Cigar Review: Cohiba Sublime EL 2004

Review: Cohiba Sublime EL 2004

Smoke Date: August 6 2012. 7PM EST

Construction : firm, no soft spots,

Initial Observations: Aroma at cold.cocoa, tobacco, coffee grounds, earth. Cold draw is firm. The wrapper imparts a taste of raw honey.

Vital Statistics:

2004 - Edición Limitada Limited Edition Series, 54 x 164 (6.5"), Double Robusto

post-6763-0-55939900-1344823479.jpg

Introductory banter:

I just recently acquired a single Cohiba Sublime. Rather than stare at it for years to come, I've decided there is no time like the present. If this cigar truly turns out to be a winner then it is better to find out sooner than later. Given that this is a 2004 release with an already aged wrapper of 2 years, we're looking at a cigar that is 8 – 10 years old. That's plenty of time to wait for such a magnificent cigar. And like I said, if this cigar is great, then there might be some time to track down a few more samples. If not, I can pass it by and at least say I tried one.

I decided to fire this up as a sort of "victory cigar" for a herf well done and for the amount of money that was raised for charity thanks to the generosity of fellow B/SOTL. Today was also fitting as we had a great visit with my mom at the retirment home. She finally resided herself to moving out of her house of 25+ years. This marks a little over 3 weeks she's been in and she's made a whole bunch of friends, is in great spirits and has even improved her health. She's lost some weight, her asthma doesn't bother her as much where she is as we found a home that is out in woods so to say.

Now, on to the cigar. I'm a tad late in posting this. It's been a busy week. I hope you enjoy the review.

First Third

Draw is firm, initial flavours are toasty tobacco, even with a punch it should not be this firm. Twangy tastes with a hint of honey follow. Very tangy draws to begin this jourey. Ldeather and earthy finish to most draws. The draw if firm but not a chore at the moment. This one is going to take some time to smoke. The burn is slightly askew, I'll see how it goes for the next while. Subtle sweetness on this third so far. Very enjoyable. I'm hoping it evolves and gives me more to enjoy. A bit of nuttiness appears, dry walnut, more tangy tobacco, this cigar is more subtle than sublime, dirty grey ash reveals a flaky character and a self correcting burn. A bit of roasted chestnut on the finish the past drew draws.

Surely a promise of evolution. My ash disintegrates next to my laptop on the way back to the ashtray. Sigh... more Cuban twang, a finish of walnut, not as dry, a swig of water to clean the palate, a quick touch up ends up in an awesome steak and mushroom aroma from the cigar. I've had that with my 2006EL Cohiba Piramides, certainly a sign of good pedigree and consistent leaf. Some honey sweetness returns. No tobacco buzz thus far I might add. The ash has grown dirtier, the draw the same too. This first third finishes off with some toasty tobacco. Very enjoyable thus far but not relevatory.

post-6763-0-98557400-1344823535.jpg

Second Third.

A bit of bitter chocolate a few draws into this third. Nice to see an evolution might be forthcoming. There is a rich earthy finish to the draws now. Some additional walnut, chestnut flavours exchange blows, very slight sweetness, no more bitter chocolate, such a shame, but still enjoyable. Earthiness returns and on the finish a very slight hint of pine on the palate. Never had that before. Mm..some nougat appears, very nice change of pace, slight pepper burn on the back of the throat, a rich burnt earth note on the finish. Nice pecan walnut follows the previous harsh draws. I lop off the ash to avoid another catastrophe. It comes off with a quick tap. Still plenty to go in this third. This cigar has somewhat "quieted down" these past few draws, some toasty tobacco, a bit of earth. But nothing special. A bit more nougat. More Cuban twang, a return of bitter chocolate, only more bitter than before. Some more pecan, some pepper on the finish. A bit more pepper, dried walnuts. Some good draws, richer tobacco flavours, nuttiness, some pepper burn. This cigar is reading my thoughts. I want more out of you dammit!! some honey sweetness returns. This is very promising. Just about wrapped up this third with some more toasty tobacco and nougat.

post-6763-0-89459000-1344823573.jpg

post-6763-0-55062100-1344823580.jpg

post-6763-0-45709100-1344823584.jpg

Third Third.

Some cedar notes, dry walnut. Tangy tobacco adds to the flavours. The cigar has stayed lit like a champ but the burn misbehaves. There is a bit of a breeze on my back deck which might account for that, so I wont be too critical. Cuban twang. More toasted tobacco. Some good flavours on this last third. I thought it might pick up in strength but it's been mild/medium bodied so far. The draw has improved immensely. Removed the bands, getting too close to the burn line. Loads of smoke. Really strong draws, lots of pepper. That bit of nastiness gave way to toasty tobacco and a hint of anise. Some medium earthy notes return with a twangy finish, some burnt almond on the draw. Interesting.

Flavours flattening out again. Medium bodied, toasty tobacco and dry walnuts. Tobacco buzz forming. Dry walnuts still reigning the palate though. Some pepper on the finish as well. A bit more pine on the finish to change things up. This cigar really is a monster smoke. Not much to write about at this point. Enjoyable cigar, but not spectacular. I wish I could say more in it's favour.

post-6763-0-20502500-1344823641.jpg

post-6763-0-43025300-1344823645.jpg

post-6763-0-68229400-1344823651.jpg

post-6763-0-17803900-1344823657.jpg

End time 10:00PM

Score: 90

Final Thoughts.

The Cohiba Sublime 2004 EL is probably a highly sought after item. The vitola itself is monstrous and it makes for a good 3 hour experience. As this was my one and only sample I was pulling for it to perform well. Alas, while very enjoyable it did not make a case for further investigation. If I can grab a few more I probably would, but not at too much expense if I could help it. I'd like to see how it ages on a longer scale. In comparison to a EL2006 Cohiba Piramide, this one fell short. I find the Piramide to be a flavourful, complex, zesty cigar. The Cohiba Sublime didn't share enough of those qualities to earn a higher grade. FWIW, this is the only one I've ever tried so I would not authoritatively conclude that these are not worth anyone's time and money. I have heard great things about them and I've finally had a chance to try one. Unfortunately, I cannot conclude that this is a spectacular smoke.

post-6763-0-85442200-1344823526.jpg

I went to my aristocrat as I knew I had a 'couple' of boxes of DC/sublimes in there somewhere, wanted to see how they were doing after reading the above. I was surprised to find more than that in there - must be getting senile as i was totally surprised. But very pleasantly.

As per maverickdrinker - wanted to try one as its been 18 months since i even looked at them , but the DCs smelt better so smoking two with a friend tomorrow in the rare Pacific NW sun before he takes 2 weeks vacation.

Will try and upload pics tomorrow ...

Disappointing to me. Great review though...nice , clear pics. On a cigar like this where the cigar already has a very high expectation I am wondering how you would rate it if say... you thought it was a Siglo VI... It should have left you wanting for more. Thanks for the review. I live vicarioulsy through you who can get such rare sticks. Keep 'em coming.