance meets the bill, these are still dollar-for-dollar much better than many other EL and RE releases out there. Also, these seem to have come down a fair bit in price in recent years, much more especially considering their price at release. If the performance is there, I can't wait!!!!

Cheers. Thanks for sharing amigo!