smoked a non-cuban

On 3/13/2012 at 10:52 PM, IcedCanuck said:

Gurkha Titan.

Those are truly awful cigars imho and are not a fair representation of NCs.

I smoke mostly Cubans these days.

But--if you want to give NCs a fair shake Foundation is making quality smokes.   (Highclere Victorian and Tabernacle Havana Seed #142 are two examples).

HVC,  Warped and Illusiones (especially the Epernay series) are worth sampling to see if they fit your palate.

Because NCs tend to be a bit "in your face" and strong I prefer to give them some down-time--an extra year or so of rest suits my taste.       

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WLC said:

I started on non cuban cigars but now when I smoke one I realize why I like Cubans so much.

Same here. I still have one humi left with NC's. I mostly hand them out to friends still on the NC train. They like them. Every now and then I'll fire up a NC for nostalgia, MAYBE get thru the first 3rd, then chuck it and light up a real cigar.

• Like 2

I'm in the UK so prices between NC and CC are very subtle and frankly, some NCs are even more expensive than CCs. My collection is 60/40 CC weighted although there is something sublime about a Padron 1926/64, Fuente Fuente Opus X, Ashton ESG/VSG, Davidoff (some blends) and EP Carrillo Pledge cigars. It's, of course, hugely subjective and down to taste but I find that the very best of the NCs rival the very best of the CCs.

Would I take a BHK over a Padron 1926 - no. But that's down to the price-to-value ratio... I definitely favour CCs but there are NC blends that captivate me.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, Cairo said:

Those are truly awful cigars imho and are not a fair representation of NCs.

I smoke mostly Cubans these days.

But--if you want to give NCs a fair shake Foundation is making quality smokes.   (Highclere Victorian and Tabernacle Havana Seed #142 are two examples).

HVC,  Warped and Illusiones (especially the Epernay series) are worth sampling to see if they fit your palate.

Because NCs tend to be a bit "in your face" and strong I prefer to give them some down-time--an extra year or so of rest suits my taste.       

This is kind of me today as well. MUCH prefer the flavor & complexity that can found in CCs, but I do like to mix in Illusiones Epernays, Aladino Corojo, Leaf By Oscar Corojo, Mil Dias, and Crux du Connoisseur series. I also have a hoarding tendency with my CCs, so mixing in some relatively complex & consistently high quality constructed NCs can scratch the tobacco itch on a regular basis.