Books on (Havana) Cigars

cottierm

Here is the list of books I have on the subject. Obviously I draw my inspiration from Trevor's list on his website with a few twists and rarities added. If someone has other books in mind which do not figure here, I'll be happy to hear about them.

Best,

Michel

Zino DAVIDOFF and Gilles LAMBERT, ‘Le livre du connaisseur de cigare’, 1967.

Zino DAVIDOFF and Bernard DARY, ‘L’histoire du Havane’, 1981.

Charles DEL TODESCO, ‘The Havana Cigar: Cuba’s Finest’, 1996.

Tad GAGE, ‘The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Cigars’, 2nd ed. 2007.

Paul B.K. GARMIRIAN, ‘The Gourmet Guide to Cigars’, 1990.

GERARD PERE & FILS, ‘Guide de l’amateur de Havane’, 2nd ed. 1992.

GERARD PERE & FILS, ‘Nouveau guide de l’amateur de Havane’, 1997.

GERARD PERE & FILS, ‘Havana Cigars’, 1997.

Vahe GERARD, ‘Cigares’, 2 vols., 2nd ed. 2008.

HABANOS SA, ‘The Complete Guide for Habanos’ Enthusiasts / La guia completa para los amantes de Habanos’, 2003.

Didier HOUVENAGHEL, ‘Le Cigare. De la culture à l'art’, 2005. (Translated into English as: ‘The Cigar: From Soil to Soul’, 2008).

Enzo A. INFANTE, ‘Havana Cigars, 1817-1960’, 1997.

Bernard LE ROY and Maurice SZAFRAN, ‘La grande histoire du cigare’, 1st ed. 1989.

Eugene, MARSAN, ‘Le cigare’, 1929.

Adriano MARTINEZ RIUS, ‘Habano the King’, 1999.

Adriano MARTINEZ RIUS, ‘The Great Habano Factories’, 2005.

Min Ron NEE and Adriano MARTINEZ RUIS, ‘An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars’, 2nd reprint 2005.

Richard B. PERELMAN, ‘Perelman’s Pocket Cyclopedia of Havana Cigars’, 3rd ed. 2005.

TABAKMANN, ‘Inside Cuban Cigars’, 2012.

Guillaume TESSON, 'Le Petit Larousse des cigares', 2010 (comes in its own humidor).

Dieter H. WIRTZ, ‘Davidoff: Legend - Myth - Reality’, 2006.

Very good. An extension of his "Great Habanos Factories" book. It definitely carries on with the historical aspects. Granted, there's a slight bit of carry-over, of duplication. But, to me anyways, they read and present like two-parts of a single work. Great layout, and some amazing photos and illustrations included in there too.

I've been planning to buy this one soon, Keith.

I received this afternoon the following message from Amir concerning the Partagas book: "going back and forth with the printer on colour work for images, over 400 images and it is taking a bit longer than they had expected. Still aiming for printing and shipping by late August. I will notify you when I have an exact date"

Best,

Michel

Thanks Michel, this helps a lot to get started with some good reading material.

Your favorites would be which one?

A difficult question. Some are very informative but without beautiful pictures, others are purely coffee table books. Most are outdated now. If I had to choose one which is both beautiful and informative but also relatively cheap as a second-hand, I'll go with the Del Todesco. But I'm sure other people have their favourite!

Best,

Michel

PS: I still have lots of love for the Gerard Pere & Fils production.

Great collection there, Michel !

I might add :

Alejandro Robaina : "Tradicion y Grandeza de Alma" by J.L. Milan ( available in English )

Guillermo Cabrera Infante : "Puro Humo" ( also available in English, as "Up In Smoke" I believe ?? )

and maybe :

CA "Art of Cigars" by M. Shanken

I might add :

Alejandro Robaina : "Tradicion y Grandeza de Alma" by J.L. Milan ( available in English )

Guillermo Cabrera Infante : "Puro Humo" ( also available in English, as "Up In Smoke" I believe ?? )

and maybe :

CA "Art of Cigars" by M. Shanken

Just a note for those of you who are interested in these:

The English title for Milan's book on A. Robaina is: 'Alejandro Robaina: Tradition and Magnanimity'.

