The Cigar Conundrum?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...so it has to be the same thing for both of us, eh? I still have a few Czar and Tampa Customs on hand. We'll split that

I'd probably go with a JL No 2 smoking really good at the moment and the HQ box I picked up from Rob recently is a cracker, good post steak / hearty meal cigar.

You have mate coming in from Overseas. He is a seasoned cigar lover and really has everything cigar wise.... and has tried most things in his life.

thinking.gif

... change him, to a her and propose for me! :wub:

-PIggy

Tell that lazy bastard to go pick it himself. I just cooked and plied you with liquor, and now you want me to go all the way to my humidor to gloss over my collection for some smokes! Let me stretch my legs for a second and have a damn drink. Oh the humanity. buddies.gif

Probably a JL#2 for this week. Last week a Bolivar CG or a Lonsdale. I don't know. I'll smoke anything as long as it's in my humidor. That's why I bought it right?!

Partagas SdC #2,

Gonzalez CE

or an 03 Punch Super Selection 1 / Royal Selection 11,

or...

The idea being: share the last of these discontinued gems only with a best mate.

Given my small collection of cigars, and even smaller portion of cigars that I have more than one of, I would have to pick out some Partagas Serie P No. 2's.

Dear Rob,

I would let him choose the cigars from my own collection! After all he is a connaisseur, knows the price and quality of those sticks, so let him pick them for both of you. And you can have fun talking about why is choice was good/bad after that.

Best,

Michel

If it is someone well versed and who has had many things, that's when I'll pop out a couple odd vintage cigars. That said, I like Michel's idea above, but until I build a walk-in, all my cigars aren't in one place, so that might be difficult.

Partagas SdC #2,

Gonzalez CE

or an 03 Punch Super Selection 1 / Royal Selection 11,

or...

The idea being: share the last of these discontinued gems only with a best mate.

I wanna' be your friend!!! -LOL What's your address, I will be right over!!!....

Great choices! -Piggy

Agreed with Alejandro... Something light to medium bodied and discontinued for some conversation or just silently contemplating together. No need for any screamers.

You have mate coming in from Overseas. He is a seasoned cigar lover and really has everything cigar wise.... and has tried most things in his life.

You have some great steaks to throw on the BBQ, you open some bottles of your favourite wine or spirit.

You ask if he would like a cigar post dinner.

"I would love one....you pick it for me. Anything would be perfect as long as we have the same"

Out of your current collection ........what would you pick and why? thinking.gif

You know Rob, I think you have hit on something here and hope you don't mind me morphing your thread a little.

I believe this really happens to you. Why, because if I were to visit you, I would say the exact same thing. "What are you having?" is a statement of respect and of course courtesy.

What is being conveyed here is that we know each other. We know something of what we like, and we have respect for each other's tastes even if we don't agree on them.

The act of offering a cigar is quite different than offering a drink, where various drinks are common choices. Cigar selection, and smoking together is an intimate affair. Most of us don't really look at it that way. But, when you think of the intentional bond of smokers, and there deliberate actions to smoke together, there are many reasons, but an intimate (non-sexual) bond is often a part of it.

So I wonder. What would you pick for me?

Compelling thread mate. Cheers. -Ray

I'd offer whatever is smoking the best at that particular time. I wouldn't be overly concerned about what impression i'm trying to make, as a true cigar lover knows that the camaraderie is what matters the most.

Right now I'd be offering an Upmann Mag 46 or Monte #2. Two cigars that currently have been outstanding and rarely disappoint.

I feel as though I need to clarify my previous post about busting out the vintage in a situation like that. No matter how many singles/5er's/boxes of vintage stuff I have, I rarely ever smoke one by myself... I always take them out for passes or gift them. I consider them my special occasion cigars and what is more special an occasion than getting together with a fellow lover of the leaf? Not for any show-off reasons, but because it is usually a unique experience and a fun conversation starter. The people aspect is, without a doubt, 95% of what has kept me interested in this hobby.

I thought this thread would be about a prophylactic that looks like a Partagas Salamones!