Burgundy anyone?

phoenix

Grilling lamb Chops on the barbie and enjoying a 1999 Domaine Maume Lavaux Saint Jacques. Just wondering if there are any other Burgundy "nuts" on FOH and what you are enjoying of late?

For you Maume fans, I know you are probably bigger fans of the Mazi-Chambertin or Clos de Bez, but you should REALLY try the Lavaux St Jacques!

post-2201-0-57758600-1338336520.jpg

+1 here for Burgundy

Chambolle-Musigny is my favorite appellation, almost feminine compared with your more muscular Gevrey-Chambertin

I lOVE Chambolle-Musigny! In Chambolle I'm a big fan of Georges Roumier-- followed by de Vogue...

PS... If you like Chambolle-Musigny, you will also like the softer style of the Lavaux Saint Jaques! For the best bang for the buck, pick up the Jadot.

viisted de vogue last october. fabulous spot. also freddie mugnier (did roumier many yeasr ago). actually putting together a musigny event here in brizzy in july with mates. can't wait.

Musigny? That ain't gonna be cheap. Must be REALLY good mates ;)

Wouldn't happen to be week of 7/2/12 would it???

I need to visit Oz more often!

+1 here for Burgundy

Chambolle-Musigny is my favorite appellation, almost feminine compared with your more muscular Gevrey-Chambertin

If you like Chambolle... try some Bonne Mares and/or Musigny and let me know your thoughts ;)

If you like Chambolle... try some Bonne Mares and/or Musigny and let me know your thoughts ;)

I had Bonnes Mares a couple of times, but not yet Musigny. Grand Crus are very expensive so I keep them for special occasions

I stick to Premier Cru for day-to-day drinking, it's better for my wallet ;)

I had Bonnes Mares a couple of times, but not yet Musigny. Grand Crus are very expensive so I keep them for special occasions

I stick to Premier Cru for day-to-day drinking, it's better for my wallet ;)

Yup the AOC/village Chambolle-Musigny is hard to beat for value :2thumbs:

Musigny? That ain't gonna be cheap. Must be REALLY good mates ;)

Wouldn't happen to be week of 7/2/12 would it???

I need to visit Oz more often!

i'm assuming you don't mean 7th of feb? nor is it on the 2nd of july. good mates but everyone brings a bottle - if they have one (if not, some dopuble up and others will bring something special to the lunch). we will do the tasting first up and then everyone will have a bottle of something completely different for lunch. be about 14 of us. won't make the mistake of last year when we did the same with taylors vintage ports - went back to 1924 for that one - where one of my mates insisted that a single bottle over lunch not enough and so, after a morning tasting 16 vintages of port, we all brought magnums (repercussions of that still going on).

had a good chat to the sommelier at taillevent in paris on the trip. he was adamant it was still too early to drink 1999 (which is okay if you have cellars full of the stuff) and 2002 not even yet considered. we went with a roumier bonnes mares from 2001 - he was firmly of the view that the 01's are the vintage to drink at the moment. it was glorious. and much much cheapert han in australia, i might add, even at a three star.

i'm assuming you don't mean 7th of feb? nor the 2nd of july. good mates but everyone brings a bottle. we will do the tasting first up and then everyone will have a bottle for lunch. be about 14 of us. won't make the mistake of last year when we did the same with taylors vintage ports - went back to 1924 for that one - where one of my mates insisted that a single bottle over lunch not enough and so, after a morning tasting 16 vintages of port, we all brought magnums (repercussions of that still going on).

had a good chat to the sommelier at taillevent in paris on the trip. he was adamant it was still too early to drink 1999 (which is okay if you have cellars full of the stuff) and 2002 not even yet considered. we went with a roumier bonnes mares from 2001 - he was firmly of the view that the 01's are the vintage to drink at the moment. it was glorious. and much much cheapert han in australia, i might add, even at a three star.

So when in July is it? If the 1st week, I can bring a 1990 de Vogue :)

And you are correct-- not all 2002 are ready, but Lavaux St. Jacques are good to go :)

As far as any year, depends on whether or not they are going thru a "dumb" period or not. My 1999's are in general drinking very well at the moment, but who knows this time next year...

BTW-- When it comes to Port... I'm all in.... ;)

So when in July is it? If the 1st week, I can bring a 1990 de Vogue :)

And you are correct-- not all 2002 are ready, but Lavaux St. Jacques are good to go :)

As far as any year, depends on whether or not they are going thru a "dumb" period or not. My 1999's are in general drinking very well at the moment, but who knows this time next year...

BTW-- When it comes to Port... I'm all in.... ;)

no, a week or so later (think the 14th or something - 12th?). we've actually got the 90 already.

the port tasting was fantastic.

Loveeeeeeeeeeeee my burgundy! I wish I can afford more of their 1er and grand cur unfortunately in Australia after we pay all taxes and GST we're paying nearly double if not triple the price. I love their whites and reds and my favourite appelation for the whites would have to be chassagne montrachet and for the reds vosne romanee and Nuits St Georges.

I also know that it's Guy's favourite!

Cheers,

Elie

I drink Volnay and Nuits St. George typically. A friend recommended Volnay to me for value, and for whatever reason, I have not deviated too far from my initial path.

My family lives is Santa Barbara County, California. Have found some decent pinots over the years. Au Bon Climate is probably my favorite Cali label. Not Bourgogne peaks of complexity, but some solid wines that remind me of home.

Red Burgundy is IT (in my books) Chambolle much preferred but in the end I enjoy all well made Pinot Noir. Be it 'Grand Cru' or a 'Grand Ordinaire'. Jean Jacques Confuron, Dujac, Arnoux, Leroy, Gouges, de Vogue, Meo-Camuzet...

Red Burgundy is IT (in my books) Chambolle much preferred but in the end I enjoy all well made Pinot Noir. Be it 'Grand Cru' or a 'Grand Ordinaire'. Jean Jacques Confuron, Dujac, Arnoux, Leroy, Gouges, de Vogue, Meo-Camuzet...

I had a 1979 Leroy Vosne-Romanee a while back that was damn near an out of body religious experience. Tough to get Leroy and Meo-Camuzet where I am, with Dujac, Hubert Lignier, Roumier, and de Vogue easier to come by. Love Dujac in Clos de Roche and Clos St. Denis, Lignier in Morey St. Denis, and Roumier in Chambolle...

Like cuban cigars-- there is something for everyone in Burgundy and you don't have to spend the big bucks to enjoy great juice!.

Another burg head here, I've pretty much focused all my new purchases down to burg only for the foreseeable future.

I have a mixed case of '07 maume Lavaux and Mazis, but haven't tried any of it yet, my recent experiences with '07 are that it's not time yet and when it is, they'll mostly only be good and not transcedant. That being said, I've heard mixed things about Maume and got these as the price was right and Meadows didn't think that were too bad.... Anyone else a fan of the producer?

I love Vosne, and mostly can't afford to drink it.... Love gevrey, chambolle and volnay. Nuits can be middling and lack typically to me, but I've had fantastic wines too, savigny I've had great luck. Actually, I just love burgundy!

Another burg head here, I've pretty much focused all my new purchases down to burg only for the foreseeable future.

I have a mixed case of '07 maume Lavaux and Mazis, but haven't tried any of it yet, my recent experiences with '07 are that it's not time yet and when it is, they'll mostly only be good and not transcedant. That being said, I've heard mixed things about Maume and got these as the price was right and Meadows didn't think that were too bad.... Anyone else a fan of the producer?

I love Vosne, and mostly can't afford to drink it.... Love gevrey, chambolle and volnay. Nuits can be middling and lack typically to me, but I've had fantastic wines too, savigny I've had great luck. Actually, I just love burgundy!

2003 and 2007 are considered two of the worst years in recent times for Burgundy-- so don't make too hasty a judgement. Granted, great producers fare better in off years, so I am of course generalizing here (i.e. I recently tasted a 2007 Roumier Bonnes-Mares that was quite good). The 2009 Maume Lavaux and Mazis are out and you should try and get some if you have access. Also 1999 and 2002 are the 2 most accessible years of late with a little age. 2005 was considered one of the best years in the history of Burgundy, but still hard as nails at the moment.

Actually Vosne-Romanee (sans Leroy), Volnay and Cote de Nuits/Nuit St. Georges are usually the bargains, as well as village/AOC Chambolle-Musigny. Also vieilles vines ( "old vines") selections can be relative bargains. I like the Vincent Giardin selections for value here-- especially the Gevrey and Clos de Bez.

Enjoy!!

2003 and 2007 are considered two of the worst years in recent times for Burgundy-- so don't make too hasty a judgement. Granted, great producers fare better in off years, so I am of course generalizing here (i.e. I recently tasted a 2007 Roumier Bonnes-Mares that was quite good). The 2009 Maume Lavaux and Mazis are out and you should try and get some if you have access. Also 1999 and 2002 are the 2 most accessible years of late with a little age. 2005 was considered one of the best years in the history of Burgundy, but still hard as nails at the moment.

Actually Vosne-Romanee (sans Leroy), Volnay and Cote de Nuits/Nuit St. Georges are usually the bargains, as well as village/AOC Chambolle-Musigny. Also vieilles vines ( "old vines") selections can be relative bargains. I like the Vincent Giardin selections for value here-- especially the Gevrey and Clos de Bez.

Enjoy!!

I actually have had pretty good experiences with '07 so far, it certainly has nothing in common with '03 in my experience. So far I haven't been in love with the '09s I've had and much prefer '08. Never particularly found Vosne to be much of a bargain, but agree regarding Volnay. Very mixed experience with Girardin, but it's to the point now where I generally don't seek his wines out. Cheers!

i always find that you are usually better off going with producers than vintages in burgundy, though vintages do play a role. the top guys will be fine in both 03 and 07.

i'm not generally fond of 03's but they are rather unique in burg - a vintage for anyone who is a lover of shiraz who might want to explore burgs. not been overly excited by 07's, found 08's better. 09's have a lot in common with 05s for me. interestingly, when i spent some time there last year, we were basically told to leave both 02 and 99 well alone for some time yet.

looked at a lot of 2010's from barrel - i was blown away. but they are for those who prefer the elegant, more delicate style of burgs. the antithesis of 2009.