Recommended TV series

KurtE

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just started watching justified, don't mind it at all.

Archer. Absolutely hilarious!

Penny dreadful gets a vote from me. Silicon Valley is quite funny

Ok here we go - had to stop watching films pretty much as it drives me nuts not being able to watch one all the way through, so got into TV shows.....

There's quite a range here and in no particular order:

Prison Break

Penny Dreadful

American Horror Story S1/S2

Supernatural

Longmire

Copper

True Blood

Ripper Street

Bates Motel

The Following

Walking Dead

Breaking Bad

Orange is the New Black

Battle Star Galactica

24 (First 4 seasons)

The Unit (First 3 seasons)

Dexter (First 3 seasons)

Firefly

Jutified

Sons of Anarchy

Heroes

Doll House

There's probably more, but that'll do for now... lol3.gif

• Like 1

Breaking Bad, Homeland, The Sopranos, House of Cards, The Wire, Dexter, 24 are my all time favorites. The Tyrant which is a new show on FX is decent as well...if you like 24 and Homeland you will probably like it as it is the same writer.

• 4 months later...

Two period shows have really grabbed my attention.

They are both on Netflix and one is a Netflix original. Some of the Netflix originals are produced by the Weinstein company which is a pretty big deal.

Copper & Peaky Blinders

I was not expecting much from these shows, but they delivered. The really cool part is that people are constantly smoking cigars int them (more so in Copper). Peaky Blinders has a great production value and the Weinstein company also just put out Marco Polo on Netflix. I am a couple episodes in and it is pretty cool too.

Marco Polo season 1 just came out on Netflix. I sat and watched every episode. Great series.

I just started American Horror Story and it's pretty good. Some of my favs

House of Cards

Orange is the New Black

VIKINGS!!!! (current favorite)

Sons of Anarchy

Supernatural

Breaking Bad

LilyHammer

Dexter

The Following

Hell on Wheels

Doctor Who

Alphas

Boss

Warehouse 13

Firefly (+ The movie Serenity)

Friday Night Lights

Wilfred

Hemlock Grove

From Dusk Till Dawn (series)

Eastbound and Down

I also watch some oldies

Miami Vice

Rockford Files

Cheers

Vikings season 3 is coming in a month.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started True Detective and starting to get hooked. I also like Black Sails - mainly because of Jessica Parker Kennedy and love the opening credits. Hopefully the second season comes out here in Oz soon. Other favourites have been mentioned.

• Like 1

Marco Polo season 1 just came out on Netflix. I sat and watched every episode. Great series.

I just started American Horror Story and it's pretty good. Some of my favs

House of Cards

Orange is the New Black

VIKINGS!!!! (current favorite)

Sons of Anarchy

Supernatural

Breaking Bad

LilyHammer

Dexter

The Following

Hell on Wheels

Doctor Who

Alphas

Boss

Warehouse 13

Firefly (+ The movie Serenity)

Friday Night Lights

Wilfred

Hemlock Grove

From Dusk Till Dawn (series)

Eastbound and Down

I also watch some oldies

Miami Vice

Rockford Files

Cheers

Vikings season 3 is coming in a month.

Awsome show

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention 'Peaky Blinders'. A grittier kind of Boardwalk Empire set in Britain after the end of the first world war. They were called the Peaky Blinders because they attached razor blades to the peaks of their caps to use in gang fights.

• 4 weeks later...

PEAKY BLINDERS: THE BEST SHOW YOU’RE NOT WATCHING

peaky1.jpg

There’s a scene in the first season of Peaky Blinders where Thomas Shelby (Cillian Murphy) whips his razor blade-laced newsboy cap across the face of a gypsy who just proudly insulted his family. In that moment, all the coldness in his Shelby’s bleeds out on the screen. It’s the kind of moment that makes you shout, “Oh, ****!” and lean back in your seat like Zach LaVine just threw down something vicious. It’s also the kind of scene that showcases the intriguingly raw brutality that lurks quietly around every corner in the early 1900s gangster series you need to be watching.

The show focuses on the Peaky Blinders—a British gang based on a real-life group from back in the day. Thomas Shelby, the leader of the dapper clan, is a war hero who operates the family’s bookie business while downing Irish whiskey and outsmarting every hapless soul he crosses. It’s in Inspector Chester Campbell (Sam Neill), a detective set on bringing down the Shelby crew, however, that Tommy may have met his match.
That’s the plot, but it’s not the reason you should watch.
The reason you should watch Peaky Blinders is the perfection in every tiny detail. Each is unique and superb.
There’s the feel, like you’re a child watching grownups play some sort of violent game. The smallest cut delivers the cringe of chipped teeth on glass. Everything is taken to 11.
There’s the scenery and cinematography which give Birmingham a dreary and dangerous vibe (think Gangs of New York but hazier). Every shot looks like it was pulled from your favorite Instagram account.
There’s the music from the likes of The White Stripes and other modern rock acts that’s so wrong for the time but so right for the vibe.
There are the outfits. The fookin’ sharp outfits. Each of which is topped off by a hat worthy of hiding a memorable haircut.
Finally, there’s Murphy himself, who most only know from smaller parts in Inception and The Dark Knight Rises. He steals the show through hypnotizingly poetic talk. Even the performance from (*SPOILER ALERT*) Tom Hardy in Season 2 can’t draw your attention away from the main Shelby.
The story, while good, is an afterthought.
The first season of the BBC Two series flew under the radar for most American audiences, and is only now picking up steam thanks to Netflix. It has a near-perfect rating, and, while Netflix ratings are notoriously suspect, it’s worthy of those filled-in stars.
Season 3 is coming, but if you haven’t started watching yet, you should do so fookin’ pronto.
  • Like 1

FYI - I initially was a big pusher here for Black Sails last year when it premiered. Season 2 is already kicking season 1's ass!

• Like 1