Interesting Article: Old Olympic sites

Now that the overblown amateur "sporting" event known as the Olympics is over. I ran across an article that examines what has become of some of the facilities that were built to host this two week folly. Yes. I am not a fan of the Olympics.

Article.

Very interesting to see the older sites but sad to see the more recent ones abandoned.

At least none of those buildings tried to kill anybody like our Big Owe here in Montreal...What a disaster.

:lol: Yeah..concrete chunks the size of delivery trucks falling down is not a good thing. Mob run construction industry FTW!!

Most of the 2012 are staying, some being turned over to private companies to run as sporting stadiums (West Ham/Spurs taking over the Olympics stadium as their home ground) and the athletes village being turned into flats etc.

I heard last night that some of the buildings such as the Basketball arena are being packed up and being sold to Brazil for their Olympics :rotfl:

I am a fan of the Olympics. I like to watch these athletes express their talents through sport.

However I understand what this article is saying about the abandonment of Olympic venues and it is a real shame. When I was driven by cab from the Munich airport to my hotel, I asked the driver what the tent/park/circus thing was that we were passing. He said it was the site of the 1972 Munich Olympics. I asked if that was where all those people were killed?

He said, "Well we don't really talk about that" and we then pointed to the BMW plant or whatever on the other side. I guess I don't know what I expected him to say.

Kind of left me with a bad taste in Germany...

I am a fan of the Olympics. I like to watch these athletes express their talents through sport.

However I understand what this article is saying about the abandonment of Olympic venues and it is a real shame. When I was driven by cab from the Munich airport to my hotel, I asked the driver what the tent/park/circus thing was that we were passing. He said it was the site of the 1972 Munich Olympics. I asked if that was where all those people were killed?

He said, "Well we don't really talk about that" and we then pointed to the BMW plant or whatever on the other side. I guess I don't know what I expected him to say.

Kind of left me with a bad taste in Germany...

When I was in Munich I thought about going to see it until I found out it was abandoned and there was really nothing to see. Those I talked to about it said it was very sad to see what has become of it all.

The Olympics is a boondoggle . . .

The IOC uses the "prestige" of the games to line it's pockets, while leaving the tax payers of the city/country who is host to foot the whole bill. I think the people and businesses of London figured out the hard way that hosting the Olympics is not good for business.

Hey Montreal, how does it feel to have finally paid off all of the debt you incurred when hosting your games . . . in 1976!?!

I can see why you are bitter Frank.. Canada Finished 36th overall in total medal count YIKES!!! No wonder.....

http://www.london201...ls/medal-count/

I really had no interest. Anyways, with a population pool of under 30 million....we can't expect too many medals. I am thankful that Toronto has lost out on previous Olympic bids. We are however the "proud" hosts of an upcoming "Pan Am Games" I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

I really had no interest. Anyways, with a population pool of under 30 million....we can't expect too many medals. I am thankful that Toronto has lost out on previous Olympic bids. We are however the "proud" hosts of an upcoming "Pan Am Games" I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

LOL! :perfect10:

The Olympics is a boondoggle . . .

The IOC uses the "prestige" of the games to line it's pockets, while leaving the tax payers of the city/country who is host to foot the whole bill. I think the people and businesses of London figured out the hard way that hosting the Olympics is not good for business.

Hey Montreal, how does it feel to have finally paid off all of the debt you incurred when hosting your games . . . in 1976!?!

Yeah, the 2004 Olympics pretty much sent Greece over the edge, debt wise. I enjoy the Olympics but it is amazing to me how much money cities are willing to shell out to host the event, with little to no hope of financial gain in return. In 2006, my wife and I went to Greece, and on a lark, took their new rail system up to the Olympic venues. They were vacant and already starting to look run down and that was only 2 years after the games!

Yeah, the 2004 Olympics pretty much sent Greece over the edge, debt wise. I enjoy the Olympics but it is amazing to me how much money cities are willing to shell out to host the event, with little to no hope of financial gain in return. In 2006, my wife and I went to Greece, and on a lark, took their new rail system up to the Olympic venues. They were vacant and already starting to look run down and that was only 2 years after the games!

On that note..why doesn't Greece decide to host the Olympics every four years instead? I'm sure they can snag the rights to the word "Olympics" given the history of the games and prove "prior art" in court. :P That'd be a sweet blow to the IOC. :P

On that note..why doesn't Greece decide to host the Olympics every four years instead?

If I'm not mistaken, this was the original intention when the Modern Olympics were begun in 1896. I can't remember if it was Athens that expected it to always be in Greece and de Coubertin (sp?) had no intention of it, or if de Coubertin wanted it in Athens every 4 years but the Greeks could not do it at that time.

Yea i was about to say aint that a body in the LA photo!!!

I live on the cusp of Olympic Park next to the old olympic village in Sydney and its a booming precinct. Close to great parks/sporting facilities and more and more large corporates moving into the area. U2/Madonna.....Lady Gaga have played here/V8 motor racing and more, Glad the story here is different