iPhone 5

iPhone 5 - Will you be getting one?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it about phone discussions that bring out the worst in people :rolleyes:

Damn, I had a feeling this would occur when posting the thread but I genuinely wanted to put the feelers out on the new iPhone 5.

Like I said, I'm a huge Apple fanboy at best but like yourself, the battery on the 4S is much to be desired.

For myself, I chose the S3 because it suits my mobile usage style (If there is such a thing) and the battery life runs rings around iPhone. For me that's the biggest thing hence why I went the Samsung S3.

My wife on the other hand, never owned an iPhone, only asked me yesterday which one to go for, the S3 or the iPhone 5, I said, go the iPhone 5. For her style of use etc, teh iPhone is perfect for her, much easier and user friendly IMO.

I will stick to my 4s for the time being rather put my $ into a new MBP

4s takes pretty good pics

Damn, I had a feeling this would occur when posting the thread but I genuinely wanted to put the feelers out on the new iPhone 5.

Like I said, I'm a huge Apple fanboy at best but like yourself, the battery on the 4S is much to be desired.

For myself, I chose the S3 because it suits my mobile usage style (If there is such a thing) and the battery life runs rings around iPhone. For me that's the biggest thing hence why I went the Samsung S3.

My wife on the other hand, never owned an iPhone, only asked me yesterday which one to go for, the S3 or the iPhone 5, I said, go the iPhone 5. For her style of use etc, teh iPhone is perfect for her, much easier and user friendly IMO.

Can you get the Motorola Android phones in your neck of the woods? If so, and if battery life is the top priority, the RAZR Maxx (and upcoming Maxx HD) have very impressive battery performance.

Can you get the Motorola Android phones in your neck of the woods? If so, and if battery life is the top priority, the RAZR Maxx (and upcoming Maxx HD) have very impressive battery performance.

Hey. I've heard they are a great smart phone but then again, there are so many innovative devices out there. Which is best comes down to individual user requirements.

We do get Motorolla down here in Australia too by the way. :thumbsup:

motorola-droid-hd-verizon.jpg

Every motorola phone I've had has been junk.

If I were to not get an iphone the lumia 920 would be in top running but they had to fudge pics and video which is real shady. Problem is iphone integrates seemlessly with my imac and itunes it's a no brainer (besides being so intuitive and just executing so well).

Every motorola phone I've had has been junk.

If I were to not get an iphone the lumia 920 would be in top running but they had to fudge pics and video which is real shady. Problem is iphone integrates seemlessly with my imac and itunes it's a no brainer (besides being so intuitive and just executing so well).

I am very curious about the real-world battery life of the iPhone 5. My iPhone 4 has been abysmal :(

Like I stated above somewhere, I will be getting an iPhone 5 through work (eventually - I am not in a rush) so I can only hope they've improved on that aspect. Bigger screen, LTE, and faster processor do not bode too well, given the battery can't be much bigger.

Lumia runs Windows Phone 8 which isn't exactly a widespread OS ;)

Impressive battery life? That's a bit of an understatement. With a 3300mAh battery, that thing should last for an eternity compared to the iPhone 5 or S3.

I am very curious about the real-world battery life of the iPhone 5. My iPhone 4 has been abysmal :(

Like I stated above somewhere, I will be getting an iPhone 5 through work (eventually - I am not in a rush) so I can only hope they've improved on that aspect. Bigger screen, LTE, and faster processor do not bode too well, given the battery can't be much bigger.

Lumia runs Windows Phone 8 which isn't exactly a widespread OS ;)

My current 4 is over 2 years old and I get exceptional battery life but I'm not a heavy user.

