1st attempt at smoking

LGC

I don't have a dedicated smoker, so I used my gas grill... with one burner turned down. I used my digital thermometer to monitor smoking temps. Temperature was maintained around 225 to 250 F. I did 2 hours uncovered, 1 hour covered, and 30 minutes directly on the grill. I used some apple soda throughout the cooking to try and maintain some moisture. I didn't obtain the degree of smoke penetration that I prefer. The wood chips were not smoldering sufficiently by the time I put the ribs on the grill. I also didn't put the wood chip foil pouches directly on the burners. Therefore, there wasn't enough smoke exposure during the 1st hour of cooking. Although the results weren't exactly what I wanted, everyone was happy with the results.

I also made roasted butternut squash, and potato and onion hash... with fresh beignets for dessert.

ad3e2052.jpg36804317.jpg22e60f46.jpg

The trick is, for ribs, to do a good dry rub and let it marinate for awhile. Then, if you don't have a smoker, you have to put the woodchips in a pouch on your burner. The trick is to mix 2/3 wet wood with 1/3 dry wood. That way, wood starts to burn faster. The longuer you let your meat smoke, the more taste you're gonna have. It's also very important to keep your temperature low but don't be affraid to cook them longuer. I'v cooked ribs for 12 hours in my smoker. Trust me, it's worth the try!