• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

tmac77....Santos is not in Nicaragua and has never been there. The past year he was in and out of Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. Initially in a Best Western as a house roller and subsequently La Baca, in The

I will let you all decide but my two cents: 1. I have met John in person numerous times, fantastic dude 2. I have seen pics with John and Santos together in Cuba many times over the past 4 years sin

All I know is like any cigar, you have ones you love and ones you can take or leave. I can honestly say I think Johns cigars are some of the tastiest cigars around, no matter what kind of tobacco he s

+1 to JO. Been smoking his for well over a dozen years.

Rarely disappointed though timing is everything with these.....

• Like 1

+1 to JO. Been smoking his for well over a dozen years.

Rarely disappointed though timing is everything with these.....

Ditto-

Really love them fresh once they're not quite as wet when they originally ship out the best IMO.

+1 for JO too. love his stuff.

i have also heard, directly from alejandro the new roller of the comodor, that santos was going back and forth to malaysia.

i may have posted this some time ago. hope that he is doing well.

tmac77....Santos is not in Nicaragua and has never been there. The past year he was in and out of Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. Initially in a Best Western as a house roller and subsequently La Baca, in The Pavillion performing the same duties. Due to the unfortunate deaths of two younger brothers and other factors he has returned to Cuba to take care of his 90+ year old mother. If you are concerned about my integrity checkout Cigarpass, Cigarfamily, or Onlinehumidor and you can openly discuss your same feelings there. You might also want to check out Kingantz reviews at Cigarpass of my cigars he has done over the years(beautiful pics BTW). Theres also some videos on YouTube...Brandon Luna of Cigar Blitz comes to mind. There's also a long running thread at Cigar.com (Johnny O thread) that might convince you that you really don't know what you are talking about. If I remember correctly, Rob has asked you naysayers that have this obsession to openly discuss these type of sources to use your heads... Something about messing with peoples livelyhoods for those involved. Enjoy the read. John

Johnny O, I was simply stating my opinion of the cigars and not being intentionally malicious in any way. Sorry if you interpreted it in that manner. As for Santos location, while in Cuba in May I must have been provided with bad information by normally very reliable sources who informed me that he was in Nicaragua working on blending cigars for a manufacturer there. I apologize for passing on this misinformation. I will definitely take my sources in Cuba to task about this and put them right.

tmac77...The past year he was in and out of Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. Initially in a Best Western as a house roller and subsequently La Baca, in The Pavillion performing the same duties...

I didn't know that. Sorry to hear about his circumstances.

I have spent enjoyable time on the phone with John. His knowledge of Cuba/Tobacco/Cigars is second to none. He has a deep and close association with Cuba as those who have known him over a long period of time can attest.

In the end blending cigars is not easy. It really comes from the soul ...you should blend a cigar that you would enjoy smoking..be proud to sell/share. Johnny has been doing it since the 90's, love them, hate them, indifferent to them...no problems.

Keep up the good work Johnny. inject a little bit of yourself in everything you produce. Let the learning process never stop and the passion never wane.

couldn't have said it better

JYO on the forum generously provided me with some Shaggies by Johnny O and they turned out quite good. The Cazadores I think are excellent.

I also like Ravi's Customs a whole lot = they really ought to be tried.

Perhaps Ayala Customs will turn up soon.

Smoking a President with my wife now and it's wonderful! I've been dealing with John for a few years now and I have a standing order with him. To be honest I think his stock is more consistent than much of the standard Habanos product.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Always seems to be a question on provenance with Johnny's stuff. Unless they were imported, they must be Island grown/rolled.

I came home with some from Havanafest......

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

In the middle of this thread (and back in 2014), I spoke of ordering a bundle of Johnny's 1966 sized cigars with the shag foot.  I smoked and enjoyed a few fresh cigars back then and let remaining cigars rest.......until today!  These have been aging in a cedar box in the bottom of one of my coolerdors and pretty much forgotten about until I did some rearranging over the weekend.  Coolerdors can be like opening Christmas presents sometimes.... :)

Wrapper was silky and had a nice sheen to it. Cigar was firm, but not dry at all.  Cold draw was excellent and had a nice musky spice.  Lit the shag foot and the first inch or so was good but somewhat uneventful.  As I hit the first third, the cigar opened up more with loads of smoke and good leather and peppery flavors.  Nose aroma was strong.   A little bit of an uneven burn in the middle and toward the end, it kept going out (tar build up I'm guessing).  I'm thinking the cigar might have been a little over humidified - the cooler stays at about 68-70%.  I'm going to dry box one of these for 2-3 days as I bet that will help the burn.  Overall - it a  very good and tasting cigar.   I can see these holding on to their flavors for several more years. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Acclaym said:

First post but...holy mother of zombe threads...

BTW thanks,  I have ten 1966 hanging out in my coolidor. Good news! 

Don't forget to stop by the New Members page and introduce yourself

• 3 months later...

My shipments have been excellent.

last three have been good very quickly, and may not make it to a year old.

good cigars at good prices,,.......;)

3 hours ago, garbandz said:

My shipments have been excellent.

last three have been good very quickly, and may not make it to a year old.

good cigars at good prices,,.......;)

Can I ask which ones you tried?  I have tried the carona extra, the shorts and lanceros.  Wondering which ones I should try next.

Had a JO a couple weeks ago which is now 4-5 years old. Awesome from start to finish. Have smoked a dozen or so over the years. Always good except the "sick" period as has been discussed.

Great guy to deal with...great prices too. Def worth it IMHO. Easily found on OLH