... not sure if these are farmed organic or what, but they sure don't put the insane levels of pesticides on that HSA does...

HSA doesn't put pesticides on any farmer's plants. The farmer might if he's having insect problems.

I've never seen a farmer grow a separate field, or section of a field, of tobacco for his own use to be kept separate from the tobacco he sells.

I can't think of a reason a farmer would go through the effort to grow it separately.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tmac77....Santos is not in Nicaragua and has never been there. The past year he was in and out of Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. Initially in a Best Western as a house roller and subsequently La Baca, in The

I will let you all decide but my two cents: 1. I have met John in person numerous times, fantastic dude 2. I have seen pics with John and Santos together in Cuba many times over the past 4 years sin

All I know is like any cigar, you have ones you love and ones you can take or leave. I can honestly say I think Johns cigars are some of the tastiest cigars around, no matter what kind of tobacco he s

My take: They are Cuban farmies. The tobacco was grown in Cuba, but these are not the corporate HSA plants, so you'll have the uniqueness of varietal and terroir shine through a lot more.

Never heard about "corporate HSA plants". To begin with, HSA has nothing to do with agriculture. HSA markets finished products.

Never heard about "corporate HSA plants". To begin with, HSA has nothing to do with agriculture. HSA markets finished products.

^^^ This

Cuban tobacco farms are one of the few privatised enterprises. The farms are, of course, required to sell all the tobacco to Cubatabaco.

HSA is not involved with the manufacture of cigars. They are only involved in the marketing, promotion and distribution

^ What I meant was HSA uses specific farmers, and that those farmers most likely only sell product to Cubatabaco.

I'm guessing JO's tobacco, however, comes from private farmers who sell to him regularly (based on the fact that his product seems pretty consistent from year to year). That's all I meant by "HSA plants" vs plants from private farms. A different farm in a different region can make a world of difference in the product, as we all know.

So after reviewing the vitola names, I've got to ask - are these knockoffs? For example, do the 1966s taste similar to Cohiba 1966s, the Mag47s taste similar to H Up Mags, and do the snozberries taste like snozberries?

^ What I meant was HSA uses specific farmers, and that those farmers most likely only sell product to Cubatabaco.

I'm guessing JO's tobacco, however, comes from private farmers who sell to him regularly (based on the fact that his product seems pretty consistent from year to year). That's all I meant by "HSA plants" vs plants from private farms. A different farm in a different region can make a world of difference in the product, as we all know.

HSA doesn't use any farmers. They have no say in the production of cigars. To the best of my knowledge all farmers are required to sell to Cubatobaco

So after reviewing the vitola names, I've got to ask - are these knockoffs? For example, do the 1966s taste similar to Cohiba 1966s, the Mag47s taste similar to H Up Mags, and do the snozberries taste like snozberries?

No, it's a vitola comparison.

The mag47s are a similar size as the Uppman Mag46's.

The 1966's are the same size as the Cohiba 1966's, ect

No, it's a vitola comparison.

The mag47s are a similar size as the Uppman Mag46's.

The 1966's are the same size as the Cohiba 1966's, ect

So they're their own flavor profile? I know I've heard that the blends for each vitola tend to be different from each other, which is what made me think "knockoffs"

I've been told that when named, they are the rollers own take on that cigar. So influenced or an homage to the original.

HSA doesn't use any farmers. They have no say in the production of cigars. To the best of my knowledge all farmers are required to sell to Cubatobaco

All farmers are "required" to sell to the state, true. But some sell to private parties, which is where we get a lot of farmies. I'm guessing JO doesn't buy his tobacco from Cubatobaco, because they most likely would not sell to him. So if he's getting it from Cuba, it's via private purchases, and I'm guessing it's from the same farm(s) since the product is pretty consistent.

All farmers are "required" to sell to the state, true. But some sell to private parties, which is where we get a lot of farmies. I'm guessing JO doesn't buy his tobacco from Cubatobaco, because they most likely would not sell to him. So if he's getting it from Cuba, it's via private purchases, and I'm guessing it's from the same farm(s) since the product is pretty consistent.

From touring a couple of farms last year. This is my understanding. Farmers are required to sell to Cubatobaco/"The State" first and foremost. Cubatobaco doesn't always buy everything the farmer produces. Depending on the quality, etc. "Leftover" tobacco exists. If someone knows better, please clear this up. I don't want my interpretation of what I heard to be authoritative knowledge on the matter.

From touring a couple of farms last year. This is my understanding. Farmers are required to sell to Cubatobaco/"The State" first and foremost. Cubatobaco doesn't always buy everything the farmer produces. Depending on the quality, etc. "Leftover" tobacco exists. If someone knows better, please clear this up. I don't want my interpretation of what I heard to be authoritative knowledge on the matter.

i heard the same from the farms i went to this year. they sell 80% - 90% of the harvest to cubatobaco. depending on quality of course. they can keep around 10%, or whats left behind, for private use.

• Like 1

... I'm guessing JO doesn't buy his tobacco from Cubatobaco, because they most likely would not sell to him. So if he's getting it from Cuba, it's via private purchases,

But then, what about the JO's cigars that are rolled by a certain roller in the __________ factory?

I have no evidence to put on the table but I would bet that the tobacco is bought "inside" the Tabacuba circuit…

Edited by bundwallah
Edited out the factory name. That detail is best left out. The point is still valid without it.

No matter which ones of his you buy the tobacco is fully processed. They are going to be much fresher than the factory which can sit for a while before shipping. I've bought cigars from him which were rolled less than one week before purchase. There is a rumor out there some of his come from rolling school sneaky.gif Either way, they have been sought after for decades and I stock up whenever possible.

• 1 month later...

No, of course not. From my limited experience they taste like Nicaraguan tobacco.

Just smoked a Mag47. Never had one before and aroma and flavor screamed Nicaraguan. It was very good, however - more cream than you would find in a Nicaraguan and some flavor development, too.

I have tried JO's in the past and again more recently. older ones that I have tried were much better than recent versions of which the last one i tried was tossed.

I have tried JO's in the past and again more recently. older ones that I have tried were much better than recent versions of which the last one i tried was tossed.I wonder if this might be down to the fact that Santos is no longer in Cuba but living in Nicaragua at the moment and has not rolled cigars in cuba for some time now.

Is that 100% accurate? If so sounds like his 'world famous' are now NC's. To your knowledge when did he move?

I've got a few other vitolas to try... they smell much more "Cuban barnyard" that the Mags do. With the plethora of variety, I would guess that these are sourced several different places.

Good tobacco is good tobacco... I'm just surprised at how much mystique surrounds these smokes for how long they've been available - the provenance of other custom rolled smokes is usually much better known.

• 1 month later...