A nice quote

After a difficult night with our 3 month old son refusing to sleep and screaming like a banshee, I decided to forego some sleep to enjoy a glass of wine (marsanne) and a cigar (R&J cazadores) on the balcony.

Reading Davidoff's The Connoisseur's Book of the Cigar, I came upon a lovely quote that I'm sure many of you have read before...

"The cigar is a great resource. It is necessary to have traveled for a long time on a ship to understand that at least the cigar affords you the pleasure of smoking. It raises your spirits. Are you troubled by something? The cigar dissolves it. Are you subject to aches and pains (or bad temper)? The cigar will change your disposition. Are you harassed by unpleasant thoughts? Smoking a cigar puts one in a frame of mind to dispense with these. Do you ever feel a little faint from hunger? A cigar satisfies the yearning. If you are obsessed by sad thoughts, a cigar will take your mind off of them. Finally, don’t you sometimes have some unpleasant remembrance or consoling thought? A cigar will reinforce this. Sometimes they die out, and happy are those who do not need to relight too quickly. I hardly need to say anything more about the cigar, to which I dedicate this little eulogy for past services rendered".

Duc de la Rochefoucauld-Liancourt, circa 1794

I'm sure it is even more poetic in French. :)

Very nice quote- thanks for sharing that. What was true for cigar smokers some 220 years ago is still true for us today. Amazing.

All the points made are very true. Thank you for quoting it.

Though he forgot to mention that in return for all that they empty our wallets! ;)

Thanks for sharing. Hope you got some sleep in the end - I have this all to look forwards to with my first child due in around 3 months time!

Thanks, we did in the end!

Good luck with your little one. It's all worth it when you see that little smiling face!