HDM Short Hoyo Piramides EL 2011

Pre-Light:

Construction of this cigar is excellent, despite the crack in the head of the cigar. Wasn't a problem after I clipped the head off for the pre-light draw. Aroma at cold shows sweet tobacco with a slight cedar smell. Also hints of sweetness through the foot. Draw is perfect with just a little resistance, nowhere near a wind tunnel. Cold draw shows sweetness along with the cedar notes.

Opening:

Right of the bat, smoothness and a sort of chocolate flavor come into play. Tons of smoke with a long finish on the palate. Right at the end of the finish, slight cedar comes out.

1st Third:

Through the first third, I can tell that this cigar has some youth to it. Slight bit of ammonia in the finish. Has gotten sweeter since lighting. Medium bodied throughout. The sweetness is mostly attributed to the dark chocolate brown wrapper. Great stick, I can't wait to see what else it has in store.

2nd Third:

Continuing on, I noticed a smoother texture coming out, much smoother than the start or even the first third. Then a new flavor appeared out of the blue, a slightly floral/fruity flavor that intensified through the end of this third and continues to intensify as I get into the final inch or so of this stick. Much better than the first one out of the box.

Final Third:

Through this final third, I could tell that this cigar is still very young and needs to sit for a little while. That being said, this cigar was absolutely amazing! I did not want this to end, but it had to. Hopefully in a year or so, this stick will be one that I will love even more. Pure chocolate and sweet tobacco. Cedar faded away during this third and I could sense a harshness coming on when I decided to put this one down. Great cigar. 93/100 easily. Images included below:

post-10097-0-53710100-1337922892.jpg

post-10097-0-08194300-1337923354.jpg

post-10097-0-17011900-1337923449.jpg

post-10097-0-74413300-1337923508.jpg

Great Review. I have given this cigar several attempts. I have not liked this stick.

I have gotten through many boxes of this. Favorite of this year. Very bright citrus. Will evolve beautifully as the tannins fade.

You seem to lop off a bunch, try it again with just the tip off and see if you experience a difference. I think you'll find the piramide shape does wonders to changing the flavors! :)

Through this final third, I could tell that this cigar is still very young and needs to sit for a little while.

I'm kind of hoping this part is correct; I had one the other day and can't say I enjoyed it a lot... It was okay, but nowhere near as good as I expected it to be. Last 3rd, for me, was terrible.

I'm still rather new to the 'tastes' of Cubans, however this was the first CC I've had where I decided to let them sit rather than smoke them all up immediately.

Nice review!

• 10 months later...

Enjoyed those I had immensely, although I also got a creamy/floral/citris quality out of it in points, with a little buttery and shortbread note coming and going; will check in with an update on these in the next few weeks, time permitting.

• 4 weeks later...

Got 7 left in a box. Nothing incredibly special, but decent smoke. Am leaving the rest for another year though to see if age will make them stand out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Nice review. I'm also a fan on the Short Hoyo. The wrappers on mine are as dark as yours. However had a single from a LCDH a while ago with what appeared to be a much lighter wrapper, and it didn't have any of those sweet notes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great review, but I have must a bad box. They look and smell amazing, but 3/3 so far have been plugged beyond smokable. I hope and pray that the roller had a bad few and that my remaining are better. Cheers for those whom have the good ones!

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...