China: growing demand for Cuban cigars

[quote

Didn't know they had their own cigars...."Great Wall" B)

I have had chinese cigars. And they are crap. "Not taste so good" is the understatement of the year.

But they were interesting to smoke, just to have the experience of smoking them.

My parents came back from china in 2010, thought they were doing the right thing and brought back these Great Wall cigars but by the time I got them they were as dry as driftwood .

Looks like I didnt miss out on anything. I did some background research with various stores before they went. To expensive and in most cases I got 2 replies one from the store

then one from the worker there via hotmail offering better deals out the back. Interesting stuff...

Sharks

Cigars in China are following trend of other “luxury” items. It is like wine trend started few years ago – everyone is drinking Bordeaux now (and most still have no idea how a decent wine should taste).

In years living in China I met just few locals who really appreciate Cuban cigars – most others were looking on them as business related communication tool.

Are those Chinese brands?

I think he's just making a joke out of the abundant counterfeits that are produced in the different types of manufacturing. I don't think those would be actual labels, but I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel to Shanghai a few times a year for the past 7 years. I've been seeing more and more people starting to smoke Cuban cigars each year. Everything is about "image" there, and smoking mostly EL's and RE's.

I still remember one my first trips there, going out with a group of locals, and they order a bottle of Macallan 12, then promptly pour the whole bottle into a pitcher of ice, and then dump in a bottle of coke into it. They also poured a bottle of red wine, and added 7-up to everyones glass. crazy.

The funniest thing is Chinese tourists going to Cuba and buying fake Cohibas. What goes around comes around? :lol:

Could you elaborate on your analogy?

...seeing more and more people starting to smoke Cuban cigars each year. Everything is about "image" there, and smoking mostly EL's and RE's.

Is it purely an image thing, or a first few steps of the learning curve? So far it seems to be a nouveau riche thing than a learning curve. But can't say I'm very in tune with Chinese culture.

Are those Chinese brands?

They were spelling mistakes in the article:

As manager of Cigar Legends, Beijing’s oldest dedicated Cigar Bar, Li’s stockroom contains a roll call of Dominican and Cuban brands: Montechristos jostling for shelf space with Cohibos and Macanudos.

Does anyone have an idea where to buy authentic Cuban cigars in Hong Kong, Shanghai or Taipei?

There are authorized La Casa Del Habanos in each of those places - check the HSA website for addresses. Everywhere else you'll be taking your chances...

Not sure if we are discussing China in general, or the bigger cities in Asia and Hong Kong - I am no expert on geography here by any means.

My recent European trips see line-ups to luxury retailers so long outside they have set up walkways with stands and velvet ropes. And the folks waiting in these 100 people deep lines are 90% Asian.

I can't discuss taxes but recently came back from visiting a friend who has been working in Beijing for the last 5 years. They apparently tried to tighten up on public smoking in the lead up to the Olympics but I would say it has mostly reverted back to welcome just about anywhere.

I still remember one my first trips there, going out with a group of locals, and they order a bottle of Macallan 12, then promptly pour the whole bottle into a pitcher of ice, and then dump in a bottle of coke into it. They also poured a bottle of red wine, and added 7-up to everyones glass. crazy.

Kyee,

guess you'll like this comment on such practices by my friend and fellow Singaporean blogger Mike "loh-and-behold" :

http://lohandbehold....an-do-no-wrong/

Warning : Blunt free speech - might offend average free speech"sensivities"......... :whistle:

Any idea what smoking laws are like in China?

I was in Shanghai for work a couple of months back, and I got the impression that they were introducing tighter restrictions on where you could smoke. The hotel that I was staying in, for example, was non-smoking. That being said, there were ashtrays and matches in the room in front of the no smoking sign as well as in the lobby, and they would bring an ashtray to your table in the restaurant.