Can you wait?

I see more and more of these posts saying: you should wait 10 or 15 years for that cigar to be perfect. I mean, 15 years for a cigar is really long and don't get me wrong, I have some really old cigars and wines at home but, seriously, how many of you are able to wait that long?

I'm just wondering, unless you have like 5000 cigars, how you could pull it. Am I the only one like this?

I see more and more of these posts saying: you should wait 10 or 15 years for that cigar to be perfect. I mean, 15 years for a cigar is really long and don't get me wrong, I have some really old cigars and wines at home but, seriously, how many of you are able to wait that long?

I'm just wondering, unless you have like 5000 cigars, how you could pull it. Am I the only one like this?

I think you hit on the key to at-home aging - have lots and lots of cigars! Another way would be to smoke one every six months or so which would make a box last 12 - 25 years. Of course this supposes only 2 a year and no sharing!

takes time to build up an aged stock or lots of money if you want to do it rapidly.

trades are a good way of getting some older sticks as well as asking your vendor if any are available. (Rob recently had a vintage sampler sale).

I tend to grab a fiver out of each box and put them in long storage. If I have multiple boxes of the same year, I crack one and wrap the rest in saran wrap and ziplock to store them and make me think twice about how much work it would be to sneak a peek.

It's rather simple for me - buy more than you smoke and buy aged, where possible. The result for me is that I have a decent amount of 10+ year old stock. I have even been pretty lucky with the critical years 1999 - 2001.

well...its not as hard as you think...just buy more than you smoke...myself i buy about 3 tmes as many as i smoke...in a few years you got untouched boxes of 15 year old cigars.

dont gotta chase after vintage cigars...dont gotta buy a ton every month(my stash only increases by about 350 cigars a year)...just gotta have patience.

not trying to sound snooty or anything...just "what i do"

derrek

I usually buy two or three boxes of the same cigar (one to stock and one to rock) I also use the Czar online locker to keep my grubby little hands off them until they are aged for a while.

I have lots of patience except when it comes to cigars. If the first cigar from a box is great I have a very hard time not smoking thru it like a freight train.

That's why these days I just inspect the box when it comes and file it, no sampling........usually.

Don't fall into the trap that aging is going to make your cigars better......for most I don't think it does. I've never had a good cigar become great because I let it rest for many years. Honestly if a cigar is just good I'll smoke the box.

For me it's only great cigars that I think about laying down for an extended period.

Just let it happen, buy more than you smoke and in 15 years you'll be one of the people telling everyone to wait 15 years before you smoke a cigar.

Just buy more than you smoke... choose cigars which give you the 'ausdauer' feeling for ageing and have patience thinking about how great this cigars will be with just another year of patience. Repeat last for about 10 times or untill the cigars have goneto full blossoming. Works for me!

I have about 7 years worth of excess cigars based on how much I smoked and I am still buying . . .

I still have to wait the 10-15 years because it's newish stock. There is no shortcut, unless you are willing to pay double or even triple for aged cigars. However, by the time I'm 40 I won't be smoking anything but aged Cubans :) I hope they are all still good, LOL.

You guys have all my respect. I think i'm not just there yet. I love smoking a good cigar too much to wait on tem for that long.

Yes it would be nice if my cigars grow old. But, I'm a cigar smoker first and a cigar collector last. I may hold on to a box because I don't want to smoke it. But, I don't hold on to a box to intentionally age for 5-10 years.

Life is short and I don't have the best of habits.

I wait only if I have to. Otherwise the answer is No, I don't wait.