Kayaking the Glades: Mosquito, Heat, and Rain

Miami101

The winds have been strong, heat beyond normal, and random rains. The mosquito levels are high, and it looks to be keeping people away in large numbers.

If you’re going out via Kayak back country make sure to be ready to deal with these elements. The best time to come down is Winter time. Sorry on the photos it hard to take great shots when you are alone.

12m085.jpg

12m087.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

Picture026.jpg

romanandfishing246.jpg

seattroutfinal.jpg

Seatout3.jpg

seatfinal.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

untitledSnookonFlats.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3386final.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_3333.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3338.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_2136-1.jpg

IMG_2134-1.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

378901_224855927593688_100002078474741_470728_1262485285_n.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

romanandfishing314.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, Miami101! :idea: Get you some Avon Skin So Soft oil and rub it on yourselves. It's about the best unsung, best kept secret as far as keeping insect pests off your person. Fishermen I know sing praises about it often. We put it on our dogs too, and they suffer no flea infestation or other types of unwanted hitch-hikers. And you'll smell nice and fragrant too! :love:

• 3 years later...

Very nice! Inshore slam several times over! Used to head down to Flamingo every Thanksgiving, hoping there was a cold spell to shut down the mosquitos. Best saltwater fishing ever. Loads of gators and a few crocks in Bear Lake.

• 3 months later...

Maybe we can get a group together to head down for some nice Glades kayak fishing.

Gators don't bother a guy on a kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a lot of kayak fishing in Mosquito Lagoon in Titusville / Spacecoast property. Lots of gators! The ones 6ft and under are not a real threat unless you're in the water with them, off the yak. Over that and I steer clear. Biggies much over 7ft and I watch them carefully. The real big ones aren't scared by the boat and sometimes will follow you. Unnerving when they take a fish from your line! Had a really big fellow follow our canoe for hours in Bear Lake in the Glades one day. Creepy, that was.

I did a lot of kayak fishing in Mosquito Lagoon in Titusville / Spacecoast property. Lots of gators! The ones 6ft and under are not a real threat unless you're in the water with them, off the yak. Over that and I steer clear. Biggies much over 7ft and I watch them carefully. The real big ones aren't scared by the boat and sometimes will follow you. Unnerving when they take a fish from your line! Had a really big fellow follow our canoe for hours in Bear Lake in the Glades one day. Creepy, that was.

Geez, brother, that sounds very exciting, but you're definitely braver than I!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. Only two weeks till I'm tarpon fishing the keys. This post keeps the fire high!!!