Oz, those pics are really blurry, can't see what you're trying to photograph. I think you need a new S3... :fuel::stir:

That's probably because they were taken at night :D

Fuzz you know what side of the fence I am on this :DB)

Great thread you have got going here Mika,just as volatile as politics :rotfl:

Shame you've crossed to the Dark Side :stir::hole:

I have stood in line for every iphone. I was first in line for the original iPhone here in Chicago... I'm one of the crazy ones. But this is the first time I'm not chomping at the bit waiting for it's new release. The marketing Apple uses on these phones is phenomenal. So much so, that it'll make you spend 2 days in line waiting to get it LOL. It's just that, marketing and they know what you want to hear. Users who want to know that this new iphone is better than the last... and can you really accept life using older technology? LOL

For 5 iphones now I've heard it's "faster and thiner and lighter and better battery and strong and more precise..etc" Diminishing returns after a while. Don't get me wrong, the iphone 5 is the best iphone ever made... but by being the best... is starting to loose it's value. Thinking of skipping a generation or two. I bought into the replacement program on the 4S so I know I'll have a working phone for 3 years LOL, and I'll get the BIGGEST upgrade to come to iPhone.. iOS6.

I have to question the increased size of the screen though, guess I'll have to get some hands on time with it. Steve Jobs wrote in his autobiography that he made the screen size what it is.... the 3.5".... because it allowed the average user to hold the phone and reach the entire screen with their thumb... from corner to corner. Any larger and it would require the use of two hands. This much is true. My friends who have the large samsung and motorola can't flip on their phone and navigate it with one hand. It's neat to understand the thought put into particular aspects of the iPhone such as just that.

I find myself beginning to understand that, it's just a phone LOL. If I put half as much though into what I wear daily maybe I'd look halfway decent LOL Daily... I use it to make phone calls, check email, text message, check traffic and weather. Other is probably pictures and movies. That just about explains 90% of what I use my phone for on a daily basis. And these tasks can be done by any phone...

the poll doesn't cover the option "I'm the biggest ANDROID fanboy/fangirl". I've never had an iphone, but my cell phone service in los angeles, ca under SPRINT absolutely is Horrendous. Contract was up last week, and I didn't want the Samsung Galaxy S3 as a lot of people I know already have it. I prefer to have the newest phone out, usually an android, but didn't want to wait for the Optimus G from LG.. quad core, 2gb of ram, huge screen.

The reason for the switch was.. Sprint has the worse service ever so I was deciding between Verizon(Largest 4g LTE footprint in US) or Att (Second largest 4g LTE footprint in US)

in the end.. I chose Att. The Verizon Iphone 5 doesn't allow simultaneous data and voice, i.e. no talking on speaker phone while using turn by turn navigation, which is a dealer breaker for me.

I will take the second best provider so that I can make a phone call while checking movie times/directions.

The reason for the switch was.. Sprint has the worse service ever so I was deciding between Verizon(Largest 4g LTE footprint in US) or Att (Second largest 4g LTE footprint in US)in the end.. I chose Att. The Verizon Iphone 5 doesn't allow simultaneous data and voice, i.e. no talking on speaker phone while using turn by turn navigation, which is a dealer breaker for me.

That limitation is for any CDMA carrier. Apple's explanation is that the second antenna is used to improve overall call reception, as opposed to using it for simulatenous voice and data like other phones. It just depends on your needs. If you are in a area with crappy reception, this is a really good feature, but if you need data on calls, you're screwed.

Of course, Apple could install a third antenna if they were really interested in fixing the problem.

Australian Telcos Shun Midnight iPhone 5 Launches

iphone-launch-carriers-640x360.png

An iPhone launch brings with it a special kind of madness. People queue (or pay others to) for days on end to be one of the first to get their hands on a new device, and to celebrate this descent into shameless consumerism (which we’re all for), Australian telcos like to hold midnight launch parties. This year, though, will be one of the first that a flagship iDevice launch goes without a midnight launch.

We’ve been asking around, and found that Apple fans wanting to get their drink on before the device hits shelves will be left out in 2012.

Vodafone has confirmed that it’ll be doing no such event this year, with focus instead put on shipping out preorders from 8am AEST on Friday. The same is true of Optus, and Telstra.

Stores will be opening early at 8am to get pre-orders out of the way as quickly and efficiently as possible, though, so if you’re queueing, you’ll be waiting an extra eight hours for your iPhone 5.

What’s a few hours compared to a week of waiting, though?