Have you ever had success with this kind of humidor?

In my cigar room I have this humidor:

glasshumidor.jpg

I have it on display mostly for decoration on a table and I bought it on craigslist a couple of years ago. It has cedar shelves, black humidification boxes (2) and a humidity gauge. It actually has a lock on the back.

I have the cigar boxes in there (they are empty) just to complete the look.

So my question is, have you ever seen this kind of humidor actually work?

Anyone?

Lisa,

it looks good and while the glass might let in too much heat/sun, it should be OK for "everyday" purposes if you manage the humidity ( don't know how fast you smoke ... :innocent:

Personally I have a similar one in my office underneath my desk for exactly the same "everyday" purpose and after 15 yrs. I'm quite happy with it ( I prefer to smoke drier so not too crazy about R/H).

Holds 3-4 boxes and some loose stuff.

Lisa,

it looks good and while the glass might let in too much heat/sun, it should be OK for "everyday" purposes if you manage the humidity ( don't know how fast you smoke ... :innocent:

Thank you Nino. This is what I am thinking... more for weekend cigars, not for the longer term cigars that are important to us.

Lisa,

Personally I have a similar one in my office underneath my desk for exactly the same "everyday" purpose and after 15 yrs. I'm quite happy with it ( I prefer to smoke drier so not too crazy about R/H).

Holds 3-4 boxes and some loose stuff.

I love the way all the cigar smokers in Europe jumped on those Cabanas which appeared a few months back in the Fatherland :D no idea who unearthed those boxes but they certainly have all seemed to find new homes quickly :D I think nearly every 'new in the humidor' picture from BOTL around Europe has included a box of them!

I wonder what other goodies will come out from the shadows in the future!

Lisa,

guess it's not the "look" of American ( or for that purpose : Canadian cedar ) that makes it ideal for keeping cuff links or socks or sweaters ... the fact is that only "Spanish" cedar is OK for keeping cigars.

Cedrela odorata is a very important timber tree, producing a lightweight fragrant wood with very good resistance to termites and other wood-boring insects, and also rot-resistant outdoors. The wood is often sold under the name "Spanish-cedar" (like many trade names, confusing as it is neither Spanish nor a cedar), and is the traditional wood used for making cigar boxes, as well as being used for general outdoor and construction work, paneling and veneer wood. It is also the standard wood used for the neck of "classical"-style guitars, as well as for the linings of the guitar (tiny blocks of wood that attach the top and bottom of the guitar to the sides). Note that it is now CITES-listed. It is also grown as an ornamental tree, and has become naturalized in some areas in Africa, southeast Asia and Hawaii. The other species have similar wood, but are less-used due to scarcity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrela

Here is a photo that shows to panels that go inside, separating areas as you want:

cedar.jpg

It smells divine BTW

*Edit later around 8:45*

The smell of that cedar did me in. I had bowls of water in there for a while and decided to put my cigars I have up here in. Not a huge supply, just loose ones I have here to smoke for the month.

filledhumi.jpg

As an addition point of info, and to keep this thread interesting, I had a talk with Anthony yesterday, the young guy who built our log home here north of Toronto. He has a passion about woods and creating with wood like no other.

I asked about red cedar and how I heard from reading here that the sawdust is toxic. I was thinking of having him build a humidor for us in some kind of funky log style to match our home. He built our beds, our bar and a very cool wine bottle holder.

He said ANY oily wood has potentially toxic saw dust but really more like if you are a professional carpenter, exposed everyday sanding large beams with belt sanders for a home or commercial project. For small single pieces like a humidor it is no big deal. You would wear a mask so you do not get it your mouth perhaps, but not a huge worry.

Looks great Lisa :clap:

From a storage perspective "Suck it and see". back in the early 2000's we would custom make locally about 500 humidors a year, the internals predominantly out of Mahoganny or Spanish Cedar. There is a subtley to the aroma of both these woods if they are of excellent quality.

Update question:

Ok so we are enjoying our new glass top humidor and the cigars seem to be doing fine. My question is, can too much cedar scent be a bad thing? The cigars smell great but they now definitely smell of cedar.

I undoubtably believe too much cedar is a bad thing. Spanish cedar saw dust is extremely bitter. Matter of fact the only cedar you get in a cab or dress box is a thin slice veneer the has been washed with so much water during the cutting process that it has very little mobile tannin left to affect the cigars. After working with a multitude of species over the past decade I've decided the most pleasant wood for tannin infusion is white oak. American white oak provides bourbon its signature aroma. French white oak instills a vanilla character. I built our bedroom set out of red oak and the signature aroma was that of a rose. Mahogany is flavor inert. I think it may be time to post the results of my wood tannin experiment.

That glass humidor set up looks pretty standard, Tony. I am not sure if the glass top affects the cigars inside or not... Look at all the glass exposure on my bread box!! LOL

Matthew just arrived with reinforcements to refill the shelves for me... Siglo VI's, cazadores, Edmundos and some various PC's just to keep me on planet earth.

I took out some of the extra cedar panels to tone down the scent.

And research in the threads told me in the stand up humidor I am thinking of building, red cedar walls are redundant since the cigars are already in cedar boxes. So the lovely maple walls will be fine.