• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tmac77....Santos is not in Nicaragua and has never been there. The past year he was in and out of Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. Initially in a Best Western as a house roller and subsequently La Baca, in The

I will let you all decide but my two cents: 1. I have met John in person numerous times, fantastic dude 2. I have seen pics with John and Santos together in Cuba many times over the past 4 years sin

All I know is like any cigar, you have ones you love and ones you can take or leave. I can honestly say I think Johns cigars are some of the tastiest cigars around, no matter what kind of tobacco he s

Has anyone ever had these? I picked up an assorted bundle, and man are they a good cigar for a change of pace. Can't put my finger on the flavor profile, but I would say somewhere between Cohiba and Partagas. Would love to hear others' thoughts.

I picked up an assorted bundle from him a couple months ago but havent got around to trying one yet. Glad to hear they are good. Have to try one when I get home next week.

I'm curious! Where O where O WHERE can they be found (online). And are they actual CUBAN tobacco???????? Thanks. Really 'preciate the help.

• Like 2

I'm curious! Where O where O WHERE can they be found (online). And are they actual CUBAN tobacco???????? Thanks. Really 'preciate the help.

Follow-up. Wasn't thinking. May have violated a forum rule. If so - never mind

PM or emails are totally acceptable.

Edited by Trevor2118
Moderators note added

I find them more to be a mix between Cohiba and HDM than Partagas. Grassy, sweet, toasted marshmallow, hints of spice, but they are peso cigars sold for a massive up charge. Their origins are Cuban, since the taste is very much of Cuban stock. They are no Hamlets, Reynaldos, or Handsome Jimmy's. Still, for their value, you won't get regular Cubans of their size for remotely close in price. They are best fresh or with many, many, many years on them.

Well I have one in my possesion gifted to me and this thread made me want to light it up. I've heard mixed reviews about these, mostly that they're pretty mild but we'll see. Mine is a dble robusto age is unknown but it's from atleast 4-5yrs ago. I'll post thoughts when finished.

So far about 1/3rd into it and it is better than I expected. Fairly med-full body, very cedary, floral and sweet. Doesn't really taste like a Cohiba or a Partagas maybe a little HdM from some of the Epi 2's I've had that have had the floral sweetness aspect. At first light it actually reminded me of some of the NC sungrowns I've had.

The ones I have are fresh; John said that they are best within the first few months, or with a few years on them. I've had some of HJ's salomones, and I prefer the Johnny O's hands down. The ones I have are very well rolled and the draws are spot on, vs. the Salomones I had which were underfilled and bland. Maybe HJ was having an off day.

A couple of years ago I had a couple of Johnny O's that I didn't care for, but I'm really enjoying these. Might go down and light up another for a night cap ;)

Glad to hear some of your takes on them. I think they're a good custom roll.

Well finishing up the Johnny O dble robusto. Pretty one dimensional smoke, stayed med/ med-full the whole way. Predominant flavors of cedar, sweetness and a floral aspect, a little spice towards the last third but overall an average to good cigar but it really tasted like most of the NC's I smoke. I'd keep em in a rotation but if you want something special to smoke I would look elsewhere. Don't know what the price point is for these but it's def no Reynaldo or Hamlet, and just to clarify I haven't smoked either but just judging by the reveiws I've seen for those two rollers this doesn't compare at all. Hope this little review helps. Rating would be prob 85/100.

No, of course not. From my limited experience they taste like Nicaraguan tobacco.

I would be happy to send you a few more to try if you'd like. I've been fairly unimpressed overall but would love an assessment on the cigars I've been sampling.

Wilkey

I have smoked quite a few of John's cigars. Currently, I have a bundle of shaggy-foot coronas resting, but I have smoked at least a half dozen different vitolas. These cigars he claims are rolled by a "world famous" roller, but I have no idea who this roller is. Not all of his smokes are sold as "world famous". Some are sold as factory rolled.

Most of these cigars are fresh, and can be extremely different from one batch to the other. Some of them I would consider just average, while others would be very good, but I have never had a really bad one. I would rate them anywhere from the mid-80's to the low 90's, and any given bundle could be anywhere in that range. There is also a wide range in wrapper color. You may get anything from a light Colorado to almost maduro-ish.

As far as the origins of the tobacco...hell, I don't know. I have opened a bundle and the smell, look, and taste scream Cuban, but I have opened others that are just the opposite. It is really a complete mystery to me. All I know is they are a decent cigar and I enjoy smoking one every now and then. That's what it is really all about anyhow.

These cigars are not really hard to come by (at least in the U.S.), and I would reccomend giving one a try if you have the opportunity.

Maybe the older ones were less consistent. The three I've had have evolved and were 92-93 smokes. I think I have a discerning palate, and I have been craving these.

Agreed. I got a bundle of CGs and could barely keep myself from smoking them all within a few weeks. Really found myself craving them. I have left about half the bundle down to age, so we'll see what comes of them in a year or two.

I've gotten bundles and mixed samplers of cigars from John on several occasions, and for the price, they really are great. I've had the pleasure of smoking some examples with several years of age on them, and these were consistently the best examples I've smoked. Like with any "custom" or "farm rolled" sticks, it all comes down to the tobacco the roller has access to, which in my experience with J-O, ranges from extremely high quality, to just good enough. I've never had a total bust from him, but I've had some examples that were either too tight, or too light. It happens, but for the price you can't really be too upset. Sizes I've had the best luck with are the Baby Salomones, Lanceros (pig tail/shag foot, 8x38 monsters!), the culebras (believe it or not! Crazy cigars, and fun to share), any lonsdale sized sticks (especially those with the shag feet), and the shorts. As for the origin of the tobacco, I really do believe that they are indeed Cuban. Again, as with any customs, quality of tobacco makes a huge impact, no matter how flawless the roll is. As for saying that it is Nicaraguan, or otherwise, I would swear that some of the wrappers I've had on EL's (the Upmann Mag 48 comes to mind) could easily pass for Nicaraguan. I've never had a cigar from J-O that didn't have at least one element that was truly "Cubanesque". I know calling cigars Cubanesque is pretty loaded, especially the way it has been beaten like a dead horse by the marketing departments of every NC brand on earth, but if nothing else, the overuse makes it all the more obvious when something really IS Cubanesque. John is also a joy to deal with. Not always the fastest communication via email, but he has never ignored me. The cigars can also be so fresh when they arrive that it makes for an awesome exercise in seeing the cigars fresh from the table evolve. Worth a bundle to sit on for a few years to see them open up.

Anyone try the Shorts? I've read a few good things about those.

I've had a few O's in different sizes and ime the shorts have always been rolled on the tighter side sometimes even unsmokeably tight.

Hope others can chime in.