iPhone 5

iPhone 5 - Will you be getting one?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hilarious iPhone 5 Parody Video Tells The Truth About The iPhone 5

When you watch Apple talk about any of its products, it’s always the same: ridiculously passionate comments about the tiniest details, inspirational music that hypnotises you to open your wallet, and a lot of catchy phrases and buzzwords that you’re not even sure are real. But it’s not all unicorn steel and rainbow glass with the iPhone 5!

This parody of the iPhone 5 promo video by John Elerick is the hilarious truth of what Apple really wants to say.

NOTE: Guys and gals, please note this is just light hearted fun. ^_^:clap:

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to wait in an iPhone 5 line

120919080512-new-york-apple-store-line-story-top.jpg

(Source CNN) -- Want to get an iPhone 5 on Friday?

You'll probably need to wait in line. Or pay someone to do it for you.

Hipster-looking shoppers already have plopped down in folding chairs outside Apple's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York.

And in San Francisco, a man working through a micro-tasking company (more on what that means in a second) has been diligently waiting in line, for a price, since Monday.

"You're going to wait here until Friday? God watch over you," a stranger told that person, who was using a service called TaskRabbit, according to his Twitter feed.

Massive demand awaits Friday's iPhone 5 sale

TaskRabbit nabbed the first-in-line spot to try to promote its online service that allows people to pay someone else to do a menial task for them. In this case, according to CNET, you can find people online who for about $40 to $150 will stand in line to purchase the iPhone 5 on your behalf.

That sort of idea isn't all that new, and line-standers also are offering their services on craigslist. "If you are looking to buy the iPhone 5 when it is released, but not looking to stand in the line. I'll do it for you!" wrote one person in Los Angeles. "I'll get in line at 6 a.m. for 40 bucks. Camp overnight for 70," wrote another stander, this one from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Other people are posting craigslist ads asking others to stand in line for them. One such ad, in Los Angeles, says the patron will offer the stander "a reasonable amount" ... "and on top of that, I'll even buy you breakfast."

For those who don't want to spend even more than the hefty price tag for the iPhone, but do want to pick up a phone on Friday, perhaps the line is the way to go.

Unless you hopped online within the first hour or so last Friday, pre-ordered iPhones aren't expected to arrive for weeks.

But plan to get up early on Friday morning.

While opening-day iPhone lines vary by location -- what passes as early enough at a Radio Shack in Nevada may not work for an Apple store in New York -- analysts generally say advance consumer demand for the iPhone 5 is outpacing previous models. Early reviews of the phone have been positive.

Apple recently announced it had received 2 million pre-orders for the new phone, which is taller, faster, lighter and slimmer than the previous model, the iPhone 4S. That's about double what the company experienced for the previous iPhone, Apple said.

That could foreshadow long lines. Or it could mean more consumers are skipping the line-waiting game and, instead, have chosen to order the phone online.

iPhone 5 pre-order shipping dates pushed back

The line waits are part exercise in extreme consumerism, part homage to Apple.

Last year some of the line-standers made pilgrimages to Apple stores in part out of a sense of tribute to Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who died a week before the phone went on sale. Fans set up mini-memorials in his honor at some Apple stores.

To get a sense of what the most dedicated Apple fans are willing to go through, check out this chart from The Atlantic, which shows the longest Apple gadget waits.

If you're just in the market for purchasing the new iPhone, not the in-line circus, there are several other stores that plan to carry the iPhone 5 on Friday.

They include AT&T, Sprint and Verizon stores, as well as select Best Buy, RadioShack, Target and Walmart locations. Check with stores in your area for details.

Still want to brave the Apple store? Doors open at 8 a.m. local time Friday in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK. The iPhone 5 will roll out to 22 more countries on September 28.

iPhone 5 cases unveiled by Proporta and Ted Baker

3269925308_6ef2cc2270.jpg

Proporta shows off its latest range of Ted Baker iPhone 5 cases ahead of the official launch of the next generation Apple smartphone

With the iPhone 5 just days away from hitting Apple Stores, case-makers Proporta has given T3 a look at its latest range of Ted Baker cases for the new iPhone.

