Punch Double Corona Review

Punch Double Corona

BoxCode: SVF OCT 05

Date: April 2, 2012

Starttime 4:45PM

Paired this with a little bit of Cognac. This review is a bit of a departure for me. Not as verbose, as I really wanted to enjoy the cigar as much as possible.

post-6763-0-33478100-1333413251.jpg

Pre Light observations:

Coldaroma. Peanut, cake. Cigar a bit spongy, though firmly packed.

Firstthird

Slightlybitter with sweet finish. Some toffee on the finish some nuttinesscoming out. Very good burn, easy draw toasty tobacco and walnut though there are still hints of bitterness followed by doughy sweetness. Very lightflaky ash.

post-6763-0-56390800-1333413257.jpg

Toasty tobacco. Still a slightly bitter tannic notethroughout but enjoyable. Dry walnut notes. Slight peanut tastecoming on. Some tobacco kick. Dry finish on the palate. Some toffee in the past two draws.

post-6763-0-72020400-1333413265.jpg

Secondthird

Someanise sweetness. Peanut again not as pronounced as I'd like butpromising. More nuttiness, the bitterness is waning now. Draw smooth as silk, taking "sips" of the cigar and not my usual double puff. The cigar isflattening out flavour-wise to be nutty and sweet at this point.

post-6763-0-33910400-1333413274.jpg

The burn is a tad bitwonky but not worrisome. Moretoffee. Much smoother cigar now. Toffee with a tanniny finish. Sunsetgoing down. A chill is coming on don't want to rush the cigar but i need to keep it moving.

The cigar is behaving well so far. Still some sweetness. Peanuts on the finish. Very nice.thumbsup.gif Creamy almostbuttery flavors coming through bookended by dry tanniny notes. Coffeemocha smoothness really.

post-6763-0-64728300-1333413287.jpg

Really tasty. Intense coffee notes followedby green pepper. Odd.thinking.gif More nuttiness. Tanniny finish stillpresent. Getting slightly chilly now. Some green pepper to end thesecond third.

Third Third

Coffeewith some anise on the finish. Ash is still very flaky. Toffee sweetness. Sweet finish. More coffee. Big peanut punch followed by milkycoffee. Bitter coffee notes with a sweet rescue on the finish.

post-6763-0-68472500-1333413293.jpg

A bit more of the same. More coffee with nutty aftertaste. Back gopeanuts. Creamy coffee with peanut aftertaste. Verydelicious. Bitter coffee. Molasses toffee. Coffee hit withwalnut finish.

post-6763-0-12758200-1333413305.jpg

Morepeanut. Almost done. Big peanut hit. More anise & peanut.This baby is done.

post-6763-0-24362500-1333413310.jpg

EndTime 5:55PM

Conclusion:

This is my second Punch DC from the box. The first one I smoked had a lot of bitterness in it. This one was a lot sweeter though it did have some bitter notes here and there. The Punch "peanut" tastes really started to come through on this stick. I was very pleased with the varying levels of coffee flavours. The hits of toffee were also unique. This box is showing me a bit of evolution. I'm hoping the next cigars I pull will have smoothed out even more.

Score: 91. Were it not for the bitterness peppered throughout, this would climbed to 96 for me.

Final Thoughts: The bitter notes bother me. The first one had a bit more, this one was more tame. I'm wondering if that's the result of the humidity levels within the cigar itself. It was very spongy when I pinched it. It burned well and never needed a relight though. Any thoughts on what can cause a cigar to be "bitter"? The storing conditions or the tobacco itself?

Thanks for reading, I hoped you enjoyed this review.

Frank

Great review :thumbsup: Defiantly will go try one of these out because I love the flavor profile that you said you got.

Bitterness sounds like it was the humidity levels within the cigar itself. I found smoking in a Toronto winter that the really cold night might have an effect when your smoking, cold air is devoid of humidity and pulls moisture out of things that have it, I found some bitterness too when it was like -1 etc etc I think that with cold air + the sponginess might explain the bitterness or at lest thats my best guess. :spotlight:

Nice review! I love the larger vitolas but rarely have the time to smoke them. I do like keeping some around for those rare moments though.

Great review! I really like the Punch Churchills but they have been discontinued this year. The flavour profile you've described sounds similar to the Churchill.

Frank I really liked your review, very informative, nice pics and descriptions. Gave me a really good idea about the stick. I prefer larger format cigars such as churchills and DCs as I feel they can offer more of an experience compared to say a robusto. Just seldom find the time to take a big smoke on. Well done for doing so and sharing.