Where to get cigars in Manzanillo, Cuba ?

I have a friend going down to Manzanillo, Cuba in a couple weeks and want to ask her to bring me back a couple boxes (as a Canadian we're allowed 50 cigars tax/duty free) but I'm not sure if there are any reputable places down there.

I know some good LCDH's in Varadero and Havana, but Manzanillo isn't exactly a cigar place. Are there any LCDHs there? She's going by herself so actually, I doubt she'll leave the resort. She's only going to use up a vacation credit she got last year when she had to cancel one.

The only place she'll be going through that sells cigars MIGHT be the airport. Are they trustworthy or should I just tell her to avoid getting them altogether?

dark sky

her hotel/resort will have a "tienda" with cohiba monty ryj's at the very least.

any caracol store...same thing...cohiba monty ryj's.

make it a long list that includes several selections of the above marcas.

derrek

dark sky

her hotel/resort will have a "tienda" with cohiba monty ryj's at the very least.

any caracol store...same thing...cohiba monty ryj's.

make it a long list that includes several selections of the above marcas.

derrek

I second this. The selection may not be great at the resort, but they will have puros there and the prices should be pretty good, if not the same as LCDH. You will for sure be able to find Coh/Mon/RyJ. If you know what resort she's staying at then you can phone the resort, find out what cigars they have there and they might even be able to reserve a box or 2 for you. It's worth a shot, and it'll be a lot easier for your friend too.

Yah I've been to Cuba myself (Varadero and Havana) and obviously both have many LCDHs.

The Varadero airport had cigars that were more well-known to non-cigar enthusiasts (Cohiba, Monte, R&J, (cough cough) Guantanamera) so I might have to choose from the big names.

The list I made up for her to look for that I wanted was:

Diplimatico No.2 ($155 per box of 25)

Bolivar Royal Coronas ($130 box 25)

Trinidad Coloniales ($144 box of 24)

Hoyo Monterrey EPICURE NO.1 ($153.75 box 25)

H.Upmann Magnum 46 ($151.25 box 25)

Cohiba siglo IV ($243.75 box 25)

Romeo Y Julieta Exhibicion No.3 ($153.75 box 25)

Montecristo Edmundo (167.50 box of 25)

Cuaba Salomones ($96 box of 10)

But if there's no LCDH's around, I may have to go with some Cohiba robustos/siglos, maybe some Monte Edmundos if I'm lucky, or an R&J short churchill box wouldn't be bad. I love Cohiba but just can't afford an (on average) $100 extra per box.

But if the airport cigar stores are trustworthy, I'll add some more to my list from those brands (Cohiba/Monte/R&J). Who knows, maybe a nice box of Bolivar Royal Coronas might be found in an airport store. :P

The list I made up for her to look for that I wanted was:

Diplimatico No.2 ($155 per box of 25)

Bolivar Royal Coronas ($130 box 25)

Trinidad Coloniales ($144 box of 24)

Hoyo Monterrey EPICURE NO.1 ($153.75 box 25)

H.Upmann Magnum 46 ($151.25 box 25)

Cohiba siglo IV ($243.75 box 25)

Romeo Y Julieta Exhibicion No.3 ($153.75 box 25)

Montecristo Edmundo (167.50 box of 25)

Cuaba Salomones ($96 box of 10)

WOW, you must have a really nice friend. Make sure you give her a printed hard copy. I made a similar list for a friend via email and he wasn't able to access the email because the battery on his phone died. End result: no cigars for me. :thumbsdwn:

Great list, BTW.

Been 9 years since I was in Cuba, but at least in the Havana Jose Marti airport, the selection AND storage was rather poor. And, prices were higher than the "regular" stores.

WOW, you must have a really nice friend. Make sure you give her a printed hard copy. I made a similar list for a friend via email and he wasn't able to access the email because the battery on his phone died. End result: no cigars for me. :thumbsdwn:

Great list, BTW.

Hehe, well here in Canada we're only allowed 50 cigars tax/duty free so she'll be limited to 2 boxes on that list. I asked her to work her way top>down with only 1 box of each, as I'm always trying to expand the variety of my treasure chest.

Her husband (who is a Cuban) is also going down, but he's going to visit family and will be in a different part of Cuba. I'm tempted to ask him, although I don't know him as well. But he IS going to the Varadero area. Either Varadero or Matanzas... but either way, Varadero has at least 4 LCDHs that I know of.

4? I can only think of three. The one in the mall, the one on 63rd street, the one on 39th... and ? Last time I was there there was a casa del tobacco in the airport after security, but thats not really accessible...

4? I can only think of three. The one in the mall, the one on 63rd street, the one on 39th... and ? Last time I was there there was a casa del tobacco in the airport after security, but thats not really accessible...

and 31st and playa...my favorite cigar store in vara...although it may only be an lcdt now...was(and maybe still is)an lcdh.

funky little store...not much selection yet if you are going to find older cigars in vara it will be here.

have known the girls there and they have known me since '99...good friends(except with the one that refuses to let me into the walkin).

derrek

Oops.. yah you're right. I was thinking of the one I went to in Havana.

The two on the 'strip' in Varadero are these ones:

cuba2011cigars0004.jpg

cuba2011cigars0042.jpg