Why am I down on sancho panza?

Can't pinpoint why, but I have yet to smoke a SP that I thoroughly enjoyed. We've got a box of belicosos on the shelf with some nice age and besides the run of the mill RyJ's its the only box I never smoke out of.

Someone tell me what I'm missing.....if anything

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.630161,-87.069871

Dear Rushman,

whilst I can see that SP's are not for everybody,

I do like the fact that they are truly unique in their flavour profile -

if you have a minute, here is the link to

My review of an '05 Belicoso.

Rob and Smithy did a video review on a SP Corona too.

Cheers, Alex

Not missing anything...not a very good marca without significant years on them.

"Not a very good marca"… I just love that kind of assertion :daydream: Sancho Panza is a VERY good marca, when it's rightly blended and rolled.

I feel sorry for you if you never had a great SP or if you can't taste the subtilities of this blend, but this does not give you the right to bludgeon your opinion as if it were a proven fact…

As for "without significant years on them": this can be said for any cuban marca…

Because you did not smoke a good one, yet?

Regional Germany and Spain - brilliant marketing?

Regular production are fantastic with some age on it, except the non-existent ones - always a question to ask :wacko:

Glad to see you posting, Leo, especially when you agree with me! :lol3::waving:

When I was in Munich, I bought a box of SP RE' after we talked about them here. Dthey are hard to come by and I like by regionals from cities I visit. Reminds of my travels, share them with fellow FOH's etc.

When I got home they were not for me. The taste was like peatty scotch and very hay like? Not sure if it was the German profile or the SP, but have not pursued them since.

But of course to each their own!

I have a box of Melinos from '05, smoking one right now actually, and I would have to agree with you. They are ok but I doubt I'll ever buy another. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

I've actually never burned a Sancho! I've never got one in a bomb or trade, which says that people aren't buying them much. Anyway, I just got a box of cg from '02, so I'm looking forward to trying them out! I'm guessing 10-years should be enough age, even on a "needs significant age" cigar.

I had a RG Panatela Extra not long ago and liked it quite a lot, but it had a very short finish, which i unusual for Cubans in my experience (maybe I just choose stronger styles).

Might be a nice introductory cigar for that reason, but it was still quite good. I think it certainly has its place in the lineup. I have never tried the larger ones... would love to do so one day.

Dear Rushman,

whilst I can see that SP's are not for everybody,

I do like the fact that they are truly unique in their flavour profile -

if you have a minute, here is the link to

My review of an '05 Belicoso.

Rob and Smithy did a video review on a SP Corona too.

Cheers, Alex

Alex, thanks for the link...read the nice review. Will keep an open mind like I do on most things and hope to be pleasantly surprised someday soon with a SP I will enjoy.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631725,-87.070597

The secret ingredient is always time. These don't begin to scream with flavor until 15yrs. Less than 10yrs, they are subtle with long tannins. Less than 5yrs they are muted and sour. This I believe, is why you used to see so many Sanchos and Coronas Gigantes held in bond for 5-10yrs. I wonder if the final 2006 boxes are remaining on the shelves at this point.

They have stuck around for this very reason, because they are Tabacuba's best long game. Wrap some of these up tight and forget about them until then. I guarantee you'll say,"I wish I put more of these away."

Last summer I smoked a Belicosos that had about 6 years of age on it and It was a great cigar. Woody, notes of leather and coffee that made me wish I had boxes of them.. Sometimes you get surprised with a cigar that you have low expectations for and then WOW !

I used to love the SP Coronas Gigantes who was, imho, an oustanding Churchills (unfortunately, except for Spain where i heard you can still find some boxes, if you find one it is quite overpriced).

I've had some Sanchos that doesn't have to be shame compare to a Monte A.

The Molinos is a permanant member of my cabinet and agree that this cigar shouldn't be smoked before 4/5 years, like PLPC this cigar revealed himself with age (yes that's true all cigars but for these the change is really impressive).

As for the Belicosos i have discovered this cigar recently and found it quite honnest, though it was a young cigar (2 years).

It's a shame that habanos discontinued the Molinos and left SP with only 2 vitolas but what to expect when more famous brand like Punch and El Rey Del Mundo have already suffered the same fate.... :thumbsdwn:

I am a fan of SP's and have a few boxes resting/ageing but I just think it is one of those marques that you need to be positive about or not bother, what one person finds elegant and not over-powering another will find light or weak...I do wish they would do a Lancero/898 size as a regional or LE. I have suggested Beli's to a lot people as their first pyramid and they seem to go down well

I've just finished a glorious SP Belicoso from 2010. Strong, salty and tasty (especially in the last third). They seem to come in darker wrappers now than in the past and are indeed stronger than in my memory. That said the Molinos are a longtime favorite, a truly different smoke.

Best,

Michel