smoked a non-cuban

Just got back from the local cigar bar and thought I'd share my thoughts on a stick a friend gave me to spark up. It was a non-Cuban so right off the bat I was very skeptical because thus far I have yet to try any non-Cuban that compares. So, the cigar in question was a Gurkha Titan. To be completely honest the first 1/6 inch of the stick tasted like the Allones Extra but it all went downhill from there. First third was tea. Second third was tea again. Last third was a little less tea and a little chalky chocolate. Overall I found it a bit boring as it didn't go anywhere. If I were to use an analogy it would be like driving a race car on a fun course with the cruise control on. I kept wanting to downshift and punch it coming out of the turns but the car just wouldn't do it. With all that being said I will say I think it was the best non-Cuban I have ever had but my experience with them is limited. I think I'll be sticking with my Cubans!

• Thanks 1

Just to clarify; what you're saying is you don't want to trade for my box of Macanudos...

Definitely not :rotfl: Actually I was just able to unload my box of Rocky Patel's last night.

That's like saying you had Johnny Walker, and was expecting fantastic scotch that is made for an experienced scotch enthusiast.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never had JW Blue Label or JW Blue Label King George V. Amirite?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Why pay over $200 a bottle for that stuff when you can get a good single malt for 50-60

Because it's a matter of taste, I suppose. Obviously a subjective thing, but generally speaking I've found that when it comes to booze, more often than not you do get what you pay for. That's not the say that there aren't crap bottles at all price points, but generally speaking I think that holds up. Sure, you don't need to spend $1500 on bottle of Louis XIII in order to get a good cognac or brandy that pairs well with your cigars, but there's also very little else (IMO) that compares to it. Same is true with cigars. Do you have to spend $40 on a stick to get a good smoke? No. Are all $40 sticks worth it? No. But if you got yourself, say, a BHK 54 would you think it was worth it? Probably. At least based upon the general consensus on these forums. Is there anything else that taste like a BHK? No, not really.

The point of my previous post wasn't to judge the price/value of a particular scotch, but rather to point out that some of the high end JW bottles are actually rather good, which is contrary to JT's sentiment. (Again, going back to the notion that you get what you pay for more often than not when it comes to booze.)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

That's like saying you had Johnny Walker, and was expecting fantastic scotch that is made for an experienced scotch enthusiast.

I really do not appreciate this personal attack on me! :tantrum::wink2:

But you might have been talking about the knock-off "Johnny"

A couple of weeks ago, I got talked into a Padron 1964, against my better judgement smoked it, and hated evey second of it, tossed it halfway through, and I had the taste in m mouth for days.

It was my first NC in probably 8 months, and I regret it.

• Like 1

Ah, the non Cuban cigar its what started me in cigars, as I live in welll Oz. The best description I can give is that there are over 1500 varieties (which staggers the imagination). Each brand has their own so called blend and great marketing to differentiate them from one another. The only thing they have in common is, after you smoke one, it tastes like some one wipped their bare feet on your tongue. To all my brothers and sisters of the leaf, stick with Cubans and give the non to your annoying friends and relatives.

I have a phrase with many buddies who receive monthly NC cigar pckages for each month (a random 10 count per month) and that is "damn you just got gurkhed" whenever they put that trash in there.... It's like taking money and just burning it senselessly... IMO that company is the dirtiest trash of the trash. Complete b.s. catchy marketing/ advertising/ packaging scam that lures in such high profits from insanely overpriced sticks and more new "limited editions" than are days of the week. Such a joke... I'd rather have a cigarette than a Gurkha

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that the NC's I have smoked lately have been better than the CC's I have had lately. I am relatively new to both NC's and CC's, but so far I have had better NC's than cubans. Give me some time though and I'm sure I will start to lean toward the CC side. I have no doubts. :)

• Like 2

A couple of weeks ago, I got talked into a Padron 1964, against my better judgement smoked it, and hated evey second of it,

You are breaking my heart. Padron is pretty much the only NC I smoke anymore. Well, also the ocassional Oliva.

Stick to your guns! Don’t fall into this pretentious crap of “if it’s not from Cuba it’s no good” – Yes many people prefer Cuban cigars and that’s fine but trust your own judgement and develop your taste. I’ve smoked cigars since 1981 and most of the cigars I smoke are Cuban but I have found that I like some non-Cubans too.

Great advice.

I prefer to bust a cap in their @$$ - yes lame joke...

seriously though, i smoked both and prefer Cubans. Saying that i wouldn't pass up on a Fuente/Camacho/Ashton or any other dozen brands of NC. Like drinking good scotch whisky... the number 1 rule is, if you like it then its good.

• 9 years later...
On 3/14/2012 at 11:06 AM, ptrthgr8 said:

Because it's a matter of taste, I suppose. Obviously a subjective thing, but generally speaking I've found that when it comes to booze, more often than not you do get what you pay for. That's not the say that there aren't crap bottles at all price points, but generally speaking I think that holds up. Sure, you don't need to spend $1500 on bottle of Louis XIII in order to get a good cognac or brandy that pairs well with your cigars, but there's also very little else (IMO) that compares to it. Same is true with cigars. Do you have to spend $40 on a stick to get a good smoke? No. Are all $40 sticks worth it? No. But if you got yourself, say, a BHK 54 would you think it was worth it? Probably. At least based upon the general consensus on these forums. Is there anything else that taste like a BHK? No, not really.

The point of my previous post wasn't to judge the price/value of a particular scotch, but rather to point out that some of the high end JW bottles are actually rather good, which is contrary to JT's sentiment. (Again, going back to the notion that you get what you pay for more often than not when it comes to booze.)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

While i'd agree Johnny Blue (and green for that matter) are thoroughly enjoyable, I do think the high cost of Johnny Blue makes it punch way below its weight class. For $200, I could probably list 50 bottles I'd rather have than JB (Glendronach 18 & Macallan No. 4 to name a few in that general direction) . But if someone poured me a glass, i would love every sip of it. Makes it a great gift. Something I probably wouldn't buy for myself because I just don't think it's value is there, but would love to receive it!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2012 at 9:18 AM, brazoseagle said:

A couple of weeks ago, I got talked into a Padron 1964, against my better judgement smoked it, and hated evey second of it, tossed it halfway through, and I had the taste in m mouth for days.

This is my experience every time I smoke any NC as well. 

On 3/15/2012 at 3:18 AM, brazoseagle said:

I love the 1964’s.  I smoke the Superior’s and my inability to get them is what led me to Cuban’s. To each their own, I guess   

each their own. 

6 hours ago, jonahs_whale said:

While i'd agree Johnny Blue (and green for that matter) are thoroughly enjoyable, I do think the high cost of Johnny Blue makes it punch way below its weight class. For $200, I could probably list 50 bottles I'd rather have than JB (Glendronach 18 & Macallan No. 4 to name a few in that general direction) . But if someone poured me a glass, i would love every sip of it. Makes it a great gift. Something I probably wouldn't buy for myself because I just don't think it's value is there, but would love to receive it!

When Blue Label had a cask strength offering, it was tasty.  I don’t like the current bottling.  

I love My Cuban puros but man do I love some of the Nic/Dom cigars being produced right now. I say stick with brands that are producing cigars that have complexity, balance, great construction and a clean aftertaste. I agree that most NC cigars leave an ashtray after taste and lack depth. But some of the brands that I regularly smoke such as Illusione, Tatuaje, My Father, Davidoff, EPC ,Paul Garmirian and Warped are up there with some of my favorite cubans and they almost always deliver a clean finish on the palate. 

• Like 1