• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tmac77....Santos is not in Nicaragua and has never been there. The past year he was in and out of Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. Initially in a Best Western as a house roller and subsequently La Baca, in The

I will let you all decide but my two cents: 1. I have met John in person numerous times, fantastic dude 2. I have seen pics with John and Santos together in Cuba many times over the past 4 years sin

All I know is like any cigar, you have ones you love and ones you can take or leave. I can honestly say I think Johns cigars are some of the tastiest cigars around, no matter what kind of tobacco he s

Just received my package of belicosos, 1966, and sublimes. The aroma is amazing. The best aroma I have ever smelled of fresh tobacco. I'm going to light one up tomorrow and I'll report back. Pics to follow.

As promised.... u6ama2eh.jpg

Left to right: sublime, 1966, belicoso.

• Like 4

Just received my package of belicosos, 1966, and sublimes. The aroma is amazing. The best aroma I have ever smelled of fresh tobacco. I'm going to light one up tomorrow and I'll report back. Pics to follow.

As promised.... u6ama2eh.jpg

Left to right: sublime, 1966, belicoso.

Love the unfinished foot..

I got a chance to smoke a belicoso today. You can tell the cigar is fresh and very young. It hasn't developed any legs but that's to be expected. The flavor profile is very vegetal and earthy (fresh roll). Slight nuances of cocoa, dark unsweetened chocolate, and leather are present through the cigar. Hints of black pepper come and go. A sweet nuttiness quality is present along with hints of wood, although I can't say cedar. Towards the end a sweetness and cinnamon come forward. The construction was great. This cigar had about a half inch tear starting at the foot which I thought would throw off the entire burn. It didn't. A solid burn throughout. The ash held firm and was strong, not flaky. You can tell this is a young cigar, as expected. Although it hasn't hit it's sick phase yet, I feel the flavors aren't overwhelming, they are subtle. As has been told, I think a year of down time will do wonders for this cigar. Some of you may like young, fresh, cigars. They are good for a change of pace. If you can find one with age it will probably be a treat. My advice, be patient, do not expect to be knocked off your feet immediately with these. I'll revisit in a year. I think it has great potential.

• Like 3

I suggest contacting him for a sampler, great guy to deal with and you wont break the bank in buying a sampler

Bart™

So all this talk has me interested in trying them. Anyone with info on how to get in touch with Johnny O, please PM me. Thanks!

I agree with the aroma being unlike anything you normally come across. When I open up my bundles of J-O the aroma is just breathtaking.

I've also shied away from the world famous shaggy foot. I find that these have tons of construction issues for me, mostly being too plugged to draw through well. Others on different forums have commented the same. I am now sticking with his factory rolled ones and have much better luck with the draw.

This summer my oldest J-O turn two, I can't wait!

John is a nice and straight up kinda guy. I know there has been much debate as to whether he cigars are Cuban or not, I lean towards the side that believes they are. But is that really important? Cuban tobacco, or no Cuban tobacco, the cigars are a bargain so as long as you enjoy the smoke...that's all that matters.

I will also be the first to say that John's cigars can be inconsistent from batch to batch. As pointed out earlier, the quality of the tobacco he gets can vary. Some of the cigars I've had like John said, would have scored in the low 90s, others not so much. And I've had draw issues before as well, but only with the thinner rg cigars. the larger rg cigars have always been fine.

I've not had a Johnny-O with more than 3 years of age on it...I tend to smoke most of the cigars I get fresh, within a few months of purchase, or after a year or so. The cigars do change...age does take some of the edge off of them, but the profile is still quite similar.

My suggestion would be to give them a try. Pick up a sampler and judge for yourself.

I just picked up a sampler myself. The aroma on them is intense and definitely reminiscent of Cuban tobacco. I've went through enough NC's in my 6 years of smoking to tell the difference by now (or so I hope). Haven't lit one up yet due to the weather though. :(

Received a bundle of (25) Mag47s yesterday with the pigtail and shagfoot. Smoked one right out of the package and sent the remaining 24 to the deep freeze. I have to admit, this is the first bundle I have ever received that I wasn't quite sure about. The one I smoked was beautifully made.....smoked very well, but was waaaay young just having very subtle flavors. The whole bag of cigars did not have the barnyard aromas I have had in the past. Again, maybe just too fresh. After the freezing period, these will be packed into an empty Fuente 858 box and closed up for 365 days. We'll see what happens to them then.......

I have 2 others bundles, Corona Gordas and Robusto Extras, that are in the sick zone and I have aging right now. There was no doubt to me when I received these as the barnyard hit me before I go them out of the packing. Smoked a couple of each before they were frozen and then packed into 858 boxes and was very impressed.

All the talk above made me order a bundle of 1966s too......those should be here any day.

I have some lanceros that were from some famouse roller(can't remember who) they are 3or4 years old. They are good ,no plugs or wind tunnels. One the other hand the behike from 2010 are gems. Mouth coating goodness!

As stated before the colebras are great..

Great guy. Good smokes. I've tried probably five vitolas, maybe more and have enjoyed some, thought some were ok, and have experienced the sick period more than once which was atrocious. I've also tried the different varieties offered I.e. wf, natural, etc. Worth a try since they arent to expensive.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I cant cope any longer guys. All this talk and my Cigar Acquisition Disorder has flared right up. Can anyone PM me how I get hold of some of Johnny's sticks?

Thankyou in advance for any help.

Tom

PM sent Tom. I've bought about three batches from him over past six months. Partial to the flying Pigs so far.

When you get a fresh batch in and you want to fire one up, be sure to dry box it (or however many you want to smoke before aging) a couple of days. They are usually on the moist side when the package arrives. This is one thing I forgot to do when the Mag47s arrived. I received my bundle of 1966 on Friday and am dry boxing one right now and will smoke it later today.

Smoking a fresh Johnny-O 1966 now after 2 days of sitting in a dry box.

Wow! This thing is smoking beautifully with tons of smoke, spice and wonderful aromas. I can see these being very nice in a year. I wish I would have dry boxed a few more as the other 24 are in the deep freeze..... sneaky.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ok now I'm interested. I just read through this thread and I'd like to give these a try. Could someone please pm me contact info or where to grab a few, the gesture will be appreciated.

I've purchased a bundle of belicosos and robustos with the shag foot rolled by Santos in the last 3-4 weeks plus a sampler of 7 Robusto Extra 6 Short Rodolfo 6 True Story and 6 Flying Pig. I couldn't be happier. Now they are resting for the minimum year. No doubt they will be great smokes.