Opus X Perfecxion X - Review

I have to admit that top tier hyped non Cuban cigars still interest me even though I have been less than impressed in recent years. Tatuaje, Illusione, Zino, Davidoff, Drew Estate etc. have never been that good in my opinion. But the one NC I had never bought were Opus X due to their scarcity and double or even triple MSRP price tage ($11 cigar for $25-$30). However, a good BOTL from FOH turned me onto a place that sells Opus X for just a dollar or two above MSRP so I bought five Opus X Perfecxion X cigars because that was all they had left from their annual shipment. This cigar doesn't seem to be as hyped as the other Opus X and reviews are few and far between.

The cigars come attractively presented wrapped in a thin cedar sleeve and red ribbon at the foot. When they came in I unwrapped them because I didn't want them to continue to absorb the cedar during aging because that is not my favorite flavor, so the pictures are without the packaging.

First impressions were that these sticks were expertly wrapped with beautiful dark claro wrappers that look like a really nice Cohiba or Upmann. They smell of barnyard at the foot and a few seem to have more darker ligero than others, but overall they are all almost identical. Very firm to the touch, so I was wondering if the draw would be firm.

The band is certainly something to behold. Some think it's overkill, but in person it is truly a work of art.

img20120317203845.jpg

img20120317203922.jpg

The cigar lit easily and the draw I found was on the firmer side, but much more pleasing than a lose draw found on a lot of current Cuban EL's. The first 1/2-1 inch started out medium bodied and throughout the first third the flavors were perfectly balanced between sweet cedar, white pepper and leather. The tobacco is obviously top quality and I was very impressed with the first third of the cigar. The burn was a bit off, but it was a windy night yesterday. 93 points

img20120317203655.jpg

img20120317205230.jpg

Into the second third and the cigar is holding the initial flavors of sweet cedar, leather and white pepper. However, the flavors have become more intense without becoming spicy and I wrote down "this is the most Cuban like NC I have ever smoked." I underlined that note because to this point if someone had handed me this without a band I would have guessed it was a really good H. Upmann of some kind. Towards the end of the second third the spice started to kick up in intensity with the addition of a red pepper flake flavor on top of white pepper. I wouldn't classify it as "spicy" but it made my lips tingle a bit. I also noted at this point that the amount of smoke coming from this cigar from the beginning has been copious to say the least -- thick, creamy and it hangs in the air fighting the wind that is trying to carry it away. 93 points

img20120317210729.jpg

Into the final third of this exceptionally good cigar I start to feel the nicotine to the point my cheeks are a bit numb. I have heard and read that Opus X cigars have made even the most experienced smokers sick from the shear amount of nicotine they contain, but luckily I ate a big steak and potato dinner beforehand, so I was safe.

Throughout the final third of the cigar the sweet cedar flavor starts to be replaced by a clean robust tobacco accompanied by the same white pepper/red pepper flake spice and leather. The cigar becomes opulently smooth with a buttery cream texture. I really loved the final third because it was the perfect way to round out a fantastic smoking experience. 94 points

img20120317213502.jpg

I was so impressed with this Opus X Perfecxion X cigar. The transitions were obvious and the flavors were so distinct. It was the perfect mix of flavor, power and finesse in a cigar. I would be happy to stock my NC humidor with nothing but this cigar and not think twice. I highly recommend picking up a few to try. Cheers!

img20120317213928.jpg

Aaron thanks for the review man! The review was so good it almost made me want an OpusX. For me this line has always been underwhelming. Admittedly I haven't smoked one for probably 10 years. If you remind me the next time you are down this way I have a few that OpusX that have been aging for about 10 years or so, I'd happily pass them along so you could compare to the new production. For my part I think I'll stick with my beloved Habanos.

I rarely smoke NC's anymore. I loved this cigar no matter it's origin. It was different than a Cuban, but the point I was trying to make is that if tasted blind I would have guessed Cuban. I was a very unique and interesting cigar.

'Don't really care for the Fuente Fuente Opus X's and I've tried them many times through the years just to be sure. For NC's Padrons and brown band Tatuaje's "do it" for me more.

Fuente makes some of the only NC cigars still holding my interest as well. In fact, most of the cigars Fuente makes are worthwhile IMO. The Opus X, as well as a few other high end Fuentes are certainly among my favorite cigars.

The PerfecXion X is a great size, and certainly a long smoke. The PerfecXion No. 4, the 5 3/16x43 is my personal favorite though, and one that I enjoy regularly. As good as they are young, they get infinitely better between 3 and 5 years later.

Nothing compares to the Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario for me though.

Nice review! Opus are great, no mistake. If you like it this much fresh, you HAVE to age the ones you have left! Much better after a year, and after 3-years they are much better yet, and after 5-years they one of the best cigars you can buy, imvho.

I have been a NC kick lately. I try to buy a smoke most times at my B&M even though I bring my own cubans in, just out of respect for using someones lounge. Fuente has been putting out great stuff. The Don Carlos, hemingway and 8-5-8 have been phenominal lately for me and cant seem to buy anything else

Any Opus X with a few years on it is an absolutely spectacular smoke. Too heavy for me right out of the gate, but I've had a few that have been sitting in the humi for over 3 years and they were absolute bombshells. Great review!

Great review! I think you will find Anejos to be preferable over the Opus, as I have. The Opus tends to be very harsh and strong when smoked young; with 5yrs or so of aging, they are completely different. However, the Petit Lancero vitola seems to be a different breed and is phenomenal without any aging.

Try the Anejo 55 or the 858 maduro with some age, I think they are great NC alternatives made by Fuente.

I rarely smoke NC's anymore. I loved this cigar no matter it's origin. It was different than a Cuban, but the point I was trying to make is that if tasted blind I would have guessed Cuban. I was a very unique and interesting cigar.

So it had cubanesque properties and you enjoyed it in other words right?

My god is that band vulgar btw.

Good review.

So far I've only smoked 1 Perfection X and found it an enjoyable smoke as well. Yesterday I had an Anejo Reserva No. 48 that had an interesting smooth-sweet flavour that was quite enjoyable, although towards the end I got a bit of a nicotine overload (admittedly I had another cigar 3 hours earlier). About a month ago, I managed to score a few of the famed "Sharks" (maduro wrapper) and I couldn't resist smoking one only a day later. I suppose the lack of rest after the lengthy trip was part of the reason for the terrible burn and not the greatest of flavours (too spicy for my liking).

Personally I don't find the Arturo Fuente line cubanesque. Generally speaking they're good cigars but a different experience than a Cuban

Anejo 48

th_215488515_2012_03_1815.58.47_122_307lo.jpg

See I would give them a go but that 'uber power' just turns me right off, why would they even blend it that way? I'd be really happy trying them but everyone says how strong they are, so why do they do it? It seems to be like buying a huge lobster then putting half a pound of black pepper on top.

The cynical side of me says that you can hide a lot of imperfections behind a cloak of power and strength, but it may just be the American style of cigars to be big and strong/powerful?

They obviously can make good cigars it just seems a waste to me to stick all that power in there and (for me) ruin what could be a great product.