The Brighton-based company who has worked with the fashion house on previous case collections for the iPhone 4 and 4S is bringing some of the iconic Ted Baker London design traits in its latest collaboration which includes a leather style flip case and pouch to give that Apple smartphone a stylish makeover.

xl_Ted_Baker_iPhone_5_6.jpg

xl_Ted_Baker_iPhone_5_case_27.jpg

The cases will of course be part of numerous manufacturers hoping to keep the bigger screen-toting, iOS 6-packing iPhone 5 box fresh when the smartphone officially launches on Friday September 21st.

The Ted Baker Leather Style pouch which comes in brown or navy will set you back £34.95 while the Leather Style Flip case will be priced in at a more expensive £39.95 and comes in black and tan colours.

xl_Ted_Baker_iPhone_5_7.jpg

xl_Ted_Baker_iPhone_5_cases_1.jpg

While you decide whether to make the upgrade or embrace iOS for the first time, read our iPhone 5 review and see our iPhone 5 unboxing video below to get the T3 verdict on the new Apple smartphone.

iPhone 5: First Hands-On

Source: Gizmodo

iphonehandson1-410x231.jpg

It's had people literally lining up around blocks all over the world, and now it's finally here in our hot little hands. Live vicariously through us as we go hands on with the new iPhone 5.

The first thing you notice about the iPhone 5 is the weight. Ever picked up your current phone without a battery in it? That's the feeling you get when you pick up the iPhone 5. It's almost a tad disconcerting. Did Apple sacrifice a bigger battery for weight? Perhaps we'll never know.

iphonehandson4-640x360.jpg

It's not noticeably taller when you pull it out of the box, but when you hold it side by side with an iPhone 4S, you can see the difference.

Apple has sacrificed an all-glass back for a two-tone design which feels lovely in the hand. The aluminium back and sides are all matte finished, too, so while it feels nice to touch, get ready for scratches.

iphonehandson5-640x360.jpg

In the box you get a container with the Apple EarPods, a Lightning cable and the same old AC adapter. The EarPods are close to the ugliest looking headphones I've ever seen, but they're head-and-shoulders above any pair of bundled headphones that have come before. Don't expect to do any running with them though: they're still as loose in your head as they've ever been and the slightest amount of force or pressure will see them yanked out.

The screen still has the same Retina brilliance we've come to expect from the iPhone, so no change there.

iphonehandson6-640x360.jpg

When you get into actually using the device, you'll be putting up with iOS 6, which as we talked about yesterday, has both good and bad points. Check out our review of iOS 6 for more info.

One big problem you'll notice right off the bat is the app cropping. Because the iPhone 5 is larger than any of its predecessors, all the apps are the wrong size. Holding the screen vertically means that you'll see the app centred on the screen at the old iPhone resolution, while turning it horizontally (if it has a horizontal mode) will get you exactly the same result. It's up to app developers to fix their apps as soon as possible, or this will be one ugly app experience.

Speeds on both Optus and Telstra 4G are blisteringly quick, we'll bring you a full comparison of the network speeds later on this afternoon.

Mine came in early this morning but I won't be home to collect it until late tonight. I did however handle my friend's who brought his to work and it is superb. The weight is perfect, size is barely noticeable and it is blisteringly quick and seemless. It almost makes the previous chassis dated even though they're so similar. The thinness is excellent as is the chamfered edge integrated with the body. Shutter speed is shockingly fast too.

Iphone 5 crushes the old iphone, everything is just lovely. The feeling in the hand and despite having apprehension about the longer proportion the slightly larger screen real estate is actually rather welcome (hopefully they shrink the chassis a touch with the 6). The blazing LTE makes 3g look like a joke pages load so fast it's like my cable modem at home but then I'm in southern california where the network is stellar. Shutter speed is incredibly quick plus several other enhancements in ios6 make my old 4 feel like a dinosaur. The beauty with each iphone release is the things you discover that make a huge impact on the overall experience. The multiple speakers are very loud now (a big complaint I had with the 4) and you can easily listen to music when you're away at a hotel without the need for an external speaker (which I have). Excellent purchase, LTE alone is worth upgrading from 4s.

