Cigar Review: Ramon Allones Mille Fleurs

Ramon Allones Mille Fleurs

Box Code: EAR NOV 02

I had a nice Saturday afternoon to myself. I've been on a bit of an RA kick so I reached for something special. A great BOTL graced me with a 2002 Ramon Allone Mille Fleurs.

post-6763-0-44027700-1347245931.jpg

Aroma art cold: From head to foot an intense milk chocolate with a hint of nutmeg. The best I've ever experienced. I was at a loss. Do I smoke this? Or do I eat it!?

Construction: Solid cigar no soft spots. The wrapper has a rustic look. Boxed press. Visible veins that seem to burst forth. A bit bumpy but I'm game. Cold draw seems firm. Time to light up.

First Third

Starting time:4:40PM EST

Chocolate. Which is great. The draw is very good. Lovely blue smoke. Some toasty tobacco. Some almond nuttiness. Burn line excellent. A tanniny dryness. Correction. Burn line blustery. The wrapper is opening like a flower ever so slightly. Some nougat. Very tasty little cigar. Toasty tobacco. The aroma of chocolate and roared nuts take turns. In the smoke. Chocolate flavour on the finish now. Ash falls on its own while resting in ashtray. Nutmeg and toasty tobacco. So far the first third has been excellent. Very enjoyable.

post-6763-0-99273100-1347245935.jpg

post-6763-0-57651400-1347245940.jpg

Second Third

And. It more chocolate starts it off. But upfront not on the finish. The chocolate aroma is coming off in the smoke as well. Burn line fixed itself. The chocolate taste is much more pronounced. Less smoke billowing at this point and the burn is sharp now. The ash is dirty grey with a tinge of yellow. Toasty tobacco takes over for several draws. Not to worry. Chocolate returns soon enough. Ash is very flaky. A big of coffee creme emerges. Very subtle but there. Ash falls off. Some roasted nut flavors. The cigar is really starting to show some character halfway through this third. Toasted almond. Some sweet tobacco. Very unique. Tangy tobacco as well. Some slight pepper and beaniness. Quite complex for a machine made cigar. Oh man..hazelnut. Tha't's a treat! Dried nut flavors follow. Some tobacco strength makes its presence.

Third Third.

post-6763-0-85414000-1347245956.jpg

post-6763-0-50319100-1347245961.jpg

Some stronger tobacco flavors dominate. Toastiness at the forefront. Lots more smoke too. The cigar band is hard to get off. It does so but get mangled in the process. Rat bastard of a fruit fly landed my white wine. Not much left. Chocolate returns! More nuttiness. Slight vegetal notes as well. Interesting cigar. Some harsh notes. Lots of pepper in the back of the throat. Great cigar a bit different from the Ramon Allones I'm used to. No stewed fruit or cedary notes, etc. Lots of toasty tobacco. Strong at this point. For a 10YO cigar it has plenty of oomph. A bit of sweetness returns. Pepper is very cayenne like. I recently found that on the RA Petite Unicos. Body is a bit less strong. Lots of toasty tobacco. While this last half of this third is not as exciting, overall the cigar has been a joy to smoke. It's almost 70 minutes since I started and I can't fault it's performance. Getting chilly. Strong vegetal notes. Interesting. About to nub this stick and now I taste familiar Ramon Allones.

Conclusion.

Finish Time: 6:10PM EST

post-6763-0-84113900-1347245966.jpg

This was an absolute joy to smoke! I cannot stress how powerful and intoxicating the chocolate aroma was. Maybe being in the cello helped? Who knows? What I do know is that chocolate aroma was present the whole time even if I didn't taste it for 100% of the time. I really had a great relaxing time smoking this. I usually do, but this one was such a surprise.

SCORE: 95

As a "cheap" machine made cigar, this RA really took me by surprise. For such a "modest" vitola and price point (at least back then) this stick delivered in spades. For the entire duration it maintained my interest and took me on a journey. Another crime and shame that this can no longer be found.

Great review, Frank! :thumbsup:

Let no one say that Mille Fleurs and Belvederes are cigars not worth trying out!

Got some Belvederes waiting for me in Germany but no luck finding any Mille Fleurs :(

Nice to see a review of an old machine made. Thanks for that! I've smoked through most of a box with the same box code the last two months, and they are very tasty when they are on. Unfortunately it's a little hit or miss with these. Sometimes they burn very well and are a joy to smoke, with great toastiness, but they can just as easy be off. Mine may be a bit humid still, so they may still perk up!