Recommended TV series

KurtE

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just started watching justified, don't mind it at all.

Archer. Absolutely hilarious!

Penny dreadful gets a vote from me. Silicon Valley is quite funny

Life On Mars (the origional UK version) this was followed by Ashes to Ashes - these two series (and one must watch both) had the most interesting and original stories I have ever seen on TV.

When I comes to comedies nothing beats Frasier.

I'm watching

The Following - not usually into thrillers, but caught me and good for a change

1600 Penn - cheap, short ep comedy. already a fan of 3 main actors before this

Elementary - modern day Sherlock Holmes (SickBoy from Trainspotting) & Lucy Liu

Looking forward to more

Doctor Who - should be coming back soon.

The Newsroom - waiting for this to resume

Rake - Australian, Lawyer show with a 'tragic hero'. His major flaw is hookers... and drugs... um, gambling too.. and other stuff.

US remake of Rake - heard about this a few weeks ago, hope it's a winner. I think Wilfred was a good result.

Fan of these older shows

The Practice, West Wing

I couldn't get through Season One. Show needed some serious editing. Way too many episodes.

IIRC the writers never had the whole story planned out, I suppose they were reacting to viewers, reviewers, natural churn in the (support) writing staff, new ideas, and no clue how long they can milk the rating and advertisers, so it seems like there are 3-4 shifts/pivots in the story over the life of the show.

At the time, the first season was fresh and different, riding on a lot of hype and trying long-form character introductions, and by the start of the 3rd season it felt stale and boring. I dropped it for a year or so, went back and watched it in bulk and I think season4 excited me again, or maybe the second half of S3.

Anyway, whether or not LOST is your 'cup of tea', having whole seasons of a series to watch en masse is pretty cool. And there's been a lot of noise about House of Cards and how it's responding to- and impacting on- how people watch 'tv'.

And there's been a lot of noise about House of Cards and how it's responding to- and impacting on- how people watch 'tv'.

watched the original 'house of cards' about 6 months ago. great stuff if looking a little dated. ian richardson was superb - that phrase 'you might say that. i couldn't posssibly comment' still pops up regularly. i gather kevin spacey is in the new 'house of cards'? i'm a big fan but he'll have to be very good to maatch richardson.

and great to see someone mention archer. very funny.

Suits. Anybody watch suits?

YES! Suits is probably one of my favorite shows on TV currently.

Some others I really enjoy are:

White Collar (Another great USA series like Suits)

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

House of Lies

The Newsroom (Can`t wait for the 2nd season to air this summer)

House of Lies

Boss (until they cancelled it)

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite show ever was LOST.

Suits

Shameless

Homeland

House of Lies

White Collar

Dexter

Psych

Prison Break

Boardwalk Empire

Dirty Jobs is another one of my all time favorites.

I got the first four seasons of Mad Men on Blu Ray for $7 each on Black Friday a couple of years ago at Best Buy. I haven't unwrapped the plastic on seasons two through four yet.

....I got the first four seasons of Mad Men on Blu Ray for $7 each on Black Friday a couple of years ago at Best Buy. I haven't unwrapped the plastic on seasons two through four yet.

Seasons 3 and 4 are the best seasons, IMO. Season 1 and 2, in retrospect, were a bit dry almost, but were very necessary to set things up for the rest of the storylines. One of the favourite shows of my wife and I (right up there with Lost, Justified, and The Walking Dead).

• 2 weeks later...

I also just started watching The Americans, very promising show that's not getting the attention it deserves.

Also for those who can handle EXTREMELY rude humor, the Australian comic Jim Jefferies has a show called Legit that's one of the funniest and freshest shows out there right now. People easily offended really shouldn't watch the show, but anyone who can laugh at dark humor might appreciate this. The episode called 'Anger' (4?) is a must-watch for anyone who flies frequently.

FX is really stepping up with shows like The Americans, Archer, Legit and of course the incredible Louie.

I am pretty much an HBO fanboy. Most of their dramas over the last 15 years are really good (with a few exceptions). AMC has some really good stuff recently as well. I am not as big of a fan of Showtime, but they have some enjoyable shows.

Favorites

The Wire (probably my favorite drama ever)

Deadwood (probably 2nd)

The Sopranos

Rome

Six Feet Under (couple of the middle seasons were bad, but it recovered in the end)

Game of Thrones

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

John Adams

AMC

Madmen

Breaking Bad

The Walking Dead (great subject matter and great pilot- the rest is up and down)

Showtime

Brotherhood

Shameless

Chris Haddock had some good shows on Canadian TV as well, Intelligence and the later seasons of Davinci's Inquest/ City Hall were really good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...