How is it progress when the phone looks like a remote control and the maps don't work?

I have an iPhone 4S and love its shape. The shape of the iPhone 5 is simply illogical. Stretched screen but not enlarged? For what purpose?

What about the maps? What was wrong with Google Maps aka the best mapping system?

I owned, own (3 iPhones, mac air, mac pro, 27 inch mac) and will continue to buy Apple products but the "blindly in love Apple fans" need to get their head out of the hole and stop praising Apple when they mess up.

I don't mean to say that the iPhone 5 is a mess but true LTE (when available that is) is the only advancement with this model. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

I have had mine two days and I'm not one of the "blindly in love Apple fans", it is simply a better phone IMHO. It is lighter, faster and LTE is great but I will have limited use because I'm on wifi most of the time. The whole maps debate, who cares? Go to google maps, bookmark the page to the home screen and it's back. The call quality has been understated as well, I skipped the 4S but it is a big jump in clarity, again just IMO. Some of the new features in IOS6 are cool and probably overdue but you don't need a new phone to make the most of them.

For those who voted ANDROID, are you referring to the Samsung S3 by any chance?

Not really. I do own an S3, but that only just edged out the HTC One XL when I weighed up the pros and cons. I actually like the display and GUI on the One XL over the S3. What I didn't like was the non-removable battery.

I have had mine two days and I'm not one of the "blindly in love Apple fans", it is simply a better phone IMHO. It is lighter, faster and LTE is great but I will have limited use because I'm on wifi most of the time. The whole maps debate, who cares? Go to google maps, bookmark the page to the home screen and it's back. The call quality has been understated as well, I skipped the 4S but it is a big jump in clarity, again just IMO. Some of the new features in IOS6 are cool and probably overdue but you don't need a new phone to make the most of them.

I think people who actually own the 5 understand the differences versus those who handle one in the stores. Once you use them it's painfully apparent the new one is superior but hey maybe a random consumer knows more than Jon Ive. If someone doesn't like it that's fine don't buy one although they always end up doing so due to their outdated tech LOL!!! Those people are my favorite. I also don't understand people's expectations as well.

I just walked into the Verizon store on Friday to see what the buzz was all about and they had plenty of iphone 5's--no lines. :confused:

So what the heck, my old Droid x was due for an upgrade, and I've switched the house over to mac... I like it, super fast, and I've found the map controversy apples and oranges. Google maps does not have navigation, apple's does, and it is super cool--like the dedicated GPS style nav. Anyway it's just another electronic device that makes my existence a little more pleasant. :thumbsup:

While I wait for my iPhone 5 to come in I upgraded my 4s to IOS6 and love the built in turn by turn directions on the new map app but hope they fix the accuracy soon. It is brutal right now. Earlier today in a well established area it suggested I park my car and walk the rest of the way to my destination. Instead of taking its advice and walking the last 15 km's I just kept driving straight for a while before hanging a left to my destination.

Haha ok, bad Apple for having a **** map app. Being powered by TomTom I thought it would have been a little more accurate. Case in point below

post-6595-1348445366855.jpg

post-6595-13484455272709.jpg

Interesting how the river just stops....poor execution Apple now go sit on the naughty seat and think about what you've done. Mind you I'm sure that if I want to travel to New Zealand Apple maps isn't going to tell me to kayak there....

I just walked into the Verizon store on Friday to see what the buzz was all about and they had plenty of iphone 5's--no lines. :confused:

So what the heck, my old Droid x was due for an upgrade, and I've switched the house over to mac... I like it, super fast, and I've found the map controversy apples and oranges. Google maps does not have navigation, apple's does, and it is super cool--like the dedicated GPS style nav. Anyway it's just another electronic device that makes my existence a little more pleasant. :thumbsup:

Which droid phone were you using? I've had turn by turn voice navigation through Google maps on my phones for a few years.