Cigars & Health.

That's actually good news. All the reliable studies that the looked at said there was no correlation (unless you inhale) between the various types of cancer and cigars. The few that did had a reliability rating of "poor".

From the article:

The relative risk values are the relative risk of occurrence of a certain disease compared to the general non-smoking population (which is considered a standard of "1"). It should be emphasized that the National Cancer Institute states that a "relative risk of less than 2 are considered small and are usually difficult to interpret." The NCI report then is encouraging to the moderate cigar smoker. According to the NCI the relative risk ratios of death are all less than 2 for smokers limiting cigar consumption from 1 to 2 a day for: 1) all causes of death, 2) lung cancer, 3) pancreatic cancer, 4) emphysema, and 5) coronary artery disease. Cancers of the oral cavity and larynx have higher risk ratios but are intimately associated with heavy alcohol use.

So... how many people actually smoke more than 1-2 cigars per day? Sure... I may smoke 3 on a Saturday or Sunday, but on some days I don't smoke any at all. I bet I average no more than 1 per day for the year.

So... unless you're smoking cigars like a chinmey, no worries then?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Statistically speaking, 50% of statistics are made up.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.

Live it to the fullest, you get one time around. Indulge, enjoy, make mistakes. Whatever you do, don't leave this world a boring, healthy man.

-Karl

It always depence who is doing the study and who is paying for it.Everything in moderation is good and everything in excess is not so good.What works for one might not work for another.

I don't care too much either way. I know they're not good for me, nor are they going to immediately kill me either. I'll worry about the other million life- and work-related dangers that I have to deal with now. Cigars are an enjoyment, and help make life satisfying, for those little moments of time that you get to take it all in.

What's the use of being 100% healthy if you're not 100% happy???

This study is based on the assumption that GREATER than 5 cigars are smoked AND inhaled per day....really?!?!?!

Who in the world smokes 5 cigars per day AND inhales???????

...mmmm, maybe El Presidente` :jester:

Statistically speaking, 50% of statistics are made up.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.

Live it to the fullest, you get one time around. Indulge, enjoy, make mistakes. Whatever you do, don't leave this world a boring, healthy man.

-Karl

Karl, I'm down.

I'm not going to tiptoe around my entire life hoping to add a few years on at the end. If I could add a few years on to my middle years, cool, but I don't need to prolong the amount of time someone will be changing my diaper and rolling me over so I don't get bed sores. There are so many variables and genetic contributors to point at any one thing, or combination of things, that kills us, so I'm certainly not going to give up the vices that make me happy now so I can enjoy the aforementioned "goodies" and "surprises". Am I stupid about the way I lead my life? No, but I'm also not fanatical about measuring fat, alcohol, proximity to firearms, or fast cars (fast women are no longer on the table for me). Your mileage may vary. :whistle:

Focker, out! :hole::rotfl:

i think i'll continue to smoke what i like to smoke, drink what i like to drink, and live my life the way i want. i mean seriously, do you really want to live to the age where you crap your pants and didnt even know it? :jester:

:gangup:

Granted I have yet to read the article fully, but what do they consider a "cigar"? If they assumed a Purritos sized cigar, then one who smokes three or more Robusto sized cigars would be smoking many times that in their definition of cigar. Interesting to find out.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631743,-87.070640

Good article, thanks for sharing.

I feel like some others have said. Look, if you're going to get cancer... you're going to get cancer. Ones gene will be predisposed to cancer more than others. So if its not lung or mouth cancer, it'll be something else. Hard to "disprove", as the evidence is individual and can't be retested :thinking:

Moderation is the name of the game. If you overdo ANY activity it can cause death or serious illness / injury. What's worse, smoking 3 cigars a day or 3 cokes a day? The coke will rot your gut, teeth, and bones away, not to mention all the other organs involved. Some peoples body can handle it, others cant.

Lesson to all this, enjoy however you decide to live life and you'll not regret how it ends :cigar:

I guess I should actually read this article since I posted it. :lol: I agree with a lot of you guys. My focus is on quality of life not quantity. I want to enjoy what it has to offer. Not make it to some arbirtray number just for the sake of if. I do find that these studies might be helpful for those wiling to lobby for cigar rights since most studies are on cigarettes which are completely different beasts. Smoke 'em if you got 'em folks. :cigar:

The Anti-Smoking lobby isn't interested in the truth. They would bury the study criteria (5+ cigars a day inhaled) in thousands of words of nonsense before they admit any tobacco product may not kill you if you happen to breath in second hand smoke from 100 feet away . . .

With that said Frank is right, we need to make a much better distinction between cigars and cigarettes. And hopefully with studies that aren't 10 years old!!!

What's the use of being 100% healthy if you're not 100% happy???

Agree with this 100%

Knew a guy at work years ago, he was about 20 yrs older and 150 pounds heaver than me.

Was a gourmet cook which led to his weight and heart issues.

Had a mild heart attack, doctor told him to cut out all the rich foods he would cook.

Told the doctor if he couldn't eat what he enjoyed there was no satisfaction in living.

Kept eating that rich food, died a few years later of a heart attack.

Moral of the story, do you want to live a long and unhappy life or enjoy your time as best as you can.

It's an important choice we all make.