Drive

Puros Y Vino

We just saw Drive a few days ago. I wasn't expecting much but it was an excellent movie. Ryan Gosling has a near silent role in the movie. The best way to describe this movie is Blue Valentine meets The Godfather. And when things get violent, watch out. Keep a barf bag close by. No sensationalized violence with explosions, gun battles, etc. This has raw, dirty, messy, soul killing acts of violence. Very stylish and entertaining. Gosling gets better with every movie. This one is going to go down as his "Taxi Driver"

This is one of my favorite recent films! (Along with Blue Valentine.) If I had to label it I would call it a western.

This is one of my favorite recent films! (Along with Blue Valentine.) If I had to label it I would call it a western.

Interesting, I can see your point on that. Having only seen the trailer and reviews I have hesitated to see the movie because of the violence, but it is a movie I think I would love. Is it really necessary for the story that there is this level of graphic violence?

Interesting, I can see your point on that. Having only seen the trailer and reviews I have hesitated to see the movie because of the violence, but it is a movie I think I would love. Is it really necessary for the story that there is this level of graphic violence?

It's not horror movie style violence. It is graphic but cut in a way to spare you the full on details. You're left with the impression that what just went on was really bad. Otherwise it is a slick movie.

It's not horror movie style violence. It is graphic but cut in a way to spare you the full on details. You're left with the impression that what just went on was really bad. Otherwise it is a slick movie.

Thanks! I can live with that. It's just out on DVD/Bluray here so I will grab one for a night in.

Good movie... a little predictable though.

I remember reading an article about someone demanding their money back because for a movie called "Drive" there wasn't much driving. :smartass:

I see this as a noir with some early 80s flair. I think plot was secondary to mood and nuance.

Just my film-school reject thoughts

That's the way it was thought of over here, a moody and atmospheric, highly stylised film.

Not much to do with plot.

I see this as a noir with some early 80s flair. I think plot was secondary to mood and nuance.

Just my film-school reject thoughts

Not to mention a great score and soundtrack... However, to me, the story makes the movie and the plot has been recycled so many times before. I also don't feel like Ryan Gosling brought anything new to this role. It is just a mix bag from his other roles. Still, it's a good movie, but it could have been great!

I agree, this was a great film. Watched it on the way back home from China. Even though Gosling hardly spoke in the film his screen presence is really impressive. I was also really impressed with Albert Brooks performance. Don't see him playing the mean guy too often, but he does it very well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...