iPhone 5

iPhone 5 - Will you be getting one?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which droid phone were you using?

Motorola Droid X

There was a separate navigation app on mine. Within google maps I would have the option for directions or navigation, where directions would give me a turn by turn list and a line on the map, and nav would take me to the voice over turn by turn--different app.

I never got a prompt to upgrade the maps app but who knows? Probably something I failed to do.

Nevertheless my Apple maps navigation is pretty darn slick, but I live in Dallas so that probably makes a difference.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my iPhone 5 yesterday. It's nice. Feels decent in the hand. Performs briskly. Nice looking screen. A fair upgrade from my old 3GS. Overall, a good phone. Oh, also the onboard speakers work really well. Good volume and good fidelity.

Wilkey

Wait for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 which is out soon. This is an awesome bit of kit. A kind of mobile phone / pad hybrid. So a bit of a brick but will be amazing. The original Note still sells well. More towards a computer than a phone, but hell what do you use smartphones for anyway?

I am betting that the maps on iPhone will be fixed pretty quickly. They are taking a lot of heat over it. If I remember right there are a couple good map apps on the iTunes store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

lol @ all this fuss over a map

I use my navigation in the car and that isn't perfect but it works. The phone is superior, now everyone who hated on it wants one LMAO.

In the top 3 apps I use.

seriously...geting home to the hotel at 4am in a strange town is not always easy :rolleyes:

I am betting that the maps on iPhone will be fixed pretty quickly. They are taking a lot of heat over it. If I remember right there are a couple good map apps on the iTunes store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, Apple have created a team specifically to fix the map issues. Here's a pic of the team...

post-1537-0-15329200-1348722140.jpg

Really thought about upgrading my 4S, but in the end just wasn't worth it. Those of you that got the 5, congrats, I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. Those of us that still have 4G but too early to upgrade (and lose unlimited data), we'll just wait for the "5S" :buddies:

Watch The iPhone 5 Get Shot With A Sniper Rifle

Why you ask....? Because it's pointless but cool.

Hey, you know what would be a nice, cathartic response to the tsunami of iPhone 5 coverage? Shooting it with a giant Barrett .50 calibre sniper rifle.

Scratches on the iPhone 5 are "normal", according to Phil Schiller

iphone-5-review-11-640x426.jpeg

The other day we reported that some iPhone 5 owners had stated that their iPhone units were damaged out of the box. According to some, this is due to Apple's choice of anodized aluminum instead of stainless steel, with the former not only being lighter, but apparently softer which makes it more susceptible to scratches. Naturally after forking out a few hundred dollars for a new phone, many users are upset about this.

Was this an engineering or production problem that can be fixed? Apparently not as according to an email sent by Apple's Senior Marketing VP Phil Schiller, this is "normal". This email was sent in response to an iPhone user who asked if the scuffs and scratches were a problem that Apple would be fixing. In the email Schiller stated, "Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color."

His response feels similar to the answer Apple gave during the "antennagate" incident in which they responded by saying users were holding the phone the "wrong way". While we understand that our phones are prone to scratches and scuffs over time, like we said earlier, forking out a few hundred dollars we expect our phones to stay in pristine condition for at least a good few months before the wear and tear sets in, assuming you don't abuse it of course, wouldn't you agree?

Mika,

It's the typical Apple answer: IT'S NOT APPLE'S FAULT.

Antenna problem: you hold it wrong.

Scratches on new product: it's normal.

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

:D

If its all true and the new iPhone is made from Aluminium, thats pretty bad.

This material might make it lighter but it is really easily scratched.

I purchased an aluminium phone cover for my 4S a while back, it looked great until a day later where I noticed about 3 scratches...:thinking: the problem is, is that the scratches stand out because the case is only colour coated much like the iPhones, so I hear.

So it isn't mint in box when you get it? For Apple, that's pretty poor QA.

So will Apple's answer be along the lines of the iPhone 4 antenna problem?... "Any aluminium product may scratch or chip with use. This is the fact of every phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 5, avoid touching your phone, or simply use one of many cases available..." :D