The one for G. Cabrera Infante is: 'Holy Smoke'.

Best,

Michel

UPDATE, July 26

On top of the list above, I forgot to mention, for those who prefer to watch instead of to read, the very well-made documentary of James Suckling & James Orr entitled 'Cigars: The Heart and Soul of Cuba', 2011. I bought my copy from Czar when it was issued and, whatever your opinion about Mr. Suckling may be, the result is pretty good.

I would like to Add:

• Cigars: Revised and Updated, by Vahe Gerard . This is a bundle composed of two books, one on the art of cigars, and one on the cigars themselves. The author is a bit biased, as he sells cigars himself..but I enjoy this book immensely
  • Churchill's Cigar by Stephen McGinty. A good read on one of the best known cigar smoking icons.

I might add :

The English title for Milan's book on A. Robaina is: 'Alejandro Robaina: Tradition and Magnanimity'.

Thanks Nino for recommending this book. I didn't know about it, and just placed an order for it. Michael - thanks for the English translation.

David

Thanks Nino for recommending this book. I didn't know about it, and just placed an order for it. Michael - thanks for the English translation.

David

My pleasure David - enjoy it !

Michel, also from me, Thank you for the English titles, I prefer to read these books in Spanish so I didn't have them.

I bought the book in Havana, 32,50 CUC in 2005 and during a visit to the Vega Don Alejandro was kind enough to sign it.

post-4742-0-69704400-1343391244.jpg

post-4742-0-76287200-1343391246.jpg

I would like to Add:

Churchill's Cigar by Stephen McGinty. A good read on one of the best known cigar smoking icons.

x 2 - Had it gifted last year by Nic Wing in Havana and throuroughly enjoyed reading it there !

post-4742-0-44566600-1343391659.jpg

Hi David,

Thank for the reference to S. McGinty's book.

Is Vahe Gerard's two volumes a revised edition of the original French edition ('Cigares') or only the English translation?

Best,

Michel

I would like to Add:

• Cigars: Revised and Updated, by Vahe Gerard . This is a bundle composed of two books, one on the art of cigars, and one on the cigars themselves. The author is a bit biased, as he sells cigars himself..but I enjoy this book immensely
  • Churchill's Cigar by Stephen McGinty. A good read on one of the best known cigar smoking icons.

Hi David,

Thank for the reference to S. McGinty's book.

Is Vahe Gerard's two volumes a revised edition of the original French edition ('Cigares') or only the English translation?

Best,

Michel

I believe it is revised to include the up to date (as of 2009) cigars...but I am not sure.

I am referring to the book with these ISBNs (I don't want to post any links):

• ISBN-10: 2080300962
  • ISBN-13: 978-2080300966

Regards,

David

You may well be right David. It seems that the first French edition dates back to 2001, which means that my 2008 copy is a revised and updated edition (or 2nd edition), which was then translated into English in 2009. Could you confirm the date of 2009 at the back of your copy?

Best,

Michel

Then there must be a second updated edition in English.

The English edition of "Cigars" The Art of Cigars, by Gerard Pere & Fils that I have is from 04-2002,

originally published as "Le Cigare" in French in 2001, and by Flammarion.

I'ts a 2 book set presentation by Open Door UK.

The Art of Cigars & The World's Finest Cigars.

ISBN : 2-0801-0721-6

Rgds / Nino

That is the same edition that I have but in French and so we solve the mystery:

- 1st French edition 2001, translated into English in 2002.

- 2nd French edition or revised and updated edition (if you prefer) 2008, translated into English in 2009.

Thanks David and Nino. I've updated my bibliographical list accordingly.

Best,

Michel

Very cool, Nino. THAT'S a version/packaging that I'd love to get my hands on, no matter how old/out-of-date it may be.

And....

What's with the "Special Ops" nametape on the desk also??!?!! :thinking::ph34r:

Keith,

we might still find this book for you in HAV, that's where I bought it, at the corner bookshop of the Nacional Hotel ....

Off Topic : Admire your eyesight :clap: ... it's my camera's nametag, USAF SO - Talon II ( a special C-130 Hercules bird ) given to me by a friend.