"Jura" 10 yr old

danistalking

Went to a Irish pub last night and they had a really good selection of scotches and whiskeys (I've never seen a pub with such a selection..). Anyways they had this "Jura" on the menu. I unfortunately didn't have a chance to try it.

Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

For the locals, the place was called "St. James Gate" in Etobicoke(west Toronto). At Kipling & Dundas.

As I recall, it had a sharp nose of citrus and the sea, a peppery woody astringent taste and a dull malty finish with hints of peat. A young and fairly unbalanced whisky, it wasn't bad but an average drinkable one. However, compared to the other 10 year old from the Isle of Skye, the Jura 10 does seem to fall a bit short.

However, compared to the other 10 year old from the Isle of Skye, the Jura 10 does seem to fall a bit short.

Jura is the only distillery on the Isle of Dura, which is generally considered part of Islay (whisky-wise).

The Isle of Skye is much further north.

Aye, you are right indeed on the geographical locations and on the status of Jura as the sole distillery.

However, my statement was misunderstood. No matter, for the Jura 10 is still a very drinkable dram.

Jura is the only distillery on the Isle of Dura, which is generally considered part of Islay (whisky-wise).

The Isle of Skye is much further north.

Lets put it this way. There is actually a saying between many people from Scotland in the whisky trade. They say... The names of most of the crud whisky start with the letter "T" ... except for Talisker. And, of course... there is the honorary mention which we call "Tura"...

I didn't make that up. I've been told that by several different folks in the business. I've tried Jura once. Eh. I don't think it's that bad. But, won't order if if other things are available. (Won't refuse it if it is offered at a friends house.) That's my opinion though...

Haven't heard anything particularly good about it. The Malt Maniacs crew rate it as good but not recommendable. There are a lot of other whiskies, scotch and others, I would try instead. For newer independent distilleries the Kicholman stuff is generating a lot of buzz. I don't think they have released a whiskey over five years yet, but even though they apparently know what they are doing. This is what I'm on the look out for, at the moment.

Went to a Irish pub last night and they had a really good selection of scotches and whiskeys (I've never seen a pub with such a selection..). Anyways they had this "Jura" on the menu. I unfortunately didn't have a chance to try it.

For the locals, the place was called "St. James Gate" in Etobicoke(west Toronto). At Kipling & Dundas.

Try the video reviews on youtube:

jurawhisky

ralfystuff

TheWhiskyStore

Enjoy, Alex

First off I preffer to drink Balvenie portwood, it's the whisky I drink 9/10 times. Of the 10 year olds I enjoy at the moment Talisker an Laiphroag are top of my list.

I picked up a bottle of Jura 10 year old last year whilst shopping in sainsbury's and sampled it the following evening with a cigar.

I'm not trying to be clever or anything but this is my experience of the whisky. It was pretty flat until the nasty brine finish hit me and made me grimmace. The finish is so harsh and salty it was akin to having a coyote with a urinary infection p*ss into my mouth.

I was forced to wash my mouth out with listerine immediately which failed to remove all of the skanky brine from my mouth. The cigar (probably a RASCC) was ruined and thus my evening. I heard that Belinda Carlisle used to drink her own urine, she probably was given a bottle of Jura as a present! Then figured out she could drink a smoother dram for alot less cash!

Agricola

Don't bother with this one. Had the misfortune of going through a bottle nearly ten years ago. Can't remember the specific tasting notes (which of course is not a ringing endorsement of any whisky) but did not enjoy it at all. I would advise others to sample if they ever get a chance (so you understand) but to never buy a bottle.

• 2 months later...

Aye, you are right indeed on the geographical locations and on the status of Jura as the sole distillery.

However, my statement was misunderstood. No matter, for the Jura 10 is still a very drinkable dram.

In Scotch-- there is something for everyone. I actually like Jura Whisky because it is distinctive. But for the many who already have in their head that certain flavor profile for which they are "looking for" in a dram, Jura is more often likened to that bottle of wine going thru its "dumb" period. In other words it can come across as muddled-- or confused-- with "off" flavors predominating. And that's OK with me :-)

Its not my 'goto' Dram of choice, but I enjoy it on occasion nonetheless. And so should you if you like :-)