Montecristo Gran Reserva

Lotusguy

Box code unknown since it was a gift from Art at the Montreal herf early this year - thanks again, brother! Stored at 65% since January 2012.

Paired with diet Pepsi.

Medium Colorado wrapper. Very smooth. Aroma at cold is sweet cafe au lait.

Perfect draw - not too loose, not too tight.

First puffs immediately creamy and velvety mouth coating smoke with just a bit of the Cuban "twang". On the light side of medium body.

First third: Sweet cream. Extremely long finish. Very smooth on the retrohale. No harshness or bitterness at all. Good burn, but not razor sharp. Tastes like a top-notch Monte #2. The main difference is the longer finish. Zebra-like ash. Slight run developing along a vein in the wrapper but no touch-up needed so far. Half way through the third, the body moves right into medium. More deeper roasted notes develop. Average amount of smoke. Some toffee notes noticeable. Burn is now getting a bit weavy but I am resisting the urge to touch up so as to not risk overheating the cigar.

Second third: "Twang" more noticeable. Burn self-corrects. A bit of lemon peel creeping in but vanishes about half way through this third. Cafe au lait on the retrohale. Still extremely smooth and long finish. Remains medium-bodied. Ash is holding very nicely without any special effort. I slide off the bands. This cigar reminds me of why I love Monte #2s so much when they are ON. Darker roasted notes pick up like adding an extra shot to your au lait. Very enjoyable cigar so far. Ash falls almost at the midway point. Impressive! Right after, I detect roasted hazelnut. I give the cigar one slight touchup so the burn stays straight.

Last third: Continues like the end of the second third with the strength picking up a bit towards the very end. This cigar really is like a Monte #2 that went to finishing school. Not much more to say as I sit back and just enjoy the mouth coating smoke. Not much of a nicotine kick so this stick could easily be smoked in the morning even. One more slight touchup was required. Nubbed it, of course :)

Final thoughts: Smoking time was about 1:30. I would rate it a 94 (1 point deduction for the touchups). Honestly, I would not be a buyer of a box since it didn't offer much beyond a really good Monte #2. The price is simply not justified for me. I'd rather spend less on a well-picked box of aged "regular" #2s. However, I am very happy that I was able to try one of these rare beauties.

post-7384-0-31718400-1347745717.jpg

post-7384-0-00092200-1347745728.jpg

post-7384-0-84049200-1347745739.jpg

post-7384-0-90763500-1347745748.jpg

post-7384-0-61536400-1347745755.jpg

post-7384-0-80933500-1347745762.jpg

post-7384-0-17002000-1347745769.jpg

post-7384-0-95430000-1347745778.jpg

Nice review..In Australia have only been able to buy these in singles as most retailers have received just one box.$113 a piece. So I only purchased one. Not sure when I will smoke it. I like pairing cigars with diet pepsi as well..that caramel taste dose go well with cigars.However the GR will probably go down with something a little stronger..Very generous for someone to give you one.