iPhone 5

iPhone 5 - Will you be getting one?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've owned every iPhone that's existed BUT won't be getting the iPhone5.

I knew months back it was going to be 'Much the same' and figured I'd broaden my horizons and have tried the Samsung S3. I'M GLAD I MADE THAT CHOICE because I love this phone!perfect10.gif

I'm not saying the S3 is better or he iPhone 5 is better, I guess for me, the S3 is better for multitasking, it has a beautiful rick Super AMOLED LED screen, an amazing long lasting battery and I have the 32 gb version which also has a micro SD card slot so I can upgrade another 64gb!2thumbs.gif

Whatever you chose (DON't chose Blackberry), it's all about enjoyment and just think, no sooner you have the latest, it's obsolete in another 6 months as the newer versions are on their way.

....But get the S3.whisper.gifyes.gif

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an HP laptop for work and a MacBook at home. Have used PCs since the very first PC XT and Macs since the Mac IIci. I am fluent in both and both have their little quirks and advantages. But for sheer quality of experience (meaning up through OSX 10.7 and Win7), the Apple ecosystem is simply more accessible and well put together. Now if you can accept my assessment without calling me a fanboi, especially since I don't regard myself as such...I'm an engineer, then we can keep on talking.

Like in cigars, use what you like, because you need to like what you use.

Wilkey

I am an Apple computer guy too. You can call me a fan... not a groupie! I got my first Apple, late 80's Mac II. Older than some of our members... I know! Back then if you had eyes on doing some desktop publishing at home, Apple was it! I owned Aldus PageMaker V1.0. -LOL

While I consider myself a loyal patron, look at how long I have put up with BS from the Cuban cigar monopoly... <_< I don't really fawn over computer products. I own a couple of Macs today and retired my Mac PowerMac 8500 only when they changed the OS on me and stopped supporting it. I actively used that computer for 10 years!!! With constant upgrades to my PC's, and I have always built my own off a premium motherboard (typically ASUS) and the best processors, at 1/3 the clock speed my Mac would still work better with Adobe software than the PC.

I type this on a MacMini.

... Oh yes, the topic of phones!!! -LOL Can you actually make a call on an iPhone or is it just to screw with instead of eating your peas??? :fuel: I have no interest in Gameboys and such so the 'smart phone' is a time squanderer to me. Yes, yes, yes, I am sure that it is important for your business!!!

I have a Nextel, water resistant, armored flip phone. I have stepped on it, sat on it, dropped it into concrete (wet), into a horse trough and left it in the bed of my truck for days at a time!!! It makes calls. It has a roster of friends numbers in it. I DON'T TEXT! I have little or no interest in an iPhone unless someone is going to buy it for me and pay the bill. I would probably be afraid to use it... as I might look like a trend follower... -LOL Considering my eyes, I would likely burn a cigar hole in it with the end of my cigar while trying to find the latest nude pictures of Paris Hilton...

Back to Macs for a moment. Last month my MacBook Pro melted down. I took it to the Apple store to see what could be done. I am on a budget and can't afford a new one. The computer was 4 years old by the way. I had heard that this Mac had some issues with the Nvidia video processor and I lived with a couple of glitches rather than take my computer to some butcher at a computer store. But, this was the last straw. I scrubbed the HDD, don't want some dope reading all my emails about CC's and gave them the machine. Low and behold I had the video issue and they said that they would replace the logic board; for free! I said okay and in three days they had it back to me.

Hmmm... My back lights for the keyboard no longer worked! A simple mistake I assumed so I took it back. They tried to fix it while I waited but they said that the computer had various other issues and that they would like to send it back to Apple to be repaired at no additional cost to me. I said okay... After 10 days I called and asked about my computer. Some jackass told me that he had called me 10 days before and asked to send it to Apple. You know the story already, and I had given that permission, in person, ten days prior. While I don't normally really perform verbal bellicose acts to store employees I really chewed him a new hole! I hung up and called his boss. I got a pleasant young lady on the phone, apologized in advance for being rude and told here how poorly her service department was run! She told me Apple would buy me a new computer!!! Yep, I spend a couple hundred dollars for a few upgrades and the nice folks took my old computer, gave me back my aftermarket 7200 rpm HDD and gave me a new MB Pro... I did not have Apple care or any extended warranty. These people simply believe in good customer service for their great products.

Yeah... I am still using my MacMini. Truthfully, I am a little afraid to put a scratch on my new MacBook Pro... -LOL iPhones... kinda' like EL's, I could care less, except that I am glad that they make Apple more profitable so that they can still make the worlds best personal computers.

Cheers! -Piggy

I got a 4s earlier this year and I'm quite happy with it. My previous (and first) iPhone was the 3gs, which my wife still uses. Now that the 5 is out, my wife plans to upgrade, but she'll be looking for the price drops on the 4s. It's plenty of phone for us. I like that (on AT&T) we can use voice and data at the same time. The LTE is not an issue for us, as all it really does for most people is ensure horrible battery life.

