The Cigar Conundrum?

You have mate coming in from Overseas. He is a seasoned cigar lover and really has everything cigar wise.... and has tried most things in his life.

You have some great steaks to throw on the BBQ, you open some bottles of your favourite wine or spirit.

You ask if he would like a cigar post dinner.

"I would love one....you pick it for me. Anything would be perfect as long as we have the same"

Out of your current collection ........what would you pick and why? thinking.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny answer: One of your worst. If he's really a good mate, and has some epic cigars, he'll bring you a nice box from his collection next time he visits. :P;)

Serious answer: Once that prank is done, and he's finished pissing off of your balcony ( :lookaround: ), I'd pick something that's right mid-range. Not your oldest, but not your youngest either. Not a super expensive RE/LE/etc., but not even a standard smoke, let alone cheapie. Hmmmm. I'd pick a decently aged LGC, or a 3-5 year old Party 898 (EDIT - or some nice QdO offering; man, those have been great lately!), something like that. I'd ask for his impressions, see if he can help me out with any tips with getting the most out of my aging set-up. My rationale is this - something too new, and blah sometimes. Something too old, and he may feel you're trying to overly impress him, or even try to one-up him. If it's right in the middle, that's where the effects of aging one way or another may rear up it's angry head. You can get his impressions, and start a conversation on development from there.

Also, if all is well, it's enough of a non-pressure cigar that the conversation doesn't have to be about that at all. You can be free of worry from thinking about the cigars, and can just be freed up to converse about anything and everything else.

My two cents. Cheers.

I would have to go with some Monte GEs. If he has tried everything and he is a good friend of yours you aren't trying to impress him, you are just looking for a fun time smoking and conversing. The GEs are smoking great and a very nice after dinner smoke.

Something that is smoking really well at the moment.

I don't think you need to impress him so just focus on the companionship. I can guarantee, whatever cigar you guys end up smoking will be memorable due to the occasion :buddies:

Not an easy question by any means, but here it goes

I just love to open a fresh box, I just think that it's an honor for me to open a box and let my friend pick out the first cigar in a box. After some good wine and great steaks something long would be in order so we can relax and have a nice talk about life and all that jazz.

Now for the cigar, I don't have that many unopened boxes but I would go for an unopened box of La Gloria Cubana Inmensos

so all that texte for a pick

Let us know what you decide to actually pick out, or was it just an exercise :thinking::D

Something that is smoking really well at the moment.

I don't think you need to impress him so just focus on the companionship. I can guarantee, whatever cigar you guys end up smoking will be memorable due to the occasion :buddies:

This!

The only thing I would add is I would find out if there are any particular flavours that they don't like in their cigar, and avoid anything with those profiles.

The exception to that would be if, 1) I know their favourite smoke or a smoke that they particularly wanted to try, 2) I had at least 2 of said cigar. In that case I would pick out those.

I just love to open a fresh box, I just think that it's an honor for me to open a box and let my friend pick out the first cigar in a box. After some good wine and great steaks something long would be in order so we can relax and have a nice talk about life and all that jazz.

Now for the cigar, I don't have that many unopened boxes but I would go for an unopened box of La Gloria Cubana Inmensos

I like this idea too.

I don't have any unopened boxes (nor have I tried any LGC yet) though so it wouldn't work for me.

If there were 3 people around you could always go a party culebra :).

Whatever double corona is smoking best right now - anything else would be over too quickly. Sure, you could always have a second cigar, but there is nothing quite like the journey a double corona can take you on.

Post steak go with a Robusto.

PSD4

Epi 2

Cohiba

You can't go wrong with these and they are terrific after a big, rich steak dinner.

Enjoy!

This, no time for experimentation you brandish 5-10 year old rass or d4s that will blow your wig back and you know are cracking.

They always deliver and hit the spot.

+1 on the RASS

I just had such an occasion...although the friend wasnt from overseas, as much as a different state...

The lineup went like this:

2003 Boli Coronas

2004 Partagas Lusitania

2004 RASS

And I'll say this...all of those were fantastic, but when we lit up those RASS...we both looked at each other and it was cigar nirvana for the remainder of that smoke. Epic night of smoking to say the least.

Point being, screw the fancy, rare, expensive smokes. Break out something with some decent age...light up and enjoy each others company.

Out of my collection... whatever a feel like at the moment. Probably a 1998 Punch Super Seleccion #2. A good cigar, but nothing too rare. I cigar that I know will deliver. The company will make the experience more than the cigar.

I'm going with 03 HDM des Dieux. I only have 2, they are my oldest cigars, and seems like the consensus - everybody loves them.