Impresive Cigar Collection

Reading some of the comments here, I can understand friends with large collections choosing to be and stay anonymous.

Sure, no hatred, but : who needs hobby psychologists giving you pp advice on what to do with your own collection or speculating wildly about your motives ... ?

Sometimes a cigar collection is just that and Napoleon is a long dead dwarf.

Nino,

Thank you for this.

In this thread, your post is from another world. A different world I aspire to live in and live up to.

Wilkey

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading some of the comments here, I can understand friends with large collections choosing to be and stay anonymous.

Sure, no hatred, but : who needs hobby psychologists giving you pp advice on what to do with your own collection or speculating wildly about your motives ... ?

bravo!

some people see the glass half empty, some half full, me, I drink what's in it and fill it up again!

I'm going to preface my comments by saying I don't hate this guy. Good for him.

But he knows **** about cigars.

Also, if he is keeping them as an investment, he should open them and check their condition. He'll have to do that eventually anyway.

Nice collection!

"...I felt a tremor in the force." Eric whacha doin here lol. Am I picking you up today?

Ding Ding Ding

The whole video was a big "look at me" post.

Same could be said about all the "check out my aristocrat" or "proposed lounge" posts. But hey, I like looking at collections, and relating to the gd hard work and effort I know it takes to build up a collection.

Can we now discuss the fake Dunhill and Davidoff cigars that have flooded the market?

Haha.....

Free Speech Week continues....

but you were the expert!

That's the spirit! Cheers, my friend.

Wilkey

Interesting epistemological perspective.

I guess I fail to see the relevance of the optimism/pessimism metaphor and its new variant: rapacious consumerism.

Is there a direct link between a specific critique and a person's overall existential outlook? Seems unlikely. Are those who like to discuss sociology and philosophy in a public forum by definition lacking a love for life or human camaraderie? Hmm. Doubt it.

True communication is a give/take proposition. I just don't see how the attempts to discuss a video beyond 'oooh,' 'wow,' and 'bravo' would be construed as 'hateful'. I think for several of us that have reacted to the videos with a puzzled expression, the underlying motivation is far more constructive than petty jealousy.

I just don't see how the attempts to discuss a video beyond 'oooh,' 'wow,' and 'bravo' would be construed as 'hateful'. I think for several of us that have reacted to the videos with a puzzled expression, the underlying motivation is far more constructive than petty jealousy.

THIS ^^

There are definitely varied opinions about collecting and showing off. I don't expect everyone to share my perspective. What seems superficial to one may seem life-affirming to another. Some value humility. Others value material signifiers of success. I don't think there will be consensus on these issues as they get to the core of human behavior and its perception in the social arena.

Stroke em if you got em...

Well said, I don't think I could have said it any better.

I guess I fail to see the relevance of the optimism/pessimism metaphor and its new variant: rapacious consumerism.

Is there a direct link between a specific critique and a person's overall existential outlook? Seems unlikely. Are those who like to discuss sociology and philosophy in a public forum by definition lacking a love for life or human camaraderie? Hmm. Doubt it.

True communication is a give/take proposition. I just don't see how the attempts to discuss a video beyond 'oooh,' 'wow,' and 'bravo' would be construed as 'hateful'. I think for several of us that have reacted to the videos with a puzzled expression, the underlying motivation is far more constructive than petty jealousy.

How dare you back up your opinion with reason and logic? For shame.... :lol:

As for tha people that find differences of opinion intolerable I ask, why? I am of the same mindset as others have had, I enjoy cigars for the moment I get to myself, the step away from all the trials of life, the smoke billowing, and the relaxation it brings me. So from a perspective of mine, yes, he has a wonderful collection, am I jealous, no he's earned what he has, but that still does not take away from the fact that I see it as a tremendous waste. Am I worng for haveing a different opnion? No.

As far as relevent sayings I do say that it reminds me of one. After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

That's my point. The point of the video was not really about the cigars. It was him and his collecrtion. It seems, to me at least,

Like there could be either a mid-life crisis or a Napoleon issue going on.

Lol. True. But wish I has some of his cigars.

For me, it's great that he has this collection. To clarify, I'm not the least bit jealous of his accomplishments. But contrast this with some of the guys here on FOH who have shared glimpses, if not documentary length video, of their collections. PigFish and Bart come to mind immediately, but there have been many others. What strikes me as the big difference between them and Rich is that their entire motivation for the endeavor is their enjoyment of the cigars. It doesnt mean that I don't think Rich should do exactly as he wants with what he has. He should do what gives him the most pleasure. I was just giving my opinion of the video. If that was inappropriate, I apologize, and I will keep my opinions to myself from now on. I wish Rich and all others all the best, and now I'll stop posting.

Sums it up perfectly for me, FOH is made up of people from every single walk of life, culture, creed etc.. It's very interesting to see how people view certain things in light of those differences. It's one of the things which makes FOH such fun to take part in. I don't see how people can get hot under the collar about reading different opinions. There is certainly no hate that I have seen, that's a pretty strong word to throw about! Maybe some comments hit a little too close to home for some people?

It does seem a little strange for someone to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a collection but to have great holes in knowledge eg the maduro 5 series being a one time run. If there are such large gaps then that sets of alarm bells as a viewer as to how he bought a lot of those rare cigars, off craigs list etc by falling for well spoken but dodgy sellers.

Think how boring this thread would have been if every single reply had been:

"Nice"

"Lovely"

"Cool"

"Nice"

"Nice"

One trend I've noticed is just this above, I stop clicking on threads because sometimes it turns into one massive patting on the head circle jerk instead of an interesting discussion. I don't want to read threads like that where once you see the first post there's no point ever circling back to that thread. Put me in the camp that noticed no hate. Calling people haters is such a lazy approach, with no real analysis or processing of information going on just a bitter knee jerk response.

brilliant

It's ok for people to have differing opinions, I don't think there's anyone in this thread who doesn't think he has a great collection.

...epistemological perspective.

I'd respond with elaboration but frankly, I have found that there are no hobby forums where explicit argumentation on issues of epistemology is either well-tolerated or, ultimately, constructive. So in that spirit, I'll concede whatever point you were intending to make. In essence, I'm just not interested in continuing this dialogue.

I think a great many threads have gone awry these last few months and I'm not sure why. I do know that I'm having less and less fun when engaging members, for the most part.

Wilkey

I also can understand why some with large collections prefer to stay under the radar but not based on the comments here. I don't see the hate some people refer to.

Those with large and vintage collections tend to be extreamly generous, humble and dignified. This guy might be all of those however his video came off as obnxious, at least to me. Anybody that broadcasts on YouTube is opening themselves up for comments. I see world of difference between a personal blog/website and what he did but hey it's his collection more power to him.

I'd respond with elaboration but frankly, I have found that there are no hobby forums where explicit argumentation on issues of epistemology is either well-tolerated or, ultimately, constructive. So in that spirit, I'll concede whatever point you were intending to make. In essence, I'm just not interested in continuing this dialogue.

I think a great many threads have gone awry these last few months and I'm not sure why. I do know that I'm having less and less fun when engaging members, for the most part.

Wilkey

Sorry to hear that you are not enjoying yourself or than engaging members in actual conversation is not of interest to you.

I recognize that people differ in the type of communication that is comfortable for them. I see epistemological topics everywhere. After all, what is the tired glass metaphor anyway other than a simplistic representation of knowledge and perspective. So epistemology is present whether explicitly stated or not....

I completely support the FOH policy of playing the ball other than the man, and if the line was crossed, I accept such criticism.

I think that the best forums do allow deeper conversations about human society. FOH certainly has this tradition. I don't think that philosophical concerns are intolerable for the majority here, particularly if arguments are well articulated and ultimately respectful.

There is a tradition of 'taking the piss' in cigar culture. At my local shop, all topics are allowed and encouraged. Admittedly, I live in a college town and people here enjoy stimulating conversation. Even the municipal workers are willing to discuss whether a 'cigar is just a cigar' and similar such topics.

I would hope that FOH is home to a wide variety of personalities, but that at the end of the day, everyone realizes that it ain't that serious, conversation can be for fun, and that an overall spirit of friendship and tolerace is maintained.

But contrast this with some of the guys here on FOH who have shared glimpses, if not documentary length video, of their collections. PigFish and Bart come to mind immediately, but there have been many others. What strikes me as the big difference between them and Rich is that their entire motivation for the endeavor is their enjoyment of the cigars.

True, but some of our members who've shared - Fatcigar, Padrinocubano, GTS21, and more - are serious collectors. And while we've certainly had discussions

about some of the cigars, I can't recall anybody ever getting personal about them - their motivation, why they collect, etc.

On a side note, for me personally, it seems more and more that we're becoming attracted to drama....

I went to an FOH drama fest, and a cigar conversation broke out....

P.S. It might be worth keeping in mind that the person in the video did not post his video here. Rob and Ken have been

called wankers. etc in youtube comments - does anybody here feel the same?

Step up.

Wilkey

Sentiments shared

Cheers

Dan

Just saw the vid (one) and this thread now.

Nino is spot on. The ranting of home psychologists is the reason 99% of collectors will never showcase their collections outside of their personal friends.

"oooooh" did you hear what he said at 3:53?

"oooooh" did you notice the band at 4:01...it didn't look right

"oooooh" he is collecting them for the wrong reasons

"oooooh" I would never wear that shirt

Seriously some of you people are cigar Kardashians with a Thesaurus. Drama queens looking for a stage.

For me, it's great that he has this collection. To clarify, I'm not the least bit jealous of his accomplishments. But contrast this with some of the guys here on FOH who have shared glimpses, if not documentary length video, of their collections. PigFish and Bart come to mind immediately, but there have been many others. What strikes me as the big difference between them and Rich is that their entire motivation for the endeavor is their enjoyment of the cigars. It doesnt mean that I don't think Rich should do exactly as he wants with what he has. He should do what gives him the most pleasure. I was just giving my opinion of the video. If that was inappropriate, I apologize, and I will keep my opinions to myself from now on. I wish Rich and all others all the best, and now I'll stop posting.

Thanks for the shout out :)

Just saw the vid (one) and this thread now.

Nino is spot on. The ranting of home psychologists is the reason 99% of collectors will never showcase their collections outside of their personal friends.

"oooooh" did you hear what he said at 3:53?

"oooooh" did you notice the band at 4:01...it didn't look right

"oooooh" he is collecting them for the wrong reasons

"oooooh" I would never wear that shirt

Seriously some of you people are cigar Kardashians with a Thesaurus. Drama queens looking for a stage.

Interesting psychological diagnosis, Prez.

Just a little info, the guy in the video didn't make the video. Am amateur cigar reviewer did. One with limited experience with Cubans.

I think that gives some insight into why things were presented the way they were.

EDIT: and I totally agree with Nino and Prez. Ya the guy made some errors but none of us are perfect. We never know who is lurking with an epic collection that will be discouraged from showing it.

Remember, as Colt pointed out, many FOH members have shared glimpses of their collections, and never had a negative word said about it. Ask yourself why that is. I would say what I think, but I think its a personality thing, and don't want to risk engaging in any amateur psychology. And anyway I've misplaced my thesaurus.