We plan to do a LOT of world travelling when I retire next year; we have a couple of old Motorola Q9H four-band phones that we've gotten unlocked. We'll buy sim cards in countries we visit and just have a great time. While in the US, we'll stick with our iPhones. I'm sure that our mobile needs will be much different once we get on the road full-time.

The camera in the 4s is quite amazing; it's the only camera I carry.

I can say this as selling mobile phones is my bread and butter, i work for vodafone and my job has been pandemonium for 2 days now. Iphones and samsung galaxy s3s are our main sellers.

Ive repeatey tried my best to shy away from this debate as they are always so predictable, the hatred and abhorration some people feel for apple is worrying, the only thing worse than the word 'fanboy' is engaging with people that are fond of using it.

Piggy makes some great points, ive been using a mac or years as i have always used one for my music production, its got to the point where anybody that has an apple product is called a fanboy, i use macs because they are better than pcs, period. More reliable, better built with a better os. If you can build a faster computer for less than half the price of my macbook air then good for you, if it makes you happy then brilliant.

The iphone 5 arguments presented by some people are ludicrous. The samsung galaxy s3 may do all the things an iphone 5 does, but its a crudley made chunk of cheap plastic running the most fragmented and unreliable mobile OS available. The iphone 5 is not the revolutionary device that those detractors wanted it to be, but apple hasnt marketed or made claims of that nature. The fit and finish of the iphone 5 is like that of a bespoke swiss watch, compared to the tv remote build quailty of samsung and early htcs.

And yes...

Im getting one lol.

...the hatred and abhorration some people feel for apple is worrying...

Why? We're not arguing about the earth being round or some other absolute and provable fact yet you speak as if everyone should recognise that Apple make universally superior products. Their products aside, Apple have had a lot of bad press this year so I think it's natural that there are some negative feelings towards them.

...its got to the point where anybody that has an apple product is called a fanboy, i use macs because they are better than pcs, period...

Sorry Stevie but I did find this funny, you complain about people using the term fanboy and then in the next breath make the kind of sweeping statement that leads to people being called fanboys in the first place. You can't simply say that macs are better, they may be better for you but they are certainly not better for me. That's coming from someone who runs the IT division of a global company if you want to bring our jobs into it.

The iphone 5 arguments presented by some people are ludicrous. The samsung galaxy s3 may do all the things an iphone 5 does, but its a crudley made chunk of cheap plastic running the most fragmented and unreliable mobile OS available.

It's the same problem here again, you complain that arguments against the iPhone 5 are "ludicrous" then go and make ludicrous and unsubstantiated claims of your own. I've owned iPhones and I've owned the S2 and S3 and tbh I've never had an issue with the build quality of either. Again I happen to think that Android is the best mobile OS, if I didn't I wouldn't use it, but I recognise that it's a very subjective thing. I'd love to know why you think Android is worse that Windows Mobile, Symbian and other Java based operating systems?

I'm not sure if your goal was to try and stop the arguing or add to the flames but this faux war will continue to rage when arguments are presented like this. I don't hate Apple (only iTunes), I just happen to prefer the products of their competitors for what I feel are many valid reasons. That doesn't make me right or wrong, just another consumer.

Why? We're not arguing about the earth being round or some other absolute and provable fact yet you speak as if everyone should recognise that Apple make universally superior products. Their products aside, Apple have had a lot of bad press this year so I think it's natural that there are some negative feelings towards them.

Sorry Stevie but I did find this funny, you complain about people using the term fanboy and then in the next breath make the kind of sweeping statement that leads to people being called fanboys in the first place. You can't simply say that macs are better, they may be better for you but they are certainly not better for me. That's coming from someone who runs the IT division of a global company if you want to bring our jobs into it.

It's the same problem here again, you complain that arguments against the iPhone 5 are "ludicrous" then go and make ludicrous and unsubstantiated claims of your own. I've owned iPhones and I've owned the S2 and S3 and tbh I've never had an issue with the build quality of either. Again I happen to think that Android is the best mobile OS, if I didn't I wouldn't use it, but I recognise that it's a very subjective thing. I'd love to know why you think Android is worse that Windows Mobile, Symbian and other Java based operating systems?

I'm not sure if your goal was to try and stop the arguing or add to the flames but this faux war will continue to rage when arguments are presented like this. I don't hate Apple (only iTunes), I just happen to prefer the products of their competitors for what I feel are many valid reasons. That doesn't make me right or wrong, just another consumer.

Where do you stand on fanboys then? Anti-fanboy, agnostic-fanboy, or ambivalent-fanboy... ??? -LOL Just yankin' your chain mate.... :jester: -Piggy

I like my apple products because of the operating systems and the fact that they work together seamlessly (most of the time). I won't be buying a 5 any time soon as I am not up for an upgrade till next year.

The arguments are always fun to watch though.

No apple or pc based product is either all good or all bad. It's impossible to say one is better than the other 100% of the time as they both have their pros and cons so the whole THIS IS BETTER THAN THAT argument is moot.

Also, you can get third party ram for apple products (except for the retina Mbp or mbair) so the cost of ram argument someone was making was flat out incorrect.

I like my apple products because of the operating systems and the fact that they work together seamlessly (most of the time). I won't be buying a 5 any time soon as I am not up for an upgrade till next year.

The arguments are always fun to watch though.

No apple or pc based product is either all good or all bad. It's impossible to say one is better than the other 100% of the time as they both have their pros and cons so the whole THIS IS BETTER THAN THAT argument is moot.

Also, you can get third party ram for apple products (except for the retina Mbp or mbair) so the cost of ram argument someone was making was flat out incorrect.

There is no right answer for all people that is for sure. While I prefer Mac computers, I prefer to run AutoCAD on a PC. AutoCAD is native to that platform and I prefer to run it there. CAD is not the same on a Mac as far as I am concerned. Even AutoCAD for Mac seems "toyish" to me.

A large part of this argument is in what you use your computers for and how well you use specific programs on those computers.

I just use a phone to make calls. That makes all smartphones unnecessary items for me, Apple or otherwise.

Cheers! -Piggy

Where do you stand on fanboys then? Anti-fanboy, agnostic-fanboy, or ambivalent-fanboy... ??? -LOL Just yankin' your chain mate.... :jester: -Piggy

Haha, I'm a reformed fanboy who saw the futility of his actions! If competition drives the advancement of technology then ultimately everyone's a winner.

I wasn't really familiar with the term "fanboy" until I came upon this thread. Great new word to add to the lexicon. Also find the urban dictionary's definitions highly amusing and helpful if we try to identify who is a fanboy or not, copied and pasted as follows:

Fanboy

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase

"Object of affection = Best Ever"

However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it.

Troll the internet to spread the gospel.

Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it.

Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies.

"Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever!"

"Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!"

"Linux is the best OS ever!"

"Xbox is the best console ever!"

"Dragonball Z is the best show ever!"

The sad thing is, fanboys don't realize, that these companies that fuel their passion, don't really give a damn about us. To me, defending a multi-national corporation like their your own family, is ridiculous. These organizations don't come to your house and help you when you're sick, they don't help you move, or drive you to the airport. They don't support you in any way. It's a business, not a friendship. As soon as you can no longer buy their product, you disappear to them.

Styler:

i can genuinely appreciate that you are indeed looking at arguments from an unbiased standpoint.

However...

My comments about the majority of non apple users having innate hatred for anything apple can be substantiated by previous posts made in this thread.

You commented that my use of "i use macs because they are better than pcs, period" was an ironically fanboy statement. Like i said I don't use the word fanboy and don't subscribe to whitewashing people with that label. While I completely agree that there are people that buy in to the glow of apple products rather than the products themselves, I genuinely believe that apple make superior laptops and phones. I say this because i've used both for years now and have came to this conclusion based on merit, nothing else.

You said my claims of apple build quality being superior to that of samsung are unsubstantiated, i find this strange as you yourself have stated you've used iphones and samsung galaxy s2 and 3s and have had no issues with both, just because you haven't had any issues with your samsung does not mean its made well or should be considered better than the iPhone. I honestly don't need think I need to elaborate on my point any further but i can categorically say that iphone build quality is and always has been better than any commercial mobile phone on the market. I speak from experience as I sell thousands of phones a month and its my livelihood to know these things.

while I genuinely thank you for your input i respectfully decline an invitation to discuss with you my feeling that android is an inferior operatiing system, such an argument would be futile and I don't honestly have the time to list all of its flaws lol. :rotfl:

The argument about build quality is pretty null when something like 90% of the worlds laptops are made in the same seven or eight super sweatshops in the Far East!

Mr Chin doesn't know if he's soldering a circuit which will go into an Apple product or a Microsoft based one, he just does his 16 hour shift and tries to resist the urge to throw himself off the factory roof on his way out!

nets.jpg

anti-suicide-nets-Foxconn-factory-Hebei.png

15384_Foxconn_Suicide_Nets.jpg

while I genuinely thank you for your input i respectfully decline an invitation to discuss with you my feeling that android is an inferior operatiing system, such an argument would be futile and I don't honestly have the time to list all of its flaws lol. :rotfl:

I'm sorry but your laughing out loud at the futility of Android as as OS over Apple's, whilst declining to offer any explanation marks you out as a fanboy. The late Mr Jobs would have been proud, as he wanted to go "thermo-nuclear on Android" (or something like that - you can no doubt correct me having read his autobiography!). Go Apple go Apple - iPhone rules okay...