Cigar photos

Check my new website of Cuban cigar photos. :photog:

Finally got the first version ready, been working with it every now and then since January. The connection is not too fast and the photos are a bit big, but that's how it is at the moment. Anyway, I hope you like it. :cigar:

http://cigar.net76.net/

Thanks to everyone for kind words!

I've added a link on my website to your photos.

I'm flattered, Sir. Thank you!

Hmmm. . . pictures don't appear for me.

I am very sorry, but I can't help because I am not able to reproduce the problem. Have been testing it with WinXP/Win7/Ubuntu/Symbian operating systems and IE8/IE9/Firefox12+13/Opera browsers. I haven't tested it with Apple devices though - it just doesn't seem to suit me... :D

Great pics. I remember the "Party Time" from the photo competition I believe. :)

Yes, I finally found a place/purpose for that photo. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you gentlemen!

Love it. What camera/lenses are you using? Love the lighting and composition!

My new cigar hobby is taking over my photography hobby. I have to find a way to incorporate them together!

The cigar shooting gear I have used mostly:

- Canon EOS 400D

- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

- Self made lightbox (Here's a photo)

- 2 x 150W halogen bulbs

- 18% greycard

- Manfrotto stand

- Shutter remote

That's quite a cheap set, but fair enough for the purpose. I just don't find reasonable for myself to buy better camera with L-series lenses. Of course the quality would be better then..

I have found that a day out of the humi will give a well-hydrated stogie a sheen -- oils pulled to the wrapper at a warm room temp. Do you give them time before shooting?

Usually I try to shoot as fast as possible and return the cigars in the humidor immediately after shooting. The difference of temperature between my humidor and room is only some 4-6C, so it doesn't necessarily affect very clearly. Varying lighting conditions also bring out the sheen differently as seen in my photos.

It has been discussed here earlier that change in temperature will bring out the oils/plume, but I haven't tested it yet. I have thought to test it with frozen(-22C or less) stick brought to sauna(+80C or more). That would make over 100C difference and if something was about to happen I'm sure it would be enough. I bet that the wrapper would explode though, even if the cigar was in a tube. :lol:

What I sure have noticed is that a cigar stored in 17-18C and smoked in 22-23C does taste better than a cigar stored in room temperature. Of course it is not possible to test with the same cigar, but still I am sure about that. Maybe it's because of the oil pulled to wrapper thing (or between my ears), who knows..

Thank you gentlemen!

The cigar shooting gear I have used mostly:

- Canon EOS 400D

- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

- Self made lightbox (Here's a photo)

- 2 x 150W halogen bulbs

- 18% greycard

- Manfrotto stand

- Shutter remote

That's quite a cheap set, but fair enough for the purpose. I just don't find reasonable for myself to buy better camera with L-series lenses. Of course the quality would be better then..

Goes to show that even modest equipment can shine in the right hands! I wonder what kind of work you can do with a 5D3 and a some L lenses! :photog:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a pleasant trip to Holland last week and got some new stuff. Also took photos of some cigars which I hadn't been shot earlier. So, new photos of the following cigars now added and updated the site a bit.

- Partagas 8-9-8 unvarnished. Very many thanks to the giver !!!

- Diplomaticos No.5

- Hoyo de Monterrey Hoyo des Dieux

- Por Larranaga Petit Coronas

- Romeo y Julieta Petit Julietas

- Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs

- Romeo y Julieta